Russian sks with tapco 20 rd mag wont feed

Discussion in 'SKS' started by camelkicker2000, Jun 30, 2011.

1. camelkicker2000

camelkicker2000 G&G Newbie

Hey guys new to the board and more the less to the sks. I recently picked up a pretty nice condition Russian sks. It had been modified already not to much though. I am decided since the gun isn't original to have fun with it. I have a ati strike force but stock and trimmed the bolt so I can pull the magazine out with the bolt forward. I recently got two 20 rd tapco mags. when I got to chamber a round the hit right below the chamber. Anyone have any experience fixing this issue? I have included pics to show you my issue. I know the magazine isn't pinched due to my setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

I've heard that the modified SKS's that use magazines can be very picky on what type of magazines they will feed properly from. My SKS loves the Tapco mags. Does it happen on every round, or is the problem intermittent?

BTW, welcome to G&G! Where in Colorado are you from? I was stationed in the Springs for 4 years up at the Mountain.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

What do you mean..."You trimmed the Bolt " ???
  4. Ninja Piper

I was wondering the same thing...
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

It never ceases to amaze me when someone alters a rifle designed to feed from a 10 round integral magazine to take higher capacity detachable magazines, and they then wonder why the rifle does not want to function.

Here's a radical notion: Is it possible -- is it just possible -- that the rifle's designer knew more about it and how it's supposed to work than you do? When General Simonov designed his rifle, the principles of the detachable magazine were long established and well known; yet he chose not to design the rifle to use one. So you are taking a rifle meant to feed with a certain tension and mucking with it. You are taking a rifle meant to use a fixed magazine and introducing some wiggle to it because detachable magazines by their nature can't lock in as tightly as a fixed mag. I personally don't think that is terribly smart.

And fiddling with the bolt of any rifle is something to approach with caution. Just what do you mean when you say, "I trimmed the bolt," exactly? How much metal did you remove from the bolt and/or bolt carrier, and where? I think we need comparison photos here of an unaltered bolt and your trimmed bolt.

Also, I would like to remind you that a bat-brained judge and a BATFE investigator out to make names for themselves sent a National Guard sergeant up the river because his SKS with worn parts slam-fired and the BATFE decreed it was a machine gun. When you start fiddling with the internals, unless you know what you are doing you can really bugger up the gun.

If you want a rifle in 7.62x39 ComBloc with a detachable magazine, buy yourself an AK-47 or a Saiga Sporter. Don't go modifying a rifle not meant to take detachable magazines by forcing it to be something it is not.
  6. Ozarkrecluse

Ozarkrecluse G&G Newbie

Check on sksboards.com . I'm sure one of the experts there can help you. The bolt fix is fairly common with those guys.
  7. camelkicker2000

The black metal magazine isn't the one I am talking about. But it had the same feed issue instead of feeding into the chamber it hit right below the chamber on both sides. The magazines aren't scraping on the sides of the stock at all. You can push a piece of paper through with out any binding. The only thing I had to do is trim the front of the mag to make it fit in the current stock.
    For the Bolt mod. I got rid of the buckbill which they suggest for using the tapco magazines from what I read. I also put a spring in it to keep it from slap firing. I understand the guy that designed the weapon must know more than me. I am not a master gunsmith. But I am armorer for the us military and have been trained to modify a few things on rifle. There isn't a reason to get so bent out of shape talking about a rifle that I own and not yourself. If the rifle wasn't modified when I got it. It would of stayed completely original. Do, to the fact that the gun wasn't original at all its time to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

After doing some Googling , apparently these SKS Modifiers are removing the lower lips from the bolt. These lips ride inside the Magazine lips when the bolt is fully closed, so you cant remove the magazine from the gun with a closed bolt.
    They are using sanders and grinders and such to do this and patterning it after the SKS-M bolt which had a removable mag...AK 47 mags.

