Rossi 38 special

Discussion in 'Rossi' started by Agent006, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Agent006

Agent006 G&G Newbie

Well, at the last gun show I had pretty low expectations. I was really just looking for something different. I narrowed it down to a handgun for $200 or less, making this a good example of buying a handgun on a budget. Really, I came to discover that "cheap" handguns are getting harder to find, at least around here.

I ran across several .25 autos, most going for $200 or more. They looked like real jam-omatics, too. High Points were selling new for around $147. Even the average .22 pistol seemed to average well over $250. Hm... maybe it's just the gun show but most gun shops and pawn shops are about the same. I did see a decent CZ52 right at $200 but I turned it down. It just didn't feel right and the grips were ugly. I'll just pick out my own later on somewhere else. I was really just wanting one of those normal... inexpensive handguns!

So, the closest I found was the Rossi. It was small, shiney, and sort of charming with it's old nickel finish. It's the sort of handgun that makes half of you feel like a undercover detective in some old 1950's mystery movie, and the other half feel like you're about to pull a balaclava over your head and run off to the 7-11 to "pick up a few things." >_>

ImageShack - Hosting :: rossipicqs1.jpg

Anyways, it's not particularly impressive but it's little grips fit perfectly in my girlfriend's small hand and is very tight and secure in my own. It's a 5-shot revolver, keeping the cylinder more compact so that the barrel is set deeper in relation to your hand. It's a very quaint design with the firing pin mounted directly to the hammer. The guy said these were copied after Colt's but it cosmetically reminds me of an old Smith. I find myself looking at it a lot because it fascinates me for some reason. I think it's the simple style of the revolver and it's nickel finish. I'd always wanted a nickel gun. But overall, I like the gun and I consider it a decent gun to get my girlfriend and my sister more comfortable with shooting revolvers. I told them that I wanted them to experience the .38 in the way that I did the first time I fired one. The recoil is surely more fun with a small gun like this. My heavy 6-inch L-frame .357 turns the .38 into a rather puny fart... xD

So anyways, any thoughts on the Rossi? I believe it's the model 68, although I can't find it marked anywhere.
  2. BloodRedStratus

BloodRedStratus G&G Newbie

Nice little gun. I agree that it is getting harder and harder to get a good deal on guns at gun shows and pawn shops. Last year I went to a local gun show that is kind of a big deal locally every year. I was looking at hand guns and no one would even talk to me. Yeah I know I look young, I am 25, but I honestly look like I am maybe 18, plus I am short, so of course I don't even look old enough to most people to even buy a hand gun. If they wouldn't talk, then I don't want your gun.
  3. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

i got a cz 52 for 25 bucks because the idiot didnt know the pin was broke and that cost me like 17 bucks sooooo that rocked . also i got a highpoint 9mm for 100 bucks thats a great cheapo gun.

and i got some weird german 22 revolver for 70 bucks it neened work though < you just got to look around.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. Jay1958

Jay1958 G&G Newbie

That's a really nice looking revolver! Is that a 4-inch barrel? I have a more recent model 972 6-inch barrel .357 magnum Rossi. I'm quite satisfied with it so far, but I only have about 350 rounds thru it so far.
  5. Agent006

Agent006 G&G Newbie

I haven't checked this forum in awhile! But, I recently went shooting with my sister and tried out the Rossi amongst all the other stuff I've bought that I haven't tried yet. Just like I'd hoped, .38 Special actually feels pretty potent out of that small revolver. Most of the ammo I had were old reloads with plain lead bullets and the powder from those actually produced some smoke and left the gun's cylinder and parts of the frame coated in gun powder residue. I couldn't tell that it was particularly accurate but it certainly seemed capable as a self defense gun.

The barrel is about a 3-inch, though it probably looks longer in the picture because of the angle and the relatively small size of the gun's frame.
  6. Miss.Smith

Miss.Smith G&G Newbie

I just wanted to say I have that exact gun. I love it. It's very easy for a woman to use. Although I do prefer My desert eagle to the little Rossi. But, It is a good gun for my teenager to learn to use.

By, the way, I am new to the site. I just stumbled across it and found it very informative.

Caos, Miss. Smith
  7. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

Welcome to G&G Miss.Smith! There is generally more activity on the site in the evening, as people are off work. Our Unofficial First Lady of G&G, Texas T, likes to count all the ladies and bring them under her wing...much like a Mother Goose with her little ganders. So be sure to say "Hello" to her when she is on. She was looking for holster advice in the Women's Forum. Maybe you can help her out. Triggerjerk and billy were of no help...as usual. :jester:
  8. gunney_m

gunney_m Suspended

Welcom To G&G.
  9. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.
    Welcome aboard MissSmith. There is a womans rollcall thread on the womens' shooter forum, under the specialty forum section.
  10. stitchclimber

stitchclimber G&G Newbie

I picked up a snub nosed Rossi a few weeks back at a great deal, glad to see you found one too.
  11. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Looks good to me Agent006, I've always liked the nickel\wood look and I've heard very few unfavorable reports on Rossi revovlvers. BTW, Miss.Smith, welcome to G&G!
  12. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

That's right. You two dingbats were of no help!
  13. Miss.Smith

Miss.Smith G&G Newbie

Alright, no fighting. lol Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
  14. Agent006

Agent006 G&G Newbie

My Rossi forum revisited once again! Welcome to G&G, Miss Smith! It does seem that a great many people do approve of this neat little gun even though it comes off as being cheap. I saw one like mine at a pawn shop with a nice, thicker barrel with a solid ejector shroud that I really wanted. It was in a flawless nickel finish with some sort of gold accents to the trigger and hammer.

Say... am I the only one who noticed that the lady said she preferred her DESERT EAGLE?? o__o Um...Holy crap?
  15. Miss.Smith

Miss.Smith G&G Newbie

My Rossi Looks alot like the one you have Agent006. And it makes a really loud noise when you fire it. lol The neighbors hate it when I fire it at the target in my backyard every now and again.

And yes, My desert eagles, of which I have 4, are my favorite. Not counting my 2 baby eagles(9mm) I carry to work.
  16. Doctor Larry K

Doctor Larry K G&G Newbie

Miss.Smith
    Welcome aboard. You carry 2 baby eagles to work. Its sounds like you are under-gunned. Get an AK and keep those pesky fellow employees in line.

Doc
  17. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i was bending over backwards to give you the very best advise i could on thunderwear.
  18. cpapchap

cpapchap G&G Newbie

Hi Agent 006,
    I found that exact wheelie in a pawn shop a couple of months ago and found that with the small grips I couldn't hit the side of a barn. This very day I found a set of oversized rubbers at the gun show and gleefully ran to the range and wallah!!! I still suck but the gun now feels fantastic. Really helped with the recoil and I can hit a barn if I'm attacked by one! My fave gun is still my .357 7 shot Taurus Magnum Tracker in S/S with a 4in ported bbl. Love it!!! Long live Wheelies!!!!!!!
  19. eddiedeverell

eddiedeverell G&G Newbie

Hi new lady of gun and game! it sounds like a god gun agent006, I wish I could find one!
  20. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Welcome Miss Smith!