Ruger P95 - What did I do!?

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by Herman, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Herman

Herman G&G Newbie

So, I decided to strip down my Ruger P95 today, just for the fun of it. I encountered a really weird problem when putting the slide back onto the gun. I put the barrel and everything in place like always, put the slide on, and then it got stuck. The weird thing is, the slide is aligned just fine with the back of the gun. In other words, it's not cocked, but the barrel and the (piston?) are both sticking out as if it WERE cocked. It's like the barrel didn't slide into place all the way, and now I can't slide the slide forward again. I can slide it back, but not very much. It's extremely frustrating. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

If my explanation was too confusing, I'll take some pictures and upload them tonight.
  2. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

take some pictures, because i have no clue what is happening with that
  3. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I don't quite understand what you mean from your description. One thing I will say for sure. Don't mess with it. Take it to a gunsmith and have it professionally looked at. Could be a dangerous mistake.
  4. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

You may have misaligned the spring around the guide rod. As in, the spring coiled around it may have caught on something inside and kept the guide rod and barrel from sliding back as they normally do.

I'll need to see a picture to be sure. Unless it's loaded, there should be no danger. If it is what I think it is, it should be fairly easy to fix. I'll wait or pics and see.

(Edit) Hey, Herman, update? No pics?

- Coeloptera
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. marctx

marctx G&G Newbie

I've got the same problem. Any help s appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

WELCOME to G&G marctx !! Well if 2 of you can do it then it must be an alignment problem, and there is a fix.
  7. marctx

marctx G&G Newbie

Thanks for the welcome. Not sure how I managed to get it in that state in the first place, but I was able to fix it shortly after I posted.
  8. Redbeernuts

Redbeernuts G&G Newbie

I am rolling, this is funny as hell. Ok, I got that out of the way. I have done that before with my P89 so I know how you feel.

You should just be able to break it down again and reassemble it.
  9. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

i wish i had a p89 to do that to
  10. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Ruger makes one of the very best revolvers but their autos seem to have many issues.
  11. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

could be a mis-alignment........

or the ejector poped up during re-assembly and jamed up the works.......... the ejector must be in the down position to put back together.
  12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ Good point !!
  13. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Ruger tends to rely on gravity to align certain parts during reassembly in many of their guns. If you don't point everything in the right direction, things can get stuck or otherwise won't fit into place just right.

I know the .22 autos are like that, as is the Redhawk. Next time, if the manual says to point the gun up, down, upside down, rightside up, left or right at a certain step, do just that and it will probably work better. Resist the temptation to align the bits manually. The designers have made it easy if you do it their way.
  14. Todd Bayliss

Todd Bayliss G&G Newbie

On my P89, there is a front and back to the recoil spring and its such a small difference that you can't tell just to look at it. But if I put it in backwards it does what you guys are describing. Basically its what Coel said. The guide rod won't fit through one end of the spring.
  15. tsimon

tsimon G&G Newbie

Help

Hi Guys,
    New to the forum. I have the same exact problem with my p95. How do I fix it? Thanks for you time in advance.

ted
  16. spazmid

spazmid G&G Newbie

how to fix problem

Look up the magazine well with a flashlight, you will see the part that you pushed down in order to disassemble. It's the ejector, P95 part # V00910 in the exploded view in your book or on the net.

It should have two holes in it, and you will see the projection against the slide that you had to push down to take it apart for cleaning.

Shape a coathanger wire to pull it down, hook thru the upper hole in the ejector body, and keep tension on the wire to keep the ejector from popping back up, while you rack the slide a bit... should bust loose easily and be able disassemble and reassemble the right way. Rack it as hard as you want, nothing to hurt with the ejector held out of the way.

If you're handy, you can make the tool and solve the problem in five minutes. Save the wire in your gun cleaning kit, you can use it again if needed, and fix it in five seconds the next time.

Make sure the barrel is seated properly, and that the camblock/recoil spring assembly is correctly hooked on it and centered, not off to one side. Make sure the ejector is down before putting the slide on the frame.

And no, I'm not really sure why it happens, you would have to have xray vision to see it. I know I can fix it, so have resisted thinking it out... too lazy.

I've had a P89 and two P95's, and this has only happened to me once. I still think this is the most pistol you can buy for the money. American made, so you're supporting jobs for your countrymen.

I passed my CHL with the P89, and shot a perfect score. I like it as well as my Sig 226. I like the P95's just as well. Most of the guys who run them down have never owned one, and are just parroting what they have read from other uninformed armchair pistoleros.

A guy on another forum said his got stuck with a round in it... I say don't start disassembling a pistol with a round in the chamber, unload it first. Common sense. This happens during reassembly... confusing why he would reassemble with a bullet in it... kinda insane.

This problem can only happen with the slide stop out, so don't take it out while you're shooting, ha ha. Most owners will never encounter this, it only happened to me before my second P95 had even been shot... breaking in will fix a lot of things where firearms are involved. My mean Mossberg 930 SPX shotgun stuttered too... factory grease, cheap load. My bad, should have cleaned it better before shooting.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  17. Skram!

Skram! G&G Newbie

Yes Spazmid! Thank you so much. I felt like a complete jackass for doing this same thing (as pictured above), but I followed your instructions and cleared the jam. For two days I could not fix my P95 and was about to give up hope and go to a repair shop.

One thing I'd mention though, is that you need to be really careful when using a home-fashioned tool like a coat hanger (which is what I used). I popped out the trigger/hammer spring and had to figure out how to fix it (which, ultimately, was a positive aspect of this because I had to learn more about how the trigger works on my P95).

At any rate, finding this thread made me feel less stupid for jamming my pistol, but also helped me fix the problem. Thanks to all previous posters as well...
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  18. Ride n shoot

Ride n shoot G&G Newbie

Happened to mine, it got very frustrating. Use a dental pick or bent coat hanger to pull the ejector down. It might free up then. If not (mine didnt), the ejector will keep wanting to go back to up position. With the ejector down i droped a fishing line through the hole and then droped the other end down and tied a loop. That way you can be holding the ejector down while you rack the slide. It should come right out.
  19. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

this turned into a very useful thread

maybe a mod should put this as a sticky in the ruger sub forum
  20. Skram!

Skram! G&G Newbie

Something to Add

I definitely agree that this should be added to the Ruger forum.

In cleaning my Ruger P95 just now, I think I figured out what happened. Once I removed the slide, I cocked the slideless base just to see what went on inside.

Foolishly, I started to put the slide back on and I felt it start to jam as it did above, so I stopped before it got stuck. The ejector was still up. I pressed the ejector down, but it still started to jam once I started to put the slide back on.

I stopped myself once again and I pulled the trigger to drop the hammer one last time before the safety feature seemed to be acting again. Then, I made sure to re-depress the ejector, and the slide went on just fine.

I think this problem might arise when trying to oil the trigger mechanism when cleaning. Making sure that it is in safe mode before re-attaching the slide should prevent this.

I'm a fairly new handgun owner (first pistol), but I grew up around shotguns and know how to handle them well. However, I tried to do all the research I could before breaking down the P95 and didn't run into any advice like I found here until I had already jammed my piece as in the picture above.

Again, thank you to everyone for your help. I hope my feedback is helpful as well.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009