Rossi Firearms

Discussion in 'Rossi' started by .22guy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Any one have opinions about Rossi firearms? Recently had my FFL dealer order one up for my young son, it's a .22LR and 20GA matched set. A friend of mine said that they are crap and the barrels, etc are soft steal.

I was also considering ordering one up for myself, maybe a .223/12GA matched set, or maybe a .22mag single barrel. Any thoughts, experiences?
    Thanks,
    Russ
  2. alex12/7

alex12/7 G&G Newbie

My 25 yr old Rossi pump action .22 replica Rem gallery gun has 20K rds thru it w/no issues. I can't speak for a Rossi centerfire, but the low pressures found in rimfire and shotguns the barrels and actions should last forever if properly cared for. Is the matched set a over under turkey gun type arrangement? If so, this gun will cannot be wore out in our life times.
  3. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

If they're crap then there are about 10 million other crap owners out there. I've seen more complaints about Remington and Winchester than I've seen about Rossi. The fit and finish of most of them IS pretty crappy but they seem to function great. They are the Brazilian version of the H&R's which aren't real pretty either.
  4. Johnny_Revolver

Johnny_Revolver G&G Newbie

I have a .308 Rossi Pomba ( means dove I think ) break action single shot. Fit and finish are fairly decent, it`s `stainless` finish which is silver paint to you and me. It isnt terribley accurate and resale is nil for them here so I put a 4 power scope on it, and try to shoot bigger stuff with it close up which evens things out a tad. If I had my time over, I`d spend what the Rossi cost me new, on something second hand, and bolt action. However, in the calibre`s your talking I hear people say they`ve found joy with the Rossi.
  5. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

OK, thanks for the input guys. I'll see what my dealer says when I pick up my son's deal. I might just go for a .22 mag and call it good. Always wanted one, never had one. Thanks again.
    Russ
  6. herbdog

herbdog G&G Newbie

.22guy:
    I've been shooting Rossi guns fora number of years now and have found them to be just as reliable as any other gun out there. As for acurac6y

.22guy:
    I've been shooting Rossi guns for a number of years now and have found them to be just as reliable as any other gun out there. As for accuracy I can truthfully say this, I presently hunt with my Rossi 12 gauge slug gun and my 50 cal. black powder rifle. Out of the box the slug barrel amazed me. I also own an Ithaca Deer Slayer (12 gauge pump with rifled barrel) I haven't used the Ithaca since I bought the Rossi. The Rossi barrel has 2 full twists to the rifling where the Ithaca only has 1. Simple logic tells you the more the slug turns the more accurate it is. I'm not saying the Ithaca isn't accurate because it is. However, One against the other I put six shell through the Rossi without loosing accuracy. I can only put three through the Ithaca before I start to loose accuracy (due to heat) I don't loose much but none the less I do loose some. The Rossi barrel is also drilled at the end of the barrel to help lessen the recoil of the gun and the Ithaca isn't. I paid more than twice the price for the Ithaca then the Rossi and I got two barrels with the Rossi. The Rossi black powder barrel has only 1 twist and it too holds it's accuracy very well. As far as resale, I don't plan on selling the gun so why should I care. I am partial to the satin finish instead of the gloss finish and the Rossi has a satin finish ( no reflection from the sun when hunting) In case you haven't figured it out, my opinion of Rossi firearms is well above average. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rossi gun.

.22guy:
    I've been shooting Rossi guns for a number of years now and have found them to be just as reliable as any other gun out there. As for accuracy I can truthfully say this, I presently hunt with my Rossi 12 gauge slug gun and my 50 cal. black powder rifle. Out of the box the slug barrel amazed me. I also own an Ithaca Deer Slayer (12 gauge pump with rifled barrel) I haven't used the Ithaca since I bought the Rossi. The Rossi barrel has 2 full twists to the rifling where the Ithaca only has 1. Simple logic tells you the more the slug turns the more accurate it is. I'm not saying the Ithaca isn't accurate because it is. However, One against the other I put six shell through the Rossi without loosing accuracy. I can only put three through the Ithaca before I start to loose accuracy (due to heat) I don't loose much but none the less I do loose some. The Rossi barrel is also drilled at the end of the barrel to help lessen the recoil of the gun and the Ithaca isn't. I paid more than twice the price for the Ithaca then the Rossi and I got two barrels with the Rossi. The Rossi black powder barrel has only 1 twist and it too holds it's accuracy very well. As far as resale, I don't plan on selling the gun so why should I care. I am partial to the satin finish instead of the gloss finish and the Rossi has a satin finish ( no reflection from the sun when hunting) In case you haven't figured it out, my opinion of Rossi firearms is well above average. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Rossi gun.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  7. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Have you considered the dealer might be wanting to steer you toward their more profitable guns for sale? Rossi's are a good buy for the consumer.
  8. polarnewfie

