Rust Blueing - What can I boil a barrel in?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ShellShock, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ShellShock

ShellShock G&G Newbie

I've got a shotgun barrel and the barrel of an Eddystone ("American Enfield" Model of 1917) that I want to rust blue, unfortunately, I have nothing big enough to boil them in.

Aside from spending $50 for a purpose built tank, are there any other ways to boil a barrel?
  2. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

Tractor Supply, Home Depot, and similar stores. Just a long galvanized tank.
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmm . . .

I suggest a little more research before launching off into this project.
    Yes, you may pull it off but things can go wrong and it is oft better left to
    people who do this as part of their livlihood.

Please do spend some more time in study.
  4. MontyEllis

MontyEllis G&G Newbie

I'm going to second nathangdad. Spend some time reading up.
  5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

NO Galvanized Tanks...
    Zinc is NOT Compatible...
    You better study the process and Get the right materials or Just Pay an expert to do it right the first time...
  6. ShellShock

ShellShock G&G Newbie

I've done small rifle parts and pistols before, I've just never tried a rifle or shotgun barrel. I suppose I'll plunk the money into buying a proper tank. I just kind of wondered if anyone had built a custom tank because it would be rather handy to be able to do more than one barrel at a time.
  7. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I read this suggestion the other day on a different forum.

Go to Home Depot or Menards or similar and buy yourself 2 stainless steel mud pans and cut the right end off one and the left end off the other and weld (if you can do it) or have them welded together.
  8. ShellShock

ShellShock G&G Newbie

That was what I was thinking, I saw the mud pans at my semi-local Menards and considered building a parkerizing tank with them. Glad to see that someone else has had similar thoughts.
  9. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

If you're going to buy all the material just for one or two jobs it might be more economically sensible just to pay a smith to do the job properly for you. That's what I've found. If I do all the preparatory work, my local gunmaker will do two barrels for me for about $80 and I get a top quality job done by a proffessional.
  10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Wuns suggestion makes sense to me !! And I am worried about that, lol !!
  11. Doug B.

Doug B. G&G Regular

If you want to try a project yourself......more power to you as far as I am concerned.
    Try a piece of black iron pipe of the proper diameter with one end capped. While boiling over your fire outside, take the time to roast some weenies, have a cup of coffee and enjoy the day!
  12. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

Check your facts

Galvanized is not compatible with hot salts bluing, for rust bluing you just use boiling water to get the barrel hot and then swab on the bluing solution. You really need a cabinet that you can control the temperature and humidity in to get a good fine grained rust. I takes many many applications to get a deep blue but properly done it is unsurpassed.
  13. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

I was quoting from memory one of my favorite gunsmithing books. Published in the mid-60's I believe, it recommended rust bluing and galvanized tanks. I wasn't aware of the incompatibility with galvanized tanks and other techniques of bluing, however.

As many others have said before me, forums are a great place for LEADS, but you better make sure you can verify them.
  14. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Purdy I must at this time correct you on one point having been doing rust bluing for many years the barrel is cleaned degreased and then the rust bluing solution is put on the barrel and put in a humidity cabinet and then when it is rusted suficiently,then and only then it is put into the boiling water and boiled and then allowed to dry and the rust carded off and the process repeated until the depth of blue that is wanted achived.
    Steve
  15. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

Anybody here want to quote him a price to do it for him?
  16. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

There are rust bluing solutions that go directly to boiling water, no humidity cabinet is used.

I have always heard the humidity cabinet method called "cold rust blue" and the direct to boiling water the "hot rust blue".

For boiling barrels I found a long, narrow stainless pan at a used restaurant supply place and put it on my BBQ. I do need to weld six inches to it so I can do Enfield barreled actions. The hot rust blue works great and is an fairly easy method for the DIY'er.
  17. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Yes mcb there are solutions as you describe but my experience with them is that they do not give as good and deep a bluing job as the cabinet method.
    Steve
  18. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

I agree.

I think the cold rust blue gives a higher gloss with more of a blue tone to the finish. The hot rust blue is more black than blue with slightly less gloss when starting with the same steel finish.

As far as durability I haven't seen any difference other than the cold rust blue may start showing some loss of gloss from holster carry after a extended period of time. Maybe after twenty years of holster carry I well see some difference.
  19. Ted White

Ted White G&G Newbie

We have a need to impart a slight blueing to some steel components we sell. Not gun parts, but non-stainless steel. Is there a fast dip type of system? Chemical wash sort of thing that does not require so many steps?

We don't need the caliber of blueing that firearms require.

Thanks much for any ideas.
  20. MLN1963

MLN1963 G&G Newbie

Ted

Maybe Brownell's Oxpho Blue would suit your needs?

BROWNELLS : OXPHO-BLUE® - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools_