Russian Red Furniture

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Aviator, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Aviator

Aviator G&G Newbie

Can anyone tell me about the red finish of some AKs. I see AKs on the internet that have a red wood finish and I am thinking about doing same to mine.

I need to know what the finish is, what any of you have used.

Thanks, Aviator
  2. billt

billt G&G Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my Lancaster Arms "Russian Red" Model. Lancaster builds high end AK-47's, and they are avaliable with different wood options. Their website lists prices and all of their different models. Bill T.

0_home Lancaster Arms
  3. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

That red one, or as you stated, Russian Red, is beautiful. I don't think it's worth $799 or more to get one though. I think I'd buy just the furniture or stain my own if I had one to get that look before I spent that kind of money. I mean, hell, $799 can buy a hell of a lot of 7.62X39...lol
  4. billt

billt G&G Regular

The cheapest WASR 10 Romanian guns are going for well over $500.00 here. That is assuming you can even find one. The days of cheap AK's and cheaper ammunition for them is over. Many think Hussein will ban the importation of foreign ammo altogether. He can do this very quietly and uncerimoniously with an Executive Order, much like old man Bush did with the importation of many foreign guns like Poly Tech and the like. Clinton did much the same with many types of surplus ammunition. It's the reason you see so many "demilled" military ammo components for sale. That can't sell it as ammunition. No matter how you cut it, it's going to start costing more to own and shoot AK-47 platform rifles, like it or not. Bill T.
  5. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

Hi , Aviator

I tried this and think it is something I can live with. While it is not as dark red as Billts pictures it is still red enough for me. After stain I used BLO and hand rubbed till nice and shiney. Like the author says you can poly spray it should you like.

Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles

luck
  6. HK45

HK45 G&G Newbie

I wanted this Red Russian back when I could get it for $600. I figured I would buy a few other things and then get this beauty. Man was that a very wrong plan!!!! The cheapest I have found her now is going for $730. She is gorgeous, but I'm not paying that much for a rifle that was originally built to be cheap.
  7. billt

billt G&G Regular

I think the whole "cheap" stigma that surrounds the AK-47 is achieved, and is a result of the slave labor most were built with, not in the way the rifle itself was constructed. Today AK-47's are constructed in free market countries on quality, modern, CNC Machining Centers by skilled craftsmen. They cost as much or more to produce than any other semi automatic rifle. Lancaster Arms is a perfect example of this. Their machine shop and production facility is only about 10 miles from my house. It has just as modern of equipment any arms maker today. Hence, the higher prices. The AK-47 is the most produced weapon in the world, and is in fact produced all over the world. This is why overall the cost of these guns has been quite low. Now with shooters in this country buying more and more of them, especially with Hussein in the White House, cost will undoubtedly go up. Especially on the high quality guns produced here. Bill T.
  8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I really like the red furniture as well. If you can get some of the stain made by Chestnut Ridge, it is beautiful.
  9. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Back to the original question the red look in acheived with wood stain there are several colors red mahogany, cherry ......... You get the idea .Go to the store and check out what they have . The keys I have found in getting wood to look as good as it can are as follows.

First strip any old stain or oil finish
    Second I put the wood in a pan of boiling water for 20 min or so this makes the grain pop out . Let the wood hang in a well ventelated room for 48 hrs.
    Then starting with 220 sand paper just caress the wood we are not trying to remove any wood ,we are making the grain "come to us" just smoothing the surface.
    From 220 grit I move up to 400 ,then 600 grit paper . You will probably will have to buy the last two at a auto paint store but some hardware stores carry them .

Third I let it set for 30 days just to be sure any water in the stock is evaporated. The last thing you want is wet grain wood.

Then apply THIN coats of desired stain to the wood if you stain it thick it will look like crap. Follow manufacture of the stains directions to the letter.

Then comes the part that makes or breaks the refinish the top coat .
    Guys have debated what is better as a top coat for as long as I have been alive
    and I sure a lot longer. I use lacqer many many coats of hand rubbed lacqer a lot of guys like polyurathian (sp) but I think it looks bubbed as we call it.
    Being sure to hand rub the wood between coats of laquer is key thats what gives you that mile deep finish.
  10. billt

billt G&G Regular

I'm sure a company like Minwax has a shade you would like. Formby's is another company that has really good wood finishing products. Bill T.
  11. HK45

HK45 G&G Newbie

Unfortunately I have to disagree with the machining aspect of why prices are higher. Two months ago I could buy a Lancaster Blonde for $579 and a Red for $600. Then about 3 weeks ago those prices changed to $679 and $729. I just checked the current prices and now they are both $900. Yes I know Obama has a big part in this, but an increase of 64% in price is just vendors taking advantage of the situation. What's even more stupid is that we as consumers are succumbing to such debauchery.
  12. billt

billt G&G Regular

True, but you have to realize when the Lancaster guns were selling for $579.00 and $600.00 respectively, there were Romanian WASR 10's going in my area for $369.00 to $425.00. Now they are over $550.00 to $600.00 assuming you can even find one. The better made guns will always be higher. Same with ammo for some reason. I just got back from Cabela's. They have tons of .223 in stock, but not one single round of 7.62X39 MM to be had in the store anywhere. No brass or .311 dia. bullets either. It was just the opposite 1 year ago. Bill T.
  13. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Stains tend to look differently depending on the wood it's used on.

Look at the same colors of stain and how the colors can tend to look differently, even slightly can be a lot, on different wood types.

I'd like to see how the Georgian Cherry would look on laminated wood?

Wood You - Stain Chart

I think to get that or any other nice shade of red or a Russian red color, one might have to do some mixing and experimenting if a suitable color isn't readily available that they like???

And again, woulds previously stained, unless that stain/color has been thoroughly sanded off, it will in some way affect the color of the new stain. And one has to watch just how much sanding is done as too much will alter fit. And even though you may have obtained the finish and color you want, it then might not look good due to the fit???
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  14. Aviator

Aviator G&G Newbie

Thanks everybody for the commets. BILLT's AK is the red that I like. I am going to go to our local hardwood speciality dealer this weekend. I have been there before getting everything (with their advice) I needed to redo the stocks on several of my rifles. I figure they will be able to get me someting close to BILLT's beautiful AK. Having his pictures is what I needed.

The stock on my RPK appears to be oak but they will probably be able to say better then I. I'll let you guys know when I get something that will work.

Aiviator
  15. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Is your rpk romanian ? If so its laminated in that case dont boil it that would be a Oh ship!! moment . Just sand it lightly .
  16. 671shooter

671shooter G&G Newbie

billt thats some nice red furniture, yep take your time as i tried to get the red effect on my mak90 but oh well i tried. i used minwax red mahogany on mine. on my thread u could get an idea on how the blond furniture looked after the mahogany red, only coated once then quickly wiped it with a clean rag, let dry then 2 coats polyurethane
  17. Aviator

Aviator G&G Newbie

I thought I'd jump in and say that I went to my local hardwood dealer and talked with them about the stain I would need. I got a bayonet with my RPK when I bought it from Classic Arms. Not sure why since it doesn't look like it would fit. Anyway it appears to be a real used one from the era and it has the red bakellite or was it phenolic handle. Looks authentic to me anyway. I was able to match that color with a canned finish from the dealer. It is not the dark red as shown it the preceeding pictures. It is more rust in color. Anyway I have stripped the old finish (what there was of it) off and have applied the new stain. It is named "Cayenne Pepper" so that will give you some idea.

Pictures to come later this week.

Aviator.
  18. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

You might try Minwax "Bombay Mahogany" on a small hidde section.