Ruger p-95 jamming

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by samson, Jun 3, 2011.

1. samson

samson G&G Newbie

I bought a brand new p-95 6/1/11 got it home field stripped it cleaned it, remm oiled it, took it to the range yesterday. so it starts JAMMING. I am using new sellior-bellot 115 grn fmj and umc, It would try to put two rnds in the barrel at the same time. I look down and one rnd is in the barrel about up to the casing and its got the next rnd half way out of the mag trying to force two in at once, I called ruger yesterday the lady says it the mag, well now its doing it with both mags. called ruger today another lady says well its a brand new gun, some come off the line tighter than others, try heavier bullets . What do you think? THANKS
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Sounds like the ejector isn't ejecting. Did you thoroughly clean the ejector?

And though I think Sellier and Beloit is good ammo, I'd suggest using some higher end factory ammo for say the first 300-500 rounds or so.

If the problem persists, and the gun is new, I'd contact Ruger and trust me, they'll take care of it. But before contacting them, besides checking the ejector and cleaning it again if necessary, and getting the higher end factory ammo, ie Remingtom, Hornady etc.,etc., I'd also at the same time try some different magazines.

Then if the problem persists, contact Ruger. And again, like I said, they'll likely pay shipping both ways.

Good luck. And don't let this frustrate you. You still and it's still a damn fine gun.

P.S. Believe it or not, if you happen to be anticipating the recoil and jerking back in that anticipation, that could also cause this as well as limp-wristing it could as well.
  3. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Enthusiast

Limp wristing and new tight gun was my first guesses. glockmeister is right on the money with Ruger customer service. They will take care of you.
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If it isn't a magazine problem I too would suspect limp wristing. I've never had a problem with S&B ammo and I've shot many thousands of rounds of it, various calibers from a number of different firearms and can't recall ever having a ammo related issue.
  5. samson

samson G&G Newbie

I never had a wrist problem with my other 9mms, p-89,xd-9,5906,bersa u/c. they all worked fine out of the box
  6. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Is the one in the barrel fired?
  7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I have had that problem with new pistols in the past. After a few hundred rounds the jams stop in most cases.
  8. samson

samson G&G Newbie

no the one sharing the barell with the one half way out of the mag is not fired. thanks
  9. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

So as I understand this, you fire a round and then the gun cycles, putting a fresh round in the chamber and also stripping another round out of the mag at the same time? That's hard to picture happening since the way the mag is built only one round is on top.

This about as far out in left field as you can get, but is there some way you might have gotten magazines for a different caliber? Could someone in the gun store have been looking at a couple of guns at the same time and mixed the mags so your slide is contacting two 9mm rounds at once? I have no idea what other mag might fit in the P95, but suppose the mags are from a .40 or .45? That might allow two 9mm rounds to be riding almost next to each other instead of one above the other at the top of the magazine.
  10. samson

samson G&G Newbie

both mags say 9mm, sometimes it happens with a fresh mag, sometimes in the middle of one, Like I said I look down and theirs one rnd into the barrel up to the casing and the next one in the mag is half way out of the mag and jammed into the barrel with the first one [unfired] thanks
  11. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

Just so I know that we are are following the same thing....

We are talking about a double feed like this:
    [​IMG]

EXCEPT that both rounds are live?

Here are my questions (sorry some have been asked)?

1. P-95 9mm Handgun
    2. 9mm Magazines
    3. 9mm Parabellum, 9x19, 9mm NATO Whatever you choose to call it ammo.
    4. Both rounds are in fact live rounds

So if we are on the same page then we can start...lol
  12. samson

samson G&G Newbie

yes thats it both rnds are live. thanks, except the first one is in up to the casing and the second one is half way out of the mag coming upward trying to share the barell with first one,thanks
  13. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Enthusiast

makes no sense to me as to how you could fire , spent case extract and eject , bolt closing strip two rounds chambering the first jaming the second to the rear of first. If this is whats happening im saying send it to ruger.
  14. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

Yeah I have to go with SUBMOA on this one, call Ruger. What you are describing should be basically impossible. To get the first live round to start in the slide has to contact it, then it has to go backwards to catch the next round to cause the double feed. If all of the parts i.e. gun, slide, magazines are 9mm Para and the ammo is 9mm para then this should be impossible if all of the parts are as they should be, meaning no defects.

I would send the gun back to ruger along with the mags and see if they can figure it out. The only other thing I can say is have someone that you know is an experienced shooter try to shoot it and see if it still does it. If not then you know its you, if it fails you know it is the weapon.
  15. ouch

ouch G&G Newbie

In the hard woods - next to a pond in Missouri
    Did you fire any ammo before field stripping the weapon? I admit I have done it. Did you get the recoil spring put back in the proper way? It is possible that if reversed it would bind.