polarnewfie G&G Newbie

I own a Rossi Single 12 guage and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it is as good as any single barrel I have shot before. The ejector is faithful, the trigger is solid, and the barrel cools quickly. I shoot dozens and dozens of grouse and ptarmigan in a session and It hasnt let me down in 5 years. I bought it on sale for 99 bucks and I wish I had bought 2 or 3 (in 20 and .410 guage also)
    Fit and finish is average but for that price you can let it fall on the ground accidentally and not have a mini heart attack. The hammer has to be manually cocked so no accidental firings. I'd say go for it with one, My friend has a centerfire in .243 (I think with a .20 guage barrel also) and uses it sucessfully on a variety of game. Cheap, reliable, and decently accurate. How can you lose?
  9. ditchdigger395

ditchdigger395 G&G Newbie

i have a match pair rossi 12ga. 243 50cal . and my brother has one also we bought them a year apart and after about 25 shots the hammer wount go down when you pull the trigger we sent them back and mine stell does it sometimes. that no good when you are hunting.
  10. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Rossi is very high quality

Rossi is an international player in the firearms field.
    It has stood the test of the marketplace for many, many decades. Do not fear the quality of the Rossi firearm. The basic problem for Rossi is their desire to sell at a lower cost in the marketplace thus making a smaller profit margin for the gun dealer. That is a real source of the negative comments about Rossi firearms in the gunstore.
    I currently own a 20 gauge and find it reliable and on a par with any other manufacturer in terms of projectile placement.
  11. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Rossi was bought by Tarrus , I think . Brazil .

I have a reproduction M 92 lever gun in .45 LC . I like it , but have not shot it much .

Also consider the NEF ( New England Firearms ) / H&R . Same company . USA .

You can send the frame of the rifle in and they can factory fit additional barrels .

I do not think Rossi will do this ? Although I have heard they have been promising to for years ?

God bless
    wyr
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  12. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

my younger brother has a rossi with the .22/ 20 ga interchangeable barrels and has never had a problem. Fairly accurate and you can fit the .22 with a little 4x scope and go squirrel slaying.
  13. GibsonII

GibsonII G&G Newbie

I have some good info on your rossi pair . I have one my dad has one and I have another rossi for about 23yrs. You can call me if u like @423-605-8329
  14. Davenay1

Davenay1 G&G Newbie

Rossi sux!

Rossi recieved my gun Jan 20 2008 and i STILL have haven`t had it repaiered Becaused there are still hundreds of other customers guns ahead of me !!! What kind of product has this kind of needed repairs????? Gander Mountain told me they no longer will carry any Rossi product because of ALL the returns they have recieved THESE PEOPL ARE A BUNCH OF FUX!!! Christian the manager just hung up on me !!!! ANOTHER TWO WEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEFORE IT DONE !!!! YOU deal with Rossi YOU take the ..whatever ROSSI SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

i had a rossi 20 gauge slug gun that i loved and it was the most accurate slug gun i ever had. i never had a single problem with that gun at all
  16. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

My experience

I have a Rossi 20 gauge rifled slug gun that is a top level performer.
    Rossi is a successful (for many decades) international arms manufacturer
    and that says a lot in the very competitive world of firearms sales.

One reason dealers often knock Rossi is a low profit margin for the dealer
    on Rossi firearms.
  17. soulracer

soulracer G&G Newbie

I have a second hand Rossi .357 snub nose revolver..first I had ever heard of Rossi..Brazilian made, bought or distributed by Taurus now. I and previous owner have shot many rounds through it with no issues. Customer service.? I have no clue..have never needed to use them. Only complaint I have is the rubber handle..I hate rubber handles..plus, it gets in the way of my speed loader.
  18. stitchclimber

stitchclimber G&G Newbie

I have 3 rossi's 2 revolvers and rifle. Love em all. Wouldn't trade them for anything
  19. Drifter40

Drifter40 G&G Newbie

Theres not a damn thing wrong with a Rossi firearm ive had a 357 Revolver by Rossi for over 12 years an fired a butt load of rounds thru it both 38 and 357 never a problem an now iam tring to findout the history of the peice but Rossi doesnt have it on file lol they say all there firearm serial start with two letters then six numbers mine has one letter then six numbers so iam still lookin .
  20. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

With that attitude, I'm not surprised they hung up on you. Nice first post tho...