Ruger 10/22 vs Ruger with bull barrel

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by Chris, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member Founder

Besides the $200 difference....which do you prefer for overall plinking and fun?

The argument has been made that the bull barrel usually has a tight tolerance and might not take the all ammo and need more maintenance.

There are tons of accessories, I've already bought plenty of bx25 mags.
  2. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

Chris, I changed over my Ruger to a new stock and target barrel. I am now in the process of pickin out the ammo it likes to shoot. Not that chambering a function is a problem. Just trying to find the ammo that it wants to put down range in tight grouping at 100 yards.
    But then again I love shootin my little Glenfield Model 25.

Here is a pic of my Ruger.

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

:swordfight:
  3. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I have several 10/22's and find the heavy barrel much more accurate.
    I'm guessing you are referring to after-market barrels.
    I used Green Mountain .920" barrels and find them to be great shooters and have had no problems with ammunition. I've fired Remington, Winchester, American Eagle, Centurian, CCI, and Aguila with no issues.
    I also restocked mine with Boyds Tacticool stock.
    Makes for a heavier 10/22, that's for sure.

The heavier barrel reduces harmonics and the effects of same.

But I just like heavier barrels.

IMA: My 10/22T does have tighter tolerances but it digests all of the above ammo very well. You can save some bucks by replacing the barrel on a standard model instead of buying the T model...but the T is a purty rifle.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  4. EtherialOne

EtherialOne G&G Regular

Definitely the heavy barrel. I had an old 10/22 with stock barrel and it was at the bottom of use as far as my .22's went. When I found a nice 10/22 with a heavy bbl (factory deal) I picked it up and it in short order climbed to being the favorite plinker. Then the wife shot it and it became her plinker! So I took my old one and rebuilt it with a heavy barrel and custom stock etc and it's my favorite plinker. So for me and the wife at least be it Bought or Built a 10/22 with a Good Barrel and Stock is more fun than a barrel full of Monkeys!

Attached Files:

5. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Awww...Heck, Chris, go for the 10/22T...you can save money by replacing the barrel on a standard model but if you replace the wood too, it will be a total expense greater than the $200 price difference.

Just an after-thought.
  6. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Bull for accuracy longer before barrel heat up.
  7. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

For plinking and fun

I would get the regular gun, glass bed it from the rear of the receiver to the front of the stock, then go on the aftermarket to buy a real trigger assembly.

This will give you a great plinking and fun gun with an accuracy edge should you wish to move beyond plinking and fun.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  8. Chris

I really liked the look of the stainless.

There is a Ruger that already has the bull barrel and they usually run 200 more with that option. I'm excited as for a fun plinker as ammo is going to do nothing but continue to get even higher
  9. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

I prefer my 10/22 with the winchester 52 barrel in it .
  10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Chris in my humble opinion it all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If all you want to do is plink, hunt small game and generally have fun informally then the standard rifle would suit your purposes. I struggle with the same thoughts and ponders. And have come to the conclusion that unless I want to get involved with serious rimfire competition then the standard rifle with an upgraded trigger and bedded action is all I really need.

BUT, the truth of the matter is what really makes your heart go pitty pat! If that is that bull barrel tricked out 10/22 then by all means Bud....BUY IT! The 200 will be more than worth the cool factor!
  11. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

I like the bull barrel and have more problems with cheap mags than I do with ammo.

Attached Files:

12. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

If your just going for a fun plinker that is also somewhat accurate, I would get the regular weight barrel. The bull barrels really do add weight, and the lightweight is one of the attractions of the 10/22. Its not like its a thin barrel anyways, the barrel is thicker than most AR's under the handguards, and that round puts much more stress on the barrel during firing.

If you want a bench shooter target gun with a high power socpe, get the bull barrel.

I have the "All-Weather" model. Its a SS barrel and action, with the synthetic stock. The only thing i would change would maybe be to a nice wood stock. I have a few little things done to tune it up a bit, and a 4x32 scope. it fits the gun perfcetly for plinking out to 100yrds, and the scope mounts have large knobs on the screws so they can easily come on/off for using irons.

Just depends on what you want, a fun gun or a target gun?
  13. EtherialOne

EtherialOne G&G Regular

I NEVER had any luck with any aftermarket mag for either of my 10/22's ... Always considered them a 10 shot rifle until Ruger FINALLY came out with the BX-25, which work as reliably as the Ruger 10 round Rotary's and that is truly an achievement for any .22 Autoloader. The BX-25's are also a very different design that uses coil springs and are worth the $25-$30 price tag imo.
  14. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

I want to get a few of those BX mags but they dont sell them in Japan and with the scare good luck finding anything near that price online
  15. Chris

I just found 17 for 30 dollars. I only bought 5....but I was lucky.