Rude display of weapon...Huh?

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by oldjarhead, Apr 15, 2013.

1. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

"Texas War Veteran Arrested For "Rudely Displaying a Weapon"

You may need to copy and paste the above phrase to find the information.

(to the tune of mickey mouse)

G E S...T A P O...U S S of A

Texas!!!!!!
  2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I don't agree with what happened, but some friends of the arresting officers are on another forum that I frequent, and there is supposedly quite a bit more to the story than that short video clip would have you believe. They obviously can't talk about it, as they are fellow officers, and the general consensus is that the charges will be dropped, but legally, he was being rude and argumentative after being asked to disarm after walking down a public road with an AR slung across his back, prompting his arrest, which he then resisted.
    Now, I've been stopped before while armed, but never asked to disarm, and I truly believe that a bit of restraint on both sides could've prevented this from ever happening.
  3. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

I'll bet they didn't know he was a war veteran when they saw him walking down the road.
    Rule of thumb...when an LEO is giving you an order, that is the wrong time to argue with him. That's why we have courts. Take your beef to the judge.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

5. toolman

6. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

Since Texas is a concealed carry state, I'm not sure about the legality of him carrying an AR, or any firearm openly, but that will come out in the presumed investigation.

There is a difference in a person just going about their business with no intention of making a scene, then being harrassed by someone who's authority has gone to their head & the person that goes out of their way in order to "make a point", deliberately trying to create a scene.

If we can believe this story, it would appear that the former is the case & the policeman should be fired & the city liable for damages. As for the defendant scaring people with his AR, I didn't see any mention of a complaint being filed by anyone that would justify the policeman even stopping him.
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Story

oldjarhead: Sir, 2 stories. Yours really upsets me. Officers going after my yours theirs child is wrong
    Dang right, I'd use ever available means in my response.

toolman: Sir, he seems strange, maybe even embellish some. Does this give cause for such action. I think not
  8. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

9. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

It worked for me. It paints a picture of the veteran, opposite of what the Fox News link does. So, who knows what the real story is.
  10. toolman

Craig, the arrest was not for walking down the road with the AR, it was for refusing to disarm when asked to by the LEO's. As I stated above, this is supposedly just a very short clip out of a longer video. Not saying the LEO's are in the right, especially given the way they responded to his questions, but apparently, the guy went off the rails over being legally asked to disarm during questioning. Sort of like being stopped because your vehicle looks like one used in a robbery and going off on the cop when he asks you to remove your CCW while they check it out. This is perfectly legal in almost every state, but they should've kept their mouths shut when he started asking them questions...
  11. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

My main complaint would be, if true, is how his kid was treated after they took him in. That policeman should be fired for that, regardless of the legality of what went down with the kid's dad.
  12. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Outrage

toolman: Sir, I understood, I think yours. Yes, maybe he should have been more
    Compliant.
    But, when the officer kept the child, refusing the child release, until he forced this child to talk. This violates all child protection acts. Officer violated the child's rights.
    Officer needs relieved of all duties, placed in jail.
  13. 99dragon99

OK, I have tried to do searches on this, but it always links back to the blocked page. One web site had even pulled the thread. I am guessing that there is something phishy about the site and the story...
  14. toolman

Don't know, it works fine for me. Here's another link, but you have to scroll down to the third article.

Michael Yon - Online Magazine

Now this may all be B/S, but the guys I've talked to who work with the LEO's in the video swear that these are actually stand-up, solid police officers and that the video clip is just sort of cherry-picked from the larger video showing what actually happened.
  15. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

You want some attention, you just carry your AR around.
  16. 99dragon99

Thanks... That one actually came up.

After reading what's on the website... I have a hard time accepting anything this guy writes... Why Grisham would stalk a Thai reporter is beyond me... not knowing the truth, he sounds like a Micheal Moore kinda guy...
  17. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

No matter the circumstances many of the Leo's comments concern me.

"Anyone with a weapon is considered dangerous",ect.???