Ruger 10/22 Adjustable Stocks For Children

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by DaTeacha, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I'll ask here. I'm looking for an adjustable stock to enable the grandkids to use my 10/22s. It would need to be adjustable in length of pull and have a small size or multiple size pistol grip for their small hands.

They're getting old enough to get into shooting and I don't want to buy another cricket. What I'd like to see is a shooting match with one of those dueling metal targets and two grandkids going at it. I just need to get stocks for two of my guns that will fit their hands.

So, who has one, what is it, how do you like it overall?

Thanks, people.
  2. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

DaTeacher I have never seen a stock as you describe and i have been a gumsmith for many many years there are youth stocks but one that adjust's the way you are talking about would in my mine be very expensive.
    Steve
  3. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

ATI strike force stock has an adjustable buttstock like an AR, the pistol grip is not adjustable and might be too large, that is a good quality stock though. Tapco makes a few stocks for them also. The 10/22 stock isnt that big to begin with so im not sure youll find much that is smaller. I went back to my factory 10/22 stock, after i got an AR i didnt need my 10/22 to be like one:p
  4. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Tapco and ATI both make adjustable 10/22 stocks. The grip looks like it may be a little large for small hands though.
  5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

anything thats not a piece of junk is going to get expensive. making a stock with adjustable LOP isnt the end of the world, but wanting different sized pistol grips also,probably not going to find it. it is the challenge of young shooters, either your using some junk pile like a cricket, or a gun that doesnt fit. if you had 2 10/22's, id just hack down the butt on a factory wood stock so it was short enough for them, as factory 10/22 stocks can be found for under $20 normally.
  6. DaTeacha

I need to find one at a show. Mine are walnut and not something I want to chop up.
  7. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Teach, the comments so far are pretty good. The Tapco stocks are reasonable, and the kids would get used to holding them, so adjustable pistol grips wouldn't be necessary. Some good formed shooting bags would be a help in getting them started! That way, holding and supporting the rifle wouldn't be that big an issue!
  8. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Why not just buy a used standard stock, like this one here, and only $25 bucks +$12.95 to ship it, and cut it down to fit them. Just another option and all you have to do is change out the stock when you're going to have them shoot it. FWIW, I believe they also sell a junior 10/22? Something to look into also though and they'd then have one dedicated to them. And then when they get bigger you can restock that one again specifically for them. Well, you can do that even if you got a standard stock and cut it down to fit them.

Ruger 10-22 Wood Stock : Stocks at GunBroker.com

Here's another...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=246217031
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. DaTeacha

Their hands don't fit around the standard pistol grip very well. I tried when my own kids were small to make a cut down stock, but I couldn't get the radius of the pistol grip/trigger to where it worked for them.

I guess I need to go to a show and find a stock stock and cut it down or spend $80 or more for one of the adjustables. Darn, I just having an excuse, ooops, I mean a reason, to go to a gun show! And there just happens to be one coming up this weekend in Cleveland. Hmmmm.
  10. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Then I'd suggest one of the stocks I linked above even more. Because not only could you cut one down to make the LOP fit them, you could also do some work to the grip area. And I think anything you get, unless it's specifically designed for a youth shooter, the grip area is going to be somewhat big, would it not? Again, I'd still get a stock and do some work on it.

Another thought that just came to mind is, and I'll forewarn ya', it's a totally different direction, but, what about, and why not just get them a youth .22 Cricket rifle?

http://www.crickett.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=8b9iv9r5iqp0brmhbfjvqgvpu2

http://www.crickett.com/shop_by_brand.php?manufacturers_id=27

At Bud's Gun shop for like $110...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_211
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  11. DaTeacha

I have a Cricket for them. It works, but they will rapidly move into a scope configuration, being of the screen reading generation. It wouldn't work for a dueling targets game unless I bought another one, and I would rather put the money into an adjustable stock. The one I have came from Dick's Sporting Goods in Mansfield for $90, NIB.
  12. DaTeacha

So, today I found a beechwood factory stock for $17 (after just a little haggling) at a show. In talking to the guy about what I planned to do, he suggested making it into a straight grip so the kids hands can make the distance to the trigger. That seemed like a pretty good idea, but on the drive home that I could insert some of those brass machine thread pieces about 1/2" or so apart along the flat I make behind the trigger guard and then make a small diameter pistol grip with a hole through it that will be able to move it so the small hands can hold the pistol grip and still reach the trigger.

What do you think? Shortening the LOP is no big deal, but the pistol grip being able to mount in several places seems like an interesting little project. Will the wood stock take the insertion of several of those little inserts, or should I think in terms of routing a groove and putting in a piece of steel with several threaded holes along its length?
  13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

a straight grip is not a bad idea, it fits anyone no matter how small the hands. to be honest, i grew up with an 1890 winchester with the straight grip, and that rifle fits my hands as good now at 40yrs old as it did when i was 4yrs old.
  14. DaTeacha

Looking at the stock sitting here, I think I will need to make it narrower, too, although there isn't a lot to work with. At least the stock is not highly stressed in the wrist area unless someone uses it like a club.