S&W Model 10 age

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson' started by rd59vette, Sep 3, 2011.

1. rd59vette

rd59vette G&G Newbie

Guys,

I recently acquired a nickel S&W model 10 .38 special. I thought it was odd that it didn't have the model number anywhere on the gun but it is definately a model 10. It is in relativly good shape but I was wondering about it's age. The serial number on the bottom of the grip and rear of the cylinder is 454xxx.
    Does anyone have asource to date it by serial number?

Thanks, Robert
  2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Have you looked under the crane, rd59vette? There is usually a model stamp there, 10 dash something. You may need to rub a piece of chalk over the area to bring the numbers out to where you can read them.
  3. rd59vette

rd59vette G&G Newbie

Cyrano,

I looked under the cylinder arm / crane and on the frame in front of the cylinder was the number 96517.

On top of the barrel:
    SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. U.S.A. PATENTED
    OCT. 8. 01. DEC 17. 01. FEB 6. 06. SEPT 14. 09. DEC. 29. 14

Left side of barreel:
    SMITH & WESSON

Rightside of barrel:
    .38 S. & W. SPECIAL CTG

Right side of frame under the cylinder:
    MADE IN U.S.A.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  4. jimbo-indy

jimbo-indy G&G Regular

S&W didn't start using model numbers till around 1957 or so. Prior to that, they used names. What is now a model 10 was known as a "Military and Police"
    The serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame. Does it have a letter prefix, such as C or V or S? If no letter prefix, it would date to before about 1940.
    I will look up your serial number in "Standard Handbook of Smith & Wesson" when I get home and will post later. Please check the grip frame for the serial number as S&W also used assembly numbers in many places and thesse have no relation to date or serial number.
  5. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

The knurled knob on the ejector rod looks different. I wish I was home to compare it with a more modern version; I don't think mine is near as old as that one.

Hope Jimbo comes back with something. The picture piqued my curiosity.
  6. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I have a blued version of what looks like the same gun and has the same markings except my sn is # 502xxx. I believe It's a pre war M&P 1905 4th Change. at least thats what I've been able to look up.
  7. jimbo-indy

jimbo-indy G&G Regular

You have a ".38 Military and Police Model of 1905-4th Change" The serial numbers for this gun run from 241704 in 1915 up to 1000000 in 1942. As a frame of reference, the one I have is 659XXX which is fairly accurately dated to 1936. I would guess yours is late '20s to early '30s.
    Your gun has obviously been re-polished and nickled after it left the factory (the lettering and logo are not sharp. Indicated heavy buffing) and the grips are not factory either. Thus, it has little collector value, not that these guns had much collector value anyway due to the vast quantities produced.
    These are still fine revolvers. Most have very slick actions due to the skilled employees who made them. NOTE! DO NOT USE +P AMMO. These old revolvers didn't have the heat treated cylinders of the newer versions. They can be very accurate with regular ammo, especially wadcutters. Enjoy!

HERE'S MINE:
    [​IMG]
  8. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

It is very accurate, unfortunately the Blue book list the value at $1,400 at 100% .My guns at like 95% and I cant get $300 for it.
  9. jbocop

jbocop G&G Newbie

S&W Military & Police

This has helped me tremendously....thanks guys. I got my grandpa's gun when he passed in '86. It is priceless to me. With what i read here, my gun should be from around the late 20's. Serial # 432XXX. i'll bet it has some stories.
  10. jcfirearmfan

jcfirearmfan G&G Newbie

Old S&W Model 10.

Great forum-much appreciated. I too have an old model10 I inherited from my grandfather. It has the same barrel stampings listed from rd59vette (dated 9-4-2011) including the same mushroom-style knurled knob at front of the cartridge push rod. However, mine has same factory grips as jimbo-indy (a 9-9-2011 reply) plus original bluing, 5" barrel, number on the frame beneath the barrel mount is x8337(punched, but determineable using magnification), number on bottom of barrel is B 400568, which is the same# found on rear of cartridge wheel, no number on the grip frame. I too would like to know its birth date. Thank you very much.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012