Ruger 10/22 Vs. Marlin 795, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by TomG, Apr 14, 2009.

1. TomG

TomG G&G Newbie

Hey guys,
    I've been thinking of getting a .22 and of course my first thought was a classic 10/22. However, Marlin's 795 looks pretty nice too. I've heard the 10/22 is more customizable, but are there any other important factors to consider? I'm just looking for a decent .22 to plink/target shoot with, and most likely with the aid of a scope. Suggestions?
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

I may get hammered for writing this . . .

but I have come to believe the 10/22 has to be highly customizable in the aftermarket to make it a viable rifle. This is expecially true of the trigger.

Personally, I feel the Marlins are better products.

Now, I expect this to be followed by a lot of posts from 10/22 supporters.
  3. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

^ And I will be the first 10/22 supporters of many :D
    I have heard a lot of people talk about the trigger of the 10/22 and don't know what they are talking about. Granted, I have an older 10/22 (early 90's) and the trigger may have changed since then to become more lawyer friendly, but, my 10/22 is extremely accurate with about any cheap ammo I can find. The only customization I have on it is I put some fiber optic type open sights on it because I didn't like the original iron sights. But there's tons out there!!! Everything from bull barrels/ silence barrels (have a friend with one- saweet), to the fantastic houge overmolded stock to tons of customizable internal parts to make it shoot like a dream.

You said it yourself, its a classic
  4. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I, also, have an older 10/22 sporter and have no issue with the trigger, but then I have a 10/22T and 2 Marlins to lend support.
    If you want to "customize" the rifle then a 10/22 would be the best choice; seems sorta silly to me to put $1K to weight down a $250 rifle but it's all personal choice.
    If you want good shooters the 10/22 and the Marlin will serve your purpose well. So get the one that fits you better.
  5. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Though I don't own either I think the 10/22 is ugly....Customizeing deffinitly would make it look better LOL
  6. mx308250

mx308250 G&G Newbie

All aroung great rifle the 10/22 is. Got two back around 1997. One is still completely stock and the other just has the original action everything else has been modded and changed out. Great rifles.

Marlin makes good products too, I have one of their model 60's and it is awesome. I have seen but never heard about or shot the 795.
  7. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

I just bought a 10/22, have no problems with the trigger. Brand new in the box. Put a red dot scope on it, didn't bother with the open sights. Shoots great, would shoot better if I put a real scope on it, but I'm just using this for plinking and squirrels for now, the red dot works well under 50 yards.

Jim
  8. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

They are both good choices but the marlin might be a bit more accurate due to the micro-groove rifling. on the other hand I personally don't care for the long clip protruding from the marlin. both will suet your needs just fine. check out the marlin model 60 also!
  9. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I own 2 10/22 and 2 Marlins, the marlins are tube feed and if I could do it all over again, I would only own 2 Marlins. 10/22 is basically a POS out of the box, you need to be prepared to spend some money on it. The Marlins out of the box need almost nothing other than a scope and a good polish on the sear and hammer.
  10. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Regular

^+1!! I have spent alot of $ on my 10/22's over the years. first was trigger work, bolt work, then removed the barrel band and removed the extra wood from the stock were bbl. band was and refinished the whole stock. all that and now they can shoot with my stock Marlins. I will say removing the barrel band did wonders for the accuracy.
  11. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

The Marlins are far more precise out of the box than any other semi-auto on the market. All you have to do is figure out which ammo fires best out of 'em, slap on a scope, and party hard!

