Russian Makarov .380 are there any out there?

Discussion in 'Makarov' started by bananalover, Nov 23, 2011.

1. bananalover

bananalover G&G Newbie

I was going through my inventory and found a gun I purchased back in the early/mid 1990s wrapped up in a sock. Still in Mint condition, Russian Makarov .380 caliber Nickel plated (or maybe its, satin stainless steel)...

I purchased this at a local gun dealer in northern ohio. Shot maybe about 25 rounds thru it and i remember it being darn accurate. Are these guns still out there i have not heard a peep about these Markarov' on any gun/rifle forum i have been on for years....

Makarov Roll Call......

Are there any Makarov' out there?????
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

There are plenty Maks out there, but 99% are in 9x18mm.
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I hear about them now and then, but I've never seen one. You'd think Izmash would be making them in .380 and promoting them. It's a reliable action, easy to maintain; the gun is a single stack so nicely concealable, and with the right cartridge up the spout (Hornady Critical Defense or similar) it makes a respectable CCW gun.

Does a standard 9x18 Makarov Pistol magazine accept .380s, the way the CZ-82 magazines work in the CZ-83? (Same pistol, just .380 vs 9x18 Mak.)
  4. hfreyer

hfreyer G&G Regular Forum Contributor

Makarov 380

Here is mine.

Attached Files:

5. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I owned a Makarov IJ-70 and made a big mistake trading it for a Colt Officer Model 80, .45 acp. I love the .45 but when Colt started their changes, they just couldn't seem to stop.
    I'd gladly trade the COM .45 for the concealable little IJ-70.
    BTW, 9x18 is the standard caliber for the Makarov; .380 is an off-shoot. The 9x18 is a formidable cartridge.
  6. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

.380 should work in a 9x18 Mak. I know I can shoot .380 in my 9x18 CZ82 all day long. Granted, it isn't going to be as accurate because the smaller diameter of the bullet.

I would hold onto the .380 Mak. That's really neat. I didn't know they ever made them like that.
  7. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

I have seen .380 Mak barrels for sale. they were popular before 9x18 ammo was imported. I have been looking for a threaded barrel for my IJ-70 but all I can find are .380 barrels. I like the 9x18 better
  8. bananalover

bananalover G&G Newbie

Here's mine, cant tell/remember if its nickel or the satin/stainless finish its been stored for 15-16 years... .380 caliber.

Attached Files:

9. D_midwest

D_midwest G&G Newbie

I have a Mak in 380 with the threaded barrel, also a couple other Russian Mak's in 9x18 one double Stack. They are out here just finding the right price. I think yours maybe nickle (try a magnet). I have seen a couple on different sites, the early ones had non adjustable sights, not sure if the factory nickel or by others.

Nice looking ole Mak!!
  10. Kevin F

Kevin F G&G Newbie

Yes, I believe you can use the same magazine for either.
  11. Kevin F

Kevin F G&G Newbie

At one time, I had 4 Makarovs. I still have 2. I have an IJ-70 in 9x18, and a Bulgarian one, also in 9x18. I sold my East German and Norinco Maks. I wish I had kept them!
  12. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

If anyone is interested, I have a .380 barrel for a Makarov for sale or trade.
  13. melloyello

melloyello G&G Regular

I've got a Makarov in 380 and still have it.
    Used to be my Concealed Carry weapon for 10 years!
  14. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

I was Possible to buy .380 barrels and change over 9x18 mak's to .380acp with just a barrel change it is possible to fire .380acp ammunition in a 9x18 mak but it wont function reliably and accuracy falls off. The issue is the dimentions of the case and the bullet. .380acp (or in Europe the 9mmkurtz) is 1mm shorter 380 is 9x17mm so the case can not index correctly in the chamber. the bullet is slightly smaller too. if you have a Mak with a tight bore it may be ok But I wouldnt bet your life on it.
    Fed ord used to sell lots of interesting barrels for Mak's, cz52's, and lots of pistols. You could once get threaded barrels that "dropped in" with fake suppressors... flash hiders and such.
    There was a anti gun Federal prosacutor that was assasinated in Seattle Washington with a Makarov a few years ago. It reportedly had had a Fed ord barrel. The ATF went around with a customer list from Fed ord wanting to test all the guns that had had those barrels installed.
    The owners never got their guns back.
    Fed ord went out of business and it kinda killed off the aftermarket for makarovs. Thats also why we cant get the millions of Soviet Makarovs sitting in storage... here to the US markets. They have used the sad murder of the anti gun guy to change the entire country. To further their own political agenda.
  15. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I have 2 of the IJ-70 Makarovs. One in 9 x 18 and one in .380 and a conversion for each one for the other caliber. I CCW the 380 and the 9x18 is stored and still NIB.
    Rich
  16. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

i have a german makarov i carry around the property alot.... fits right in my back pocket and it's a good reliable shooter....
  17. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

my poor IJ-70 Makarov seldom gets carried any more. the Polish p-64 is smaller but shoots the same bullet and the CZ 82 is the same size but with a higher capacity in the same caliber. since the IJ's monetary value is more than either of the other 9x18 pistols it is probably for the better that she has become a safe queen.
  18. K75RT

K75RT G&G Enthusiast

Yes, Cyrano the magazines used for the 9x18 are the same as those for the .380ACP... :lew:
  19. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

it is really too bad that Fed. Ord. went out of business. they made lots of good stuff including after market magazines that actually worked! I have a bunch of Mini 14 mags from them that were in expensive and 100% reliable.
  20. melloyello

melloyello G&G Regular

Are there any other known issues shooting the 380 out of the Makarov aside from accuracy? Not looking at self-defense but I shooting 380s is really enjoyable. I picked up a CZ-82 but can't find any CZ-83 barrels for it. The threaded barrel would be the icing if I every got a suppressor!