Russian 7.62 Nagant Revolver

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rockh0und, May 5, 2006.

1. Rockh0und

Rockh0und G&G Newbie

Does anyone know anything about these 7.62 revolvers that are hitting the market now? Russian model 1895 7.62 Nagant, I think.
  2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

3. Rockh0und

Rockh0und G&G Newbie

Thanks for the links NRAJOE.
    That schematic on buymilsurp.com could come in handy if I do decide to get one. I was looking at them in the SOG catallog.

Do they shoot pretty good, is the ammo readily available?
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

These are fun little guns to shoot, but certainly no powerhouses! A dream for reloaders, as it's very easy to make ammo using .32-20 cases. We get about 740FPS out of our current loads. Use cast lead bullets, and it's great for plinking steel paddle targets.
    The trigger pull can be stiff, but can be worked down fairly easily too.
    The factory ammo situation is getting better, since these guns are getting so popular. Fiocci is still expensive. I think NRAJoe has a line on some Russian-made ammo. In time, Wolf or S&B will likely make it.
    In a pinch, .32S&W, .32S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum will work, but will be deformed.
    There are some guns and cylinders around chambered for the 7.62X25 round as used in the CZ52 pistol - DO NOT use these! Unsafe.
  5. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

If I had to do it over again, I would not have bought one. The one I have is in great shape, clean, and works great. The accuracy is way off, but is a bullet spitter. I have tried different types of ammo, all with the same results. It is OK to try to have fun with, but it was one of the few disappointing purchases I have made. Aquila .32 S&W Long is plentiful and cheap enough for use in the Nagant. There was plenty of it at the gun show today. I ordered some from AIM some time ago.
  6. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

i think classic arms also has some, but i dont know if they still have any

www.classicarms.us
  7. NRAJOE

At 20 feet my '38 Izzy shoots 1 1/2 inches low to the right but has nice groupings...

The true Russian 7.62x38r ammo can be had at SOG for $14.95/40...thats what its supposed to shoot...people don't fire the correct ammo out of them then moan about how innacurate they are.

Take it for what it is...a piece of history thaat is fun to handle and shoot...
    Last edited: May 7, 2006
  8. Big Dog

My 1939-dated Tula shoots about two inches high and left with the home-brewed loads. Okay group, not a target gun for sure!
    Just a fun little plinker with some history. :target:
  9. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

I would be thrilled to have just 1.5 inches off.
    I do shoot the 7.62 Nagant ammo and still think mine is inaccurate. Mine shoots six to eight inches low with nice tight groupings regardless of the type of ammo. Obviously, it is not because of the ammo. And people moan falsely about people moaning about the inaccuracy caused by the wrong ammo.
    It is nowhere near the most fun gun I have, but it is a bit of history.
  10. NRAJOE

Just came back from the range...took my '53 CZ52...My Ruger P95DC...AND MY '25 Tula Nagant.

Now THAT one I had to hold at the bottom ring of the target to hit in the middle....but nice 1 1/2 groupings.
  11. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

I was seeing similar results. On a silhouette target, I had to aim for the throat in order to hit the forehead.
  12. Rockh0und

Rockh0und G&G Newbie

Well, my dad just said if I'd order us a pair he'd pay for them so I don't care if it shoots a foot low, a free gun's a free gun. I'll let you know how far mine's off.
  13. 2Dbone

2Dbone G&G Newbie

I like mine just fine

It has a 12 pound double-action pull. It shoots consistent groups. It handles .32 magnum rounds just fine, so I don't know what all the fuss about stopping power and ammo availability is about.
  14. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

are they pretty reliable like other russian weapons are?
  15. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

Reliable? Absolutely. I have never had a problem with function with my '41 Tula. The only problem that I have seen is that with each type of ammo I have used, extraction from the cylinder can be a bit difficult. I don't like the gate load style to begin with rather than a swing out cylinder. But hey, it is an old Russian revolver. The problem I have had is that some casings swell a bit and I have to poke them back out with a small screwdriver (I usually keep one with me for adjusting sights, anyway). I can see the bulge in some of the casings where it got tight and stuck. I have seen this on the 7.62 Nagant ammo as well as the .32 S&W Long rounds. No big deal, just a little inconvenience for a minute or so.
  16. NRAJOE

The 7.62x38r spent casings will just drop out when they are done in my two Nagants...just open the loading gate, tilt gun...plink plink plink...no bulged casings.

Thats why I don't shoot anything out of a gun that its not meant to fire.
    I only want a bulge in my pants...not my guns...:D
  17. Big Dog

Now we know where NRAJoe hides his High-Point pistol. :guitar:
  18. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

I have shot the 7.62 Nagant quite a bit and it does not make a difference in mine. I still get some bulged casings. I have from day one.
  19. Rockh0und

Rockh0und G&G Newbie

I was reading on a web site that the cylinder on these moves forward when they're cocked and sort of seals off against the barrel. It said that doing this increases the velocity of the round because it lets less gas escape.

What all rounds can these things shoot?
    7.62 nagant, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag... anything else?
  20. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

that is all the ones i have heard of, but if you want the best performance, use the 7.62 Nagant because the gun was intended for this