It is a sore spot with me that people take Russian Rifles that have tripled/quadrupled in value over the past years and Ruin that value to make a fancy shooter out of a Battle rifle doing Modifications like this.
    People with No knowledge of gunsmithing or gun collecting then complain it doesnt work...If you are an Armorer, you should Mechanically know how things are supposed to work, and common sense should tell you what your appoach should be to solving the problem. LOOK at IT !!!
    It is one of 2 things. Either the angle of the magazine/ or feed lips are wrong , or the mag has too low of a feed ramp in front for your rifle.
  9. camelkicker2000

I understand your sore spot for this. i saw how much a all original sks from russia went for. I could of never imagained paying over 200 bucks for a sks. Like I said if mine was all original it would stayed that way. I understand allot of the measurements on how a weapon works but a armorer is not a gunsmith. They are trained with allot more knowledge. I can tweak the life out of a ar15 or some of other weapons the army uses. Ak or any russian arm is different. I can apply what I know but asking for help or advice on a new subject from somebody who has mastered that particular subject; is going to be the best way to approach it. I can tell you my current sks before I touched with what had been replaced and the lack of matching serial numbers is worth about 70 bucks. It is to bad but gives me a damn nice gun to play with.
  10. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-
    Hmm. Well I can't see any of the pictures or images you posted. Looks like you tried to use photobucket but you can also just attach them like you would attach something to an email. Anyway, do you have any pictures of the bolt and of anything else that might show us the issue? I really don't have a problem with people making mods to their stuff. If you couldn't make mods, then it would cease to be fun to me.
  11. camelkicker2000

Finished project I had to cut the end of the duckbill off so it would fit into the stock easier and for some matching plastic. I then filled the front of the mag down till it fit in the well. Last I took a piece of the plastic glued it to the back of the mag so the catch didn't have a gap. Once you file the front the catch has about a 3mm gap in it.

Cut the duckbill shorter
    [​IMG]

Filed the front down
    [​IMG]

then glue the plastic on the back and file it down
    [​IMG]

I will fix the other pics in a bit had to move the files around so there links are broken.
  12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Well... honestly what I see is you have altered the angle of the magazine and raised the rear of it , which lowers the front angle of the bullets leaving the mag.It appears you also removed the bullet ramp so that means you are screwed...
    I cannot for the life of me see why this was done on the mag catch...The Mag should have fit as is, if you just relieved the bottom of the "duckbill" so the mag would swing when released. There should be some Vertical play in the mag and not a tight fit...
  13. camelkicker2000

I actually just had to take in the front a little bit and add to the rear. The advice on how to make it work came from Tapco themselves. Took the gun to the mountains and it shoots great. Bolt catch and everything still works. Yes I did have to modify the bolt to use tapco mags. But they said almost all Russian sks's have this feed issue with their mags after following the directions worked great.

What are you talking about with removing the bullet feed ramp? The spacer on the back was needed due to the change of angle of the mag and how it fits in a russian sks. So, it alo raised up into the body few mm. It actually not that uncommon in russian sks's. But has been known to happen.

Thanks for the reference to the sks boards they were on it. Not one bit of negative feedback either.I can post the tapco instruction on here if you wish. If you follow them on crappy metal mags they work as well. The best part is the original 10rd carbine mag still works as well.

Just to clarify it fits nice and snug but not to tight. You hit the release and the mag falls right out!
  14. Ninja Piper

I can't really speak too much for your rifle, but my SKS feeds just fine with the unaltered Tapco mags. Nothing has been altered on the rifle except to drop it into the Draganov style stock. Have you tried other makes of magazines (unaltered, of course) to see if that solves the problem?
  15. camelkicker2000

Yes, I have had a few different metal ones and most to them didn't work out. have 30 rd that works alright but now that I know how to modify the tapco to work. I am going to stick with them.
  16. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The fact you are an armorer reassures me, camelkicker2000. Mind you, I still don't approve of modifying SKS internals! I'm fond of the rifles in stock, as-issued format.
  17. camelkicker2000

I understand what your are saying. Like I said, "if the rifle was completely original when I got it. It would of stayed that way." Due to the fact it wasn't and it has mismatched serial numbers it was worth so much less. It was a great gun to play with. I saw how much completely original Russian sks's go for. Nearly had a had a heart attack. But when a weapon isn't worth much due to previous altering than I think its awesome when people modify them to tailor their own personal interest.

There is something to be said about things people customize whether it is firearms, vehicles, or even house. If we all just kept things completely original and never change anything. Our society would be rather dull. Might as well be communist then. America, is amazing because people change everything to fit them. Imagine how boring the hot rod scene would be if no one change anything; or Harley's. So, it might be your personal belief; that's cool. I agree if the particular item is worth a ton of money that way. But, I personally love how people modify things to fit their interest.
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

And mine refused to work with them. Plus I couldn't load them with the stripper clips.
  19. Ninja Piper

I've heard they are pretty much all hit or miss with different magazines.
  20. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Well I am NOT either an armorer or a gunsmith, so I just put the old mag back in. Honestly It was just about as fast reloading it with stripper clips twice than loading up the 20 round mag once with 20 anyway.