If you have a p89 can the mags be switched to see if it is a mag problem. I am guessing that the mags are the same but have not handled a p95.

While not addressing your problem I have found that Ruger makes a pretty stiff semiauto when new Full power ammo is what works best in them particularly new ones.

Have you oiled or applied lubricants to the slide rails? Normally these guns are stone reliable.

Good luck to you figuring this out. I can't believe that much could be wrong with it.
  16. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

I have had my 10/22 do that a couple times with the extended mags in it. I think as it pulled the first forward the rim caught the second and tugged it just enough to get it to pop up just enough that it stove piped. The only thing is the second round never came fully out of the mag it just slid forward and stuck up a little. But seeming as your not using rimmed ammo im not sure whats going on there.

I mean maybe that second round is popping partially out of the mag when the slide pulls the first round out causing it to "go stupid". Are all the rounds in the mag seated all the way back? I always give the magazine a couple of good taps to make sure. I'm just throwing this out there cause all else seems to have been discussed.
  17. GlockMeister

Might I suggest field stripping it and cleaning it again and this way you can double check and inspect both the parts and re-assembly procedure and if everything is where it should be.

What I don't understand is how you're getting a live round left in the chamber without firing it? I mean, unless you pull the trigger, it's NOT going to go bang, it's NOT going to extract and thus it's NOT going to take another round from the magazine to insert it in the chamber.

The only thing I can think of that could cause you to end up with two live rounds jammed up with one another is if you're starting with a live round in the chamber and then instead of pulling the trigger you're racking the slide. I'm sorry, I just don't get how you can end up with it wanting to eject when it hasn't fired the round in the chamber.

I'm sorry, I'm baffled and so I'm going to go through this in my head and type it as I do. lol

The mag is loaded and inserted into the gun. You rack it and load one into the chamber. If when you do this, it's trying to load two rounds at the same time, then it's definitely a magazine problem. Or, the wrong ammo in the magazine or the wrong magazine. Or the specs on the gun are totally out of whack? Which I'd add I highly doubt because EVERY GUN IS TESTED BEFORE IT LEAVES.

Or, (and I'm still doing it in my head and typing it as I do, lol)

You load the magazine into the gun, rack the slide to load one into the chamber, pull the trigger. It has to go bang to even begin to extract, eject and grab another round from the magazine. If it's double feeding at this point, the one coming out of the chamber IS NO LONGER A LIVE ROUND IF IT WENT BANG (obviously). And at that point if it's double feeding, it's an ejector issue, a mag issue or sorry to say, limp-wristing it or recoil anticipation, meaning you're pulling the gun back during the recoil operation. But where I get confused is you say both rounds jammed up are live? And then I have to revert to my previous scenario. And with any of what I've said, I'm not saying you're doing any of this. Just throwing out all the possibilities that could cause the problem you're having.

I'd also point out, EVERY GUN MANUFACTURER, RUGER INCLUDED, TEST FIRES EVERY GUN BEFORE IT LEAVES THE FACTORY. AND IF IT WAS THE MAGAZINES OR THE GUN, I'M PRETTY SURE IT WOULD HAVE DONE IT BEFORE WHEN THEY TEST FIRED IT.

Again, and I'm saying the same thing because I'm baffled. lol IT CAN NOT EXTRACT, EJECT OR EVEN BEGIN TO FEED ANOTHER ROUND IF THE FIRST ROUND IN THE CHAMBER DIDN'T GO BANG. So that can only mean it's trying to feed two live rounds at the same time when you first go to rack the first one into the chamber and that then means it's a magazine issue. And a rare one at that as far as new mag, new factory ammo and a new gun. And yes, some guns are tighter then others. But it's not the gun letting or trying to let two live rounds feed at the same time. I'd check the lips of the mags. and see if they aren't damaged?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  18. GlockMeister

Based on this, I'd have to say it's the magazine, the wrong magazine, the wrong ammo in the right magazine.

Grok's head hurt. lol

Please keep us informed and post when the cause has been identified. Because I, as well as the rest of us, will just have to know. lol
  19. samson

samson G&G Newbie

I want to thank all

I want to thank everyone for the great help, i e-mailed ruger last night and they e-mailed me back saying the gun needs to be sent to them.So its off to arizona
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  20. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Let us know the results....
    Looks like GM tossed and turned last night trying to figure it out...