Ruger Super Blackhawk Scope Mount

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by egon, Apr 28, 2009.

1. egon

egon G&G Newbie

2. Rogue Tom

Rogue Tom G&G Newbie

I just picked one up yesterday at my favorite gun shop. It's a new model super blackhawk, blued, 7.5" barrel, non-fluted cylindar, with the squared trigger guard. It also came with a mounted Tasco red-dot scope, mounted with a weaver brand rail/rings system. I paid 360 for the whole thing. I looked up the scope mount on Midway USA. Its called the Weaver Mount Scope Base with 1" Rings. Product # 714989, retails for $62.39. The scope is about 40-60.00. So I figure the mount and scope is worth about 100.00. It is very firmly mounted and this type of mount requires no drilling. It has a hex screw that tightens a C type clamp around the top of the barrel. You can see a great pictrue in Midway with that Product#. My gun is in great condition, not a scratch or nick on it. I looke dup the serial number and it is from 2001. I cant wait to hunt with it.

Any suggestions for ammo? I found one USA whitebox of 44 Remington Mag at walmart today and I bought it.
  3. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Depends on what you are going to hunt. You can't go wrong with a 240 g JHP as a starter, and I know there are alot more options as to weights if you handload. Go heavier for boar, lighter for coyote. I have a SBH with a scope mount like yours, but I have a Tasco 4 power LER on it.
  4. Rogue Tom

Rogue Tom G&G Newbie

Thanks for the ammo advice. I will probably get a 4x power scope eventually to changeout with the red-dot. I also have a 10-22 I could put the red-dot on as well.
    I suppose the scope mount you have has performed well. Any problems?

What is your Tasco 4x "LER" like? Is it a fuul length rifle type scopu, or shorter length, better suited for a handgun?
  5. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I am not the greatest pistol shot, the 4 power required me...since I can't hold the gun still enough; to shoot it off a rest. It seemed to hold well, no slipping. The scope was made for a pistol, short and the LER was a necessity obviously with a handgun. I more or less discovered that my grip effected placement greately. While my strength was fresh and hand grip strong the bullets would impact where I wanted them to. As I tired and the gun recoiled more, the impact point started to go up. Here is a photo with the scope off the gun. My SBH had a rib which I removed a section to allow the fitting of the mount.

Attached Files:

6. SgtKnuckles

SgtKnuckles G&G Newbie

7. Rogue Tom

Rogue Tom G&G Newbie

Thanks for these pictures and string of older posts aboutthe scope mounted SBHs. They are very helpful and gives me good ideas for using additional scopes. Seeing the other mounts, makes me feel pretty confident with the Weaver set up already on the gun.

I will get some pictrues posted soon. I have never put one up, but it can't be too hard to do.