RPK mods

Discussion in 'AK47' started by asdaven, Jan 11, 2013.

1. asdaven

asdaven G&G Regular

Hi-
    I have a Romanian RPK AES-10B. I want to make it friendlier to offhand shooting. Ive taken the Bipod off, which isnt a big deal to take on and off. And ive replaced the slant brake that Century put on there and got a Romanian AIMR flash suppressor for it, which some people suggested online. I originally got a AK74 brake for it, but I was told a muzzle brake is not needed with a 23" barrel plus it makes it adds some weight to the end of a already heavy barrel, and a flash suppressor or muzzle nut is what I wanted. was wondering if the foregrip on the RPK is different from the AK foregrip. Reason being, the Romanians made a wood fore grip with a wood pistol grip on it.
    Here's a furniture set with the fore grip piece I'm talking about:

AK 3-Piece Wood Stock Set Part #STKAKA04

Would this fit on the RPK? How do you remove and install the foregrip/lower hand guard? Should I keep the clubfoot stock or replace it with a standard AK stock?

Thanks
  2. A-10

A-10 G&G Newbie

I'm not sure, but I think it would, but may need some modification as the RPK has a thicker barrel and normally has a looser fitting forend to slow some of the heat transfer to the grip.
  3. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

RPKs and MAKs have huge beefy trunions. Material will need to be removed to get practically any stock set to fit. It's not a big deal with a power sander and some 36g though. Just keep removing material until it matches the set you removed. Grind and check, grind and check.

Club foot is a bit iconic RPK. I'd keep it or go with a synthetic set and matching club foot. I would most recommend a K-VAR club foot and some front rails you could mount whatever pod or grip you wanted.
  4. asdaven

asdaven G&G Regular

I would like to keep it all wood furniture. The wooden clubfoot stock will stay, it actually shoulders well. So, really I guess im just looking to put that Romanian AK wooden lower handguard/foregrip on it. Hows does the lower hand guard come on and off?
    Thanks-
  5. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

Remove the bolt carrier and piston.

There is a latch under the rear sight, right side, in the trunion. Grunt on it with a dowel and mallet if you have to. Swing it more or less vertical, to turn the flat of the pin (visible in front of the sight) to the gas tube.

Then, lift out the gas tube to access the lower hand-guard release pin. Put some muscle on this pin and slide the collar forward and the lower guard falls off.