ruger 10/44 carbine

Discussion in 'Pistol Carbines' started by pajaro, Jan 30, 2011.

1. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

i was out shooting today and a fellow at the range had a ruger semiautomatic .44 magnum carbine that had a 10 round magazine tube.... he said it was perfect for pig hunting.... he said ruger made these for 1 year only. i gather they then switched to a 4 round removable magazine.... anyone have one? do they have issues the later ones don't? seemed like a dandy rifle to me....
  2. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Dad's only holds 4 in the tubular magazine and one in the chamber.
  3. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

you know, i wonder if i heard him wrong.... thinking about it, i don't think there would be room for 10 rounds in the tube.... the tube was not visible as it was concealed by the forearm.... if it were only a 4 round tube, then the removable magazine style might be handier.... i was impressed, i guess, by the wonder of having 10 rounds of 44 magnum in a light semiautomatic rifle.... i will be talking to this fellow thursday on a related matter, and will revisit this with him them.... i was wondering why i could find nothing on the internet or my library referring to a 10 round mag tube in a ruger....
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmmm,

actually, this was a well made gun. However, it put a lot of muzzle blast and a lot of muzzle flash close to the face and ears.

I feel Ruger could have kept this gun a winner by moving from the carbine style to at least a twenty four inch barrel.
  5. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I have one of the older models. it has a 4 rd. tube mag. it looks and feels like a 10/.22. the newer ones had a detachable box mag and a similar action to a Mini 14. the new ones have already been discontinued (I don't know why) I like my .44 carbine. it is a dream to carry and shoots great out to 100 yds. after that its like a mortar. for a quick shooting brush gun it can't be beat. I preffer it to my shot gun for jump shooting deer.
  6. LakerDad

LakerDad G&G Newbie

I always thought that Ruger should have put up a .357, little brother carbine.
    Even thought about a 30 carbine, 45ACP,wow, the list could go on...:)
  7. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

i did contact the guy, and it was a 4 round tube magazine.... i'm going to give him a bunch of brass, and then i'll get to shoot it some when i see him at the range....
  8. EtherialOne

EtherialOne G&G Regular

If they made them in .357 with a decent capacity I would pick it up hands down! The marlin Camp Carbines were pretty neat too... I don't know why rifles like these never really made it big. It sounds to me like I perhaps these days they would do better than in the past.
  9. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

A .357 would be awesome, along with a nice revolver...although a .30carbine(M1) would be nice too!
  10. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

Ruger .44 carbine

The .44 carbine held 3 rounds in the mag(like a shot gun) and the fourth in the chamber, the mag spring is very heavy and ease of quickly thumbing in spare rounds is not easy.
    The gas system is tapped off a spigot with two action bars in the forearm like a Mini-14 connected to the bolt the distance limits the mag capacity the bolt locks up like a SKS.
    The newer but discontinued Ruger Deerfield 99/44 carbine had the classic military carbine action bar look and function of the Mini 14 with a detachable 4 round roatary mag.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  11. H-BAR

H-BAR G&G Newbie

i really wish they would bring back the deerfield carbine, and 10-44, they were great little inexpensive carbines that have done nothing more but gotten more expensive since they ceased production. i had a 99/44 deerfield that was built off the mini-30 action, that was deadly on blacktails and black bear up hear with my 300 grn jacketed fp's! i bought it new in 2003 for $415, and installed a 10/22 based M1 carbine styled peep sight. it's one of those rifles you sold because ya thought you didn't need it, then miss it more after they stopped making it! lol!
  12. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

The 44 mag. Ruger held 4 rounds and had a rotary spring clip just like the 10/22,s. The rifle had the basic same design and looks as the 10/22 but just heavier and thicker stock. I came across one hanging on the used gun rack the other day in the gun shop. They are asking $400 for it. Too much I believe for this type of rifle.
  13. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

^ thats a real good price the last one I saw here was $600.
  14. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

my father traded my uncle for one so that i could use it for hunting but was 13 or 14 when i got it and it was a bit much for me at the time. wish i still had it
  15. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

well, i couldn't resist....i picked one up, the older model.... i pick it up in 10 days (california)..... i have dies and cases, 240 gr xtp"s and h110..... loaded up 50 rounds today, and can't wait to give a range report......
  16. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I like to shoot the Hornanady 265 gr flat points out my carbine. that bullet over a full charge of H-110 is a real thumper.
    I wish Ruger would bring back the Deerfield with the detachable magazine and some one would make 30 round mags for it. that would be an awsome weapon, like a .44 mag. Mini 14!
  17. Levergun4570

Levergun4570 G&G Newbie

These are expensive here in Michigan, my buddy has one and it is pretty awesome. I found one at the gun shop the other day and it was listed for $599, very expensive but i believe it was a pre 64 and it was in mint shape.
  18. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

they are pricey, but they're not making any more of them.... can't give a range report till sometime next week.... made up some 240 grainers and also some 265's.... will report back then....
  19. af2543

af2543 G&G Newbie

Ruger 10 44

Bought a matching pair of Ruger's (Ruger 10 22 and Ruger 10 44) years ago from an old guy. Both are new condition , have the same nice scopes with slings and in matching gun cases. Paid $400.00 for the pair and put them in a closet. Still there, just like i bought them, along with many others i've bought for the past 60 years. Quit hunting after 3 tours in Vietnam, wasn't fun anymore, but still collectiing guns when the price is right! Would sell for the right price and a way to do it!
  20. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

forgot to give a range report.... took it out and shot about 20 reloads with just under max H110 and 240 gr hornaday xtp's. it functioned perfectly and was fun to shoot. it had an aimpoint 1x red dot scope, which i decided i did not like. i replaced it with a spare 2x7 leupold compact and will try that one out later next week. this is a fun rifle, and (luckily?) i had about 400 44mag cases squirreled away. they are now all primed, sized and ready to load.

i hate to admit it, but this is almost an example of : "i've got a few empty cases laying around, i'd better get a cool rifle to shoot them".... i need to stay away from gunshops, and not even think of looking at online gun auctions. frenchie had a sort of similar experience recently also....