Rubber recoil pad on mosin?

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Russian Rifle, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Russian Rifle

Russian Rifle G&G Newbie

Would a rubber recoil pad reduce the felt recoil if I put one on my Mosin Nagant or would I be wasting my money if I bought one?
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

The limbsaver and the walmart (winchester I think) do help the reduce felt recoil. Heck, even a mouse pad folded in half will help as it spreads the shock to a larger area of your person.
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

There are a couple of companies that make hard rubber recoil pads specifically for the Mighty Mosin. One size fits all models. David's Collectibles sells them for abut $15 each. I have them on my shootin' Mosins ( as opposed to my collectin' Mosins). They reduce felt recoil from the 7.62x54R cartridge to about that of a 7.62x39 ComBloc round or the US .30 Carbine round. They also increase the length of pull, which if you are taller than 5'06" or so will do more to improve your accuracy than you might think.

You can find them on eBay, GunBroker.com, Cheaper Than Dirt and other gun-related sites. Just go to Google, enter "Mosin Nagant rubber buttpad" as the search string, and you'll find sources for them.
  4. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

No wussy pads
  5. Dylandance

Dylandance G&G Newbie

6. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

Anybody put one of those Wally World pads on an M39 Finn? If you did, which size did you get? I have heard that a small fits the 91/30, but I don't know if it will fit the Finn. The Finn stock seems like it has a lot bigger butt on it than the 91/30's do.

Verne
  7. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

8. tobnpr

tobnpr G&G Enthusiast

This one arrives today:
    GRIND AWAY RECOIL PAD SMALL - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Provided I was accurate reading the tape, it should fit my Mosin in the Boyd's stock almost perfectly with very little grinding. Ignore the "wussy" comments... I put 100 rounds plus through mine and have no problems handling the recoil, though they do kick like a 12 ga. It's all about maintaining controllability of the weapon for the follow up shot. Same reason I want to add a brake- controlling recoil makes target re-acquisition much faster and easier.

If your rifle ends up pointing fifty feet from your point of aim after the shot, you're not in a very good position for quick follow-up.
  9. E_005

E_005 G&G Regular

I have the same one and they work great. I really like the extra length of pull. Plus it's nice to put 80 or 100 rnds. through it in a range session (waring a tee shirt in the summer) without a bruised and sore shoulder. Like tobnpr said ignore the "wussy" comments, shooting your rifle is supposed to be fun. I don't mind recoil, but when I go to the range I usually spend a few hrs. shooting, and like to be able to use my arm after.
  10. Vintovka

Vintovka G&G Newbie

i have a kick killer shoulder recoil pad, and its absolutely amazing. its kind of expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion. you can see one e.g. here:

Cabela's: Kick Killer Shoulder Pad Recoil Reducers

its hard to describe just how well it works. i'm not sure i can compare it to the felt recoil of any other well known cartridge, as I haven't fired too many different types. i do have a .40 S&W pistol carbine, and a mosin with the shoulder pad kicks just a little bit harder than that. but to be sure, when i wear this pad i can shoot the mosin all day long and not even get sore. its that damn good.

another nice thing about a shoulder pad is that, like a slip on butt pad, you only need one.

btw, in the interest of full disclosure, its easy for me to say its worth every penny since mine was free :D (it was a gift from my dad)
  11. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

can i just strap you too my shoulder before i shoot?
  12. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

don't know how wally world pads fit. we don't have one close to san franisco. (amen) but i do know that the m39 butt is about an eighth inch wider than a 91/30 and that a davids rubber butt wou;d be fine on it.
  13. Nerd

Nerd G&G Newbie

Those points make sense when firing a semi-auto, but for a bolt-action they seem less relevant (unless you can remain perfectly still while cycling the bolt).
  14. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

My dad put on on his 91/30 and honestly I don't like it. I prefer the feel of that metal. Then again he thinks it has huge recoil and I think it has little recoil so........
  15. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

I've got those Redbird hard rubber stinky things on two of mine. I don't think they really cushion much, even after I drilled them out, like the instructions say. I do like the longer pull they provide though. For the Finn, I have been folding up a wash rag and putting it between the butt and my shoulder. Or, sometimes I just wear a heavy coat. Yesterday, it became summer here in Las Vegas, so it's going to be Tshirt weather for a while. I need something a little more high tech than a folded wash rag. I know, I'll just take the Finn to Wally World and try on the Limbsavers.

Verne
  16. ctreser

ctreser G&G Regular Forum Contributor

I don't have one of those hard rubber pads but I checked one out at a gun show. For the life of me I don't know why they are made so hard. They are like 80 durometer and should be about 40-50 durometer.
    If you reload you can shoot for hours with no problems.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I tried putting rubbers on my Mosins, they still seemed to reproduce when I put them in a dark closet.
  18. tobnpr

tobnpr G&G Enthusiast

Point taken; but a follow-up shot, is a follow-up shot...

UPS just pulled up and I'll be installing the pad so I'll know next week whether it helps. The slight movement from bolt pull isn't my issue- I can stay in the same zip code when just cycling the bolt. As it is now, when shooting off the bipod the rifle jumps to the extent that I need to back off the magnification of the scope to re-acquire at 200 yards. Any help I can get in keeping the barrel pointed at the target is gonna help. We'll see...
  19. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I don't know. Jumping off the bipod seems like a muzzle brake that redirects some of the recoil down would be a better bet.
  20. tobnpr

tobnpr G&G Enthusiast

Yup- I agree, it would be...
    Next on the list. I'm thinking 'bout cutting down my barrel (just to make the rifle more manageable) but I need to check the difference in barrel dia. to see if the KA brake will still fit. I've never shot a carbine- hope to own one as soon as my C&R gets here- but I'll bet they'd really benefit from a brake.

For some reason, they don't seem to be very popular. Probably because of the expense of threading the barrel (the KA is the only pin-on one I've seen)?