Rugers New LCP Pistol

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ArkansasHunter, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

LCP™: .380 Auto[​IMG]
    The Ruger LCP™ in .380 Auto offers legendary Ruger reliability in an ultra-lightweight, compact carry pistol. When size and weight savings count, the LCP is a natural choice for personal defense carry.

Ruger seems to be on a roll with what apears another winner semi-auto pistol.
    This one will be great for comfortable concealed carry.
    For more information about this new little semi-auto skadaddle on over to the Ruger web site and read all about it...A.H
  2. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Nice gun.Would be an easy carry but I would like to see some range reports.
  3. aht_six

aht_six G&G Regular

With the popularity of Kel-Tec 380 it was just a matter of time until another manufacturer joined in. The new Ruger is not quite as small and light as the Kel-Tec but the numbers are very close. The biggest differance is the trigger pull.

Ruger Kel-Tec

Caliber: 380 Auto 380 Auto
    Catalog Number: LCP P-3AT
    Capacity: 6+1 6+1
    Weight unloaded lbs.: 9.40 oz. 8.3 oz.
    Overall Length: 5.16 in. 5.2 in.
    Overall Height: 3.6 in. 3.5 in.
    Overall Width: .820 in. .77 in.
    Trigger Pull Weight: 8 lbs. 5 lbs.
    MSRP: $330 $324

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. ArkansasHunter

aht six Thats the same thing I was thinking too. The retail price is posted at Ruger's
    web site, but I would suspect you can buy these for a round what the KelTec sells for.
    In my area you can buy the KelTec 32 and 380 for $ 250.00 each...

If the reveiws are good I'm going to buy one of the Rugers for concealed carry...A.H
  5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Very cool, just found out about these a couple days ago...very tempting....as of now I want:

A Walther P22
    A Ruger SR9
    and now one of the .380 Rugers!

Looks better than the KELTEC by a mile....

Sold my High Standard VICTOR for $700 (paid $500)

Daddy gotta get a new toy...;)
  6. ArkansasHunter

I guess I better start saveing my change and cash in all my aluminum cans to get me one. LOL
  7. Falcon2

Falcon2 G&G Newbie

Hard to beleive that Ruger had to copy the Kel-Tec down to the last pin,
    I have just lost respect for the company, though I have owned many of their fine weapons.
    falcon2
  8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

NRA- Why a Walther P22?
  9. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I wouldn't sweat it. A lot of firearm designs are copied.
  10. FutureMarine9

FutureMarine9 G&G Newbie

looks like a cleaner more polished version
  11. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

I guess this is a kudo to ruger, but IMHO an 8lb trigger pull from anything built by ruger is atrocious and unacceptable. 8lbs in a .380ACP ??? ridiculous. Of course then again I am not a fan of hammerless semi auto pistols in general (with some minor exceptions)... But the pistol does have clean lines an dappears able to fit the hand quite naturally
  12. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Because its there? ;)
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Seldom does Ruger design anything.They take an existing design and improve on it. sam.
  14. ArkansasHunter

Samuel whats your take on this new pocket pistol ? Do you like it ? I see a need for it and I'm always looking at Internet gun sellers and I'm seein a lot of the KelTecs on back order.
    The Ruger looks good and I hope it shoots good too and like I said if the reviews are good I'm going to buy one.
    Surely the ruger will be better don't you think ?...A.H

EDIT : You know what ? I wonder if KelTec is building it for Ruger ? If you study the picture there so much alike hummm
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  15. aht_six

aht_six G&G Regular

I just checked the trigger pull on my Kel-Tec P3AT with my RCBS trigger scale, 5.75 lbs. A little more than the advertised 5 lbs. if the scale is correct.
  16. six shot

six shot G&G Newbie

hey arkansas hunter did u got to work as a ruger sales rep and not tell us????
  17. Marc

Marc G&G Newbie

Well there's a gun show in the DFW area this weekend, hope someone has them. Is 8 1/2 lbs trigger pull a lot?
    Kind of new and looking to buy.
  18. ArkansasHunter

Has anyone heard anything yet about the Ruger LCP pistol ?

six shot i wish i could work for Ruger.
    ezearln the KelTec has a hammer so I recon the LCP does, but there hid in the slide up until you pull the trigger.
    A.H
  19. ArkansasHunter

I called my friends Pawn and Gun shop to see if the LCP is available yet and he said he had a buch ordered but didn't know when he would receive them.

I asked how much they would sell for and he said around the same price as the KELTEC and then he said around $ 259.00
  20. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

I'm on the "list" for one of the new Rugers my local gunshop.

As far as the trigger pull issue, I look at it this way..
    This pistol is designed for one thing.. My personal defense.. I'm not going to be shooting it at 50' and attempting to poke holes in the 10 Ring.

I just took the Utah CCW class and our instructor discussed trigger pull on weapons and he commented on our "Inner Monkey" what happens when a situation (God Forbid) comes about and we'd actually need top pull a defensive pistol and fire it.. 8 pounds is NOTHING!!

The trigger pull on this weapon is part of the safety of the gun. I don't want to carry a pistol that has no external safety and would go off with a light trigger pull, period..

I did my shooting in the class with my Colt Detective .38, and I actually had to think about the fact that the training was designed around pulling the trigger on my Colt as a double action. The first exersize was at 10' and it was nothing more than lifting the weapon and firing one shot as soon as I got on the target. First thing I did as I was lifting the weapon was pull the hammer back..:nono: I laughed at myself for doing so, but I do have to say I popped a nice hole through the center of the target..:silly:

The rest of the exersizes, I shot double action, and while I didn't shoot a bunch of bullseyes, I seldom missed a standard sheet of paper at 10-15-20', and that was double action, firing 4 or 8 rounds as quickly as I could. The trigger pull when firing double action on my Colt is more than 8 pounds.

It showed me the difference between bullseye shooting and defensive shooting. While I love shooting small groups while taking my time to do so, defensive shooting is all about hitting a chest area repeatedly, quickly, and under control..

If Mr. Badguy is coming at you in order to kill you or commit serious harm, Our Inner Monkey isn't going to care if the trigger pull is 5 pounds or 25 pounds.. Inner Monkey is going to squeeze the trigger in order to stop Mr. Badguy and isn't going to notice trigger pull, noise, or much of anything else.

My only concern about this gun is the .380 round. I feel, with a batch of GoldDots in it, it'll go a long ways at stopping someone. I'd love to have a .45 in this situation, but I don't want to carry one.. I'd rather have the .380 in my pocket than a .45 at home in my safe, if needed.

Just my $.02 worth..

Now to get IL and WI to join the rest of the states in allowing law abiding citizens to protect themselves, rather than making someone who is protecting themselves a criminal for doing so.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008