Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 357/9mm

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by rl356, Jan 31, 2008.

1. rl356

rl356 G&G Newbie

I am considering the purchase of a new model blackhawk convertible chambered in .357mag, and 9mm. During some research on this firearm I read in some other online gun forums that the accuracy of the 9mm was less than consistant in this particular revolver. Any of you out there that have any experience with this weapon, I would greatly appreciate any insight/opinions that you could offer before I invest my money into something that's not going to perform as it should. Thanks
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

I don't own one.

rl356: Sir; I don't own one but have researched.
    What I've discovered and kind of knew.
    Barrel is designed to shoot .357 and the 9mm is loose in the bore.
    Accuracy is diminished because the lead is unsupported. Have some had good accuracy? Yes.
    Most? NO.
    Part [6-7] of my mess is Ruger. My want list included the convertible. Not now. I do like the concept.

RugerForum.com was much of my research over 6-8 month period.
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Maybe not such a good idea

A little research will lead you to the different diameters of the 9mm and the .357 magnum.
    This is just not a 9mm barrel in both bore diameter and rifling twist. Sometimes even the best of manufacturers will engage in a little bit of a sales gimmick. I wouldn't buy it if you are a 9mm fan.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  4. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have had decent luck with mine. Yes .357 - .355 is .002 difference. Not a whole lot. It is a blast to plink with. I can achieve good groups at typical pistol ranges inside 20-25 yards. I have plinked the occasional clay off the berm after a bit of kentucky windage dial in.

You must shoot jacketed bullets. The 9mm cylinder head spaces on the rim mouth like an auto. The difference is the little bit of back and forth play that is typical in a revolver. Lead will shave a bit on the head space built into the cylinder.

Ouch has one too. I 'm not sure what kind of luck he has had.

Next time I go to the range I'll post up a target.

I've been extremely happy with the convertable.
  5. rl356

rl356 G&G Newbie

Sorry about the multiple thread. Got an error message when trying to post either of the threads, so I assumed that neither one of them actually posted.

Well, after doing some more research on this particular firearm and reading the responses that some of you and others had, I decided to go a different route. I purchased a "like new" used Ruger P90DC for $300.00 out the door. I have not yet had a chance to fire it, but it's in excellent condition. Does anyone know how to determine the year of manufacture? Also, those of you that have experience with this pistol, I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  6. fred

fred G&G Newbie

I met a fellow on the range one day who cited accuracy problems with his Blackhawk Convertable using 9 mm. He fixed the problem by handloading slightly larger diameter .357 bullets for the Blackhawk. Of course this defeats the use of cheap 9 mm ammo (if any still exists) and creates the problem of inadvertantly getting the larger diameter loads if you shoot other handguns chambered in 9 mm. I think if I really wanted a convertable I'd go for the Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt/45 Auto.
  7. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Agreed, I have a Bisley in 45lc/45acp. Off hand shooting I see no difference in accuracy. You can load the lc up to near 44mag levels, or shoot cowboy loads (cap gun) I have a Thomson 1927a1, a 1911 and the Bisley, I shoot a lot of acp ammo.
  8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I never tryed one but I can see where shooting .355,s in a .357 barrel would be rough on the bore due to gasses leaking by the bullet which is problem enough with .357 bullets. sam.
  9. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My bore is in near perfect condition. The pistol is as accrate with .357 fodder if not more than the day I bought it. I don't shoot a lot of the 9 through it. Just when the opportunity presents itself.
  10. raybor

raybor G&G Newbie

I have this revolver for about 15 years. I mainly use the .357 and not the 9mm. The 9mm is not a steady bullet by nature.The .357 is extreemly accurate at long distances. With a steady arm you can hit a basket ball at 50 mt. shooting "over the sights". Using the sights you can easily place most shots close together at 12 - 15 mt. and at 50 mt with practise.
    The most accurate bullets are the teflon coated.
  11. Clem321

Clem321 G&G Newbie

The 9mm cylinders in Ruger NMBHs are reputed to have less than satisfactory accuracy. That doesn't seem to be the case with my 6 1/2" SS .357 NMBH. I had the factory add a 9mm cylinder when I had it rebarreled to 6 1/2". It shoots the .357 very well indeed, and shoots 9mm CCI Blazer nearly as well. I was very surprised that it did so well.
  12. ameri-tech

ameri-tech G&G Newbie

i got one , its great . no problems, shoots 357 and 9mm very accutate ,i like the versitility of all the rounds one gun can shoot
  13. ramblinman09

ramblinman09 G&G Newbie

Got one. Do my own reloading, using the 147gr bullet, +P load with mag primer - no problems - GOOD but not perfect. If you cast your own, the fit is even better .3564 Also have CZ P01 in 9mm, Ruger PC9 and looking for a Marlin Camp 9. Use 124gr +P in the CZ; 127gr +P+ in PC9.

The 9mm is a sel-defence gun - not a hunting gun, not a sniping gun - self-defence only, meaning nothing beyound 125yds for rifle and 25yds for handguns. I love my 9mills!!!