S&W 626-B Classic, 44 mag, stainless, 6"

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson' started by 22plinker, Dec 14, 2010.

1. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

I didn't see any posts or comments on this gun. I found one locally, that is for sale at $450. It has Hogue grips & has no nicks, dings or wear marks, has nice smooth (light) single action trigger plus very easy, release on double action. I reload 44 mag for my 1894 Marlin & wonder what kind of "kick" the S&W would have with light 165gr SWC using 7gr trailboss?
    Does anybody have this gun, or is familiar with it? Thanks for your comments.
  2. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

It's a great gun, and that load would be pretty much a "mouse fart" load for it. I've never met a S&W revolver I didn't like.
  3. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

I have an identical gun with a 5" barrel. Stainless steel S&W N-frame revolvers are fantastic. The load you mentioned should be easy to shoot. $450 is a good price for a 6" gun in good shape.
    I think you mean a S&W Model 629, unless you are talking about the 1990's Mazda 626 sedan. :silly:
  4. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Correction: 629 S&W (not 626)

It is a 629, the stainless model of the Model 29. Thanks to the all the email that I received, correcting my error. I haven't bought it yet, still thinking about it!
  5. hounddawg

hounddawg G&G Newbie

That's not a bad deal, especially considering with the rifle, the sum being greater than the parts. That would be an excellent "companion" gun for your Marlin. If your better half complains, you can say that the Hounddawg Jewed* you into it.

*Note: No religious slur. I am a Jew.
  6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Well, what are you waiting for?!?!?!? Christmas? LOL

BUY that thing!!
  7. Wille

Wille G&G Newbie

Buy it!

I own a 629 classic, with a 8 3/8” barrel. I find it very easy to shoot with, independent of what kind of ammunition used. At 24 yards on the shooting range, holding the gun with 2 hands, standing up with no rest, all the shots from one round will be within a diameter of ~3 inches and I’m not a good target shooter. With one hand it spreads more of course, but I never miss the target paper. “Kick” –well, since the gun is very heavy it does not kick considerably, the mass of it dampens the recoil. The trigger is perfect, you don’t have to customize or “improve” it.

It was a long time since I last had the opportunity to visit the shooting range with my 629. I bought it new when I worked in US years ago but I could not bring it with me home. It would be practically impossible to get a weapons permit for a that kind of gun in Sweden, where I live. A friend in US keeps it for me. At rare occasions when I visit US I pick up the gun and go to the shooting range.

Buy the gun, it’s a piece of weapons history. Finish is like swiss watch. Hat off to S&W and Elmer Keith!