I just traded my K10/22DSP for a Yamaha motorcycle...I KNOW I got the best of that deal!! The 10/22 wasn't even as accurate as my Calico M-100...and the M-100 has MUCH higher ammo capacity due to their 100-round helical mags. It ain't that Ruger has more choices for customization...it's that they NEED to be customized. I definitely fall into the category of hating Ruger triggers...and their lousy stock barrels...a stock Ruger 10/22 is possibly the worst semi-auto to own...blued or stainless. If it doesn't have a bull barrel, don't even bother because you'll be changing it later anyway...for it REQUIRES one unless you are shooting pie plates at 50 yds. I expect that kind of shooting from old used Stevens rifles, not brand-new Rugers.
  12. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

10/22 is hard to beat for an all around good .22 rifle. You can turn it into anything you want after you buy the base model. You are kinda stuck with what you buy with other 22's.
  13. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

10/22 are kinda shabby outa the box....at least there are enough products out there to improve it(biggests thing is a trigger), but you for got the savage 64....it whoops'em both.:smirk:
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  14. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Back around 2002, I bought both the Marlin 60SB and the Ruger 10-22 Rifle (22" Stainless barrel, rifle stock, called "The WalMart Special").
    The Marlin is easily the better shooter, and more reliable. The Ruger magazines must be 'tweaked' for best performance and get dirty quickly.
    Ruger also has an abominable stock finish - I stripped mine and refinished - now I can see the grain of the wood!
  15. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

I've never had a Marlin 795 but my understanding is that it is essentionally a model 60 (that I've owned several) that is magazine fed instead of tube fed. If that's the case its probably a better rifle out of the box - especially for the price. If the 10 round mag isn't enough here is a 15 round mag for it:

Gun Clips And Mags at Sportsman's Guide

As mentioned it would be harder to modify than a 10-22 but it doesn't need it as bad as a 10-22 does either. If you are not into modifying its a good first choice.

This thread shows a mildly modified 795 (page down to 2nd picture):

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=54369

I have the latest "Wally World" stainless 10/22 with the longer stainless barrel, no barrel band with the very nice wooden stock and like it a lot - but I also paid for those options too.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  16. TomG

TomG G&G Newbie

Seems I've sparked quite the little debate, thanks for all your opinions. I recently added two more to my maybe list; the Remington 597 and a friggin bull pup .22LR, the Walther G-22. I have a P-22 and it's a nice little gun, and fairly accurate, now they seemed to have turned it into a rifle, any thoughts? I'm pretty excited about the Walther, but I've heard it can be picky on ammo and a bit finicky, I am no gunsmith and I want something reliable, don't want another IAI Carbine on my hands...
  17. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I have 2 10/22 and have shot 3 others. I personally have never had any serious issues with any of them. They're pretty accurate(never pushed them. Always used cheapest thing I could find) and to date, the only kind of ammo I've had trouble with is Remington subsonic. In stock configuration my 10/22s will eat anything I put in it and do it with decent accuracy. For $100 more I added a bull barrel and now it's capable of a dime sized group at 50 yards with CCI minimags(usually I'm not capable, but I did get that group once). As for the trigger, seriously, what's so horrible about it? Sure it's not the best in the world, but it isn't going to affect the accuracy enough to matter with a .22 cal. Also on the subject of mods, if it's out there, you can get it for the 10/22. I've never seen any other rifle of any caliber(except for the AR-15) with as many mods as there are for it. There's always something to be said for having the option of customizing your rifle to your idea of cool.
  18. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Tom, a shooting buddy has an early Walther P22, and it likes the hotter ammo - CCI Stingers in particular. I like the looks of their carbine, but have never handled or shot one. The pistol is just too small for my big mitts - else I would probably have one.

I'd love to see Marlin bring back the old Models 88 and 89 rifles - bigger 'man-sized' stock, fatter tubular sheetsteel receiver, and my M88 far surpasses my 10-22 in accuracy! Only the funky trigger would need to be re-engineered.
  19. TomG

TomG G&G Newbie

Hey guys, I finally decided. Saw a 795 on sale at Big 5 today and that pretty much sealed the deal. In any case, now I'm in the market for a scope. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just a decent scope... suggestions?
  20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

GREAT BUY!!

I wonder how close the 795 stock is to the Model 70?? There is a Bullpup conversion for the Model 70...:)

Anyway, I'd suggest a nice 4-16x40 Center Point also at Wally for $69.98.

Just READ THE DIRECTIONS before trying to adjust it....you MUST unlock the locking rings before attempting to adjust Windage/Elevation. Takes a little getting used to, but after you get your groove down...it's NICE :D