Sam Yang .45 questions ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tfd309, Jan 16, 2009.

1. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

Well BinfordW , this question is probably right up your alley .

Was checking out the stats on this rifle last night , and it is impressive to say the least , especially for the price .
    Now please correct me if I am wrong , but from what I read , this gun pretty much matches .45 ACP FPS and delivers a pretty fare whoppin as far as foot pounds go too ( or knock down power as I say ) . Like you have stated in the past , anyone can write anything , so is this statistic stuff I am reading pretty accurate and reliable ???? Do you know of anyone that ownes this rifle , and or have you shot one ??? I saw a picture once of a guy that took a big BOAR out with one and I thought that was pretty darn impressive , one shot no less .
    What do you think of this rifle ???? I thinkit gets the cool factor "A" plus mark personally, and I sure like the looks better than the Sumatra . Plus the uniquness of the .45 which I already know from shooting my 1911 Springfield Loaded Target pistol its a very accurate bullet .
    My questions are based becasue I am looking at getting something unique and odd , and in big bore possibley . I have so many littel calibers already is my point . Mind you cost of air and bullets are nothing to me or this on these questions either . This rifle scoped up good with like a Leopold quality optic, what ranges do you think I could ethically take out Pigs or deer with head shots ??? None fo my hunting is ever done over 100 yards , I stalk hunt and most of my shots are very close , generally 20 to 50 yards tops . We live in very tree and brush infested environments here in Washinton State Cascade area .

Thanks, and later , have a good day, got to make some money to buy me another gun , I got the itch now since I have been reading the the PCP threade you guys have been on this last couple days . Oh one mroe question, this gun says it can take up to 3,000 , how much energy will I suck out of my body and pocket book each time I do that ???

Thanks, Boken

Oh yeh , who should I buy it from ????
  2. binfordw

binfordw G&G Newbie

Personally I've never shot a big bore airgun, and don't have any experience with the Korean pcp's. I've done my share of reading up on big bores in general though, been interested off and on as using one to bring excitement back to deer hunting.

That Sam Yang .45 would be sufficent for whitetails and lesser sized critters such as hogs, as long as the ranges were kept in check- you wouldn't want to take 100-120 yard shots I doubt. People do take deer with them though, as well as other similarly powered bigbores.

The downside to such a powerful airgun, mainly, is air. They will suck it in a hurry. I would take a guess you'd manage 6-9 shots on one fill. If you plan on hunting only, and perhaps a few shots now and then, you could use a handpump. It wouldn't be something fun to shoot and fill very often though for sure!

As far as quality, I have heard good things about the Korean guns. They aren't top notch in the fit and finish dept, but as far as working quality and dependability, they are plenty fine IMO, it depends alot on what your used to. Accuracy is said to be very good, you wouldn't have much trouble smacking a pigs brain at 40-50 yards. It depends alot on finding the right ball or conical to shoot through it. After all, when your dealing with 180-200+ ft-lbs, you don't need one-hole groups to be considered accurate, IMO.

As far as where to buy, I would actually consider used. Check here often, see what shows up and what kinda prices.

Classifieds (Kitching)
  3. winchester_Rifl

winchester_Rifl G&G Newbie

Well my freind has the .50 korean gun not sure what model but it isnt that accurate and i wouldent recamend it for shooting deer it could take 1 down buti just dont like the thought of a air rifle killing a deer couse u half to make at least a perfect shot and no since in makeing a animal suffer i like going with the quick harmless kills.. but thats just my thoughts.... and i hunt alot so im not an anti hunter lol... thex
  4. binfordw

binfordw G&G Newbie

Too bad you were around in the early 1800's to tell Captain Meriwether Lewis his airgun wasn't ideal for game :D You could've also brought some sense to those using multishot airguns in the revolutionary war!
  5. winchester_Rifl

winchester_Rifl G&G Newbie

lol thats just me..
  6. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

Ha ha ha

--------------------------

Ha ha ha , yeh no kidding huh , LOL !!!!
    It always cracks me up when people are so brainwashed to think it matters that a gun that is gun powder driven and not air power driven works any different ? The air powered gun produces the same ballsitics and FPS and Knock Down Power as the gun powder gun , but they have a hard time grasping that it doesn't matter what the proppelent is , they just can't wrap thier heads around air power being a viable tool reguardless ???
    That's where I go , what a bunch of idiots , but I won't say that out loud !!!!! I just shake my head and move on .....
    When I hunt and am using either powered weapon , I definately look at the FPS , Bullet-Pellet , knock down power , all of it before I go afield or buy the gun so I know what I have and what it can and can't do . Whether its gun powder driven or air power driven makes no never mind to me , they work the same with killing , trust me ....

Thanks for the input on the Sam by the way BinfordW , am going to look into this further now and do some more research . I doubt I would go with a .50 caliber ever though , it is ballistically inferiour to a .45 any day of the week . But on that note a .177 is superior to everything any day of the week in my opinion . But I like the idea of a big boar air gun with massive take down power . It won't be for targets that's for sure anyway . I will keep my .22's and .177's for that target fun stuff for sure .
    And I actually have no problem with Korean guns or CHinese guns or American guns, Russian guns, it German guns , it makes me no never mind as long as I get what I pay for in equal ratio to dollar spent for quality recieved .I aint loyal to any maker , but I do love the Russian and German accuracy the most . I actually have yet to read anything bad about Korean guns , yet ??? I am sure I will but that goes with any reviews doesn't it ???? My Dad loves to shoot my IZ , but he hates that its Russian ? How stupid is that !!!!!

Boken
  7. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

Well , I got one on hold

Well BinfordW ,
    I got one of these on hold for me till Wednesday down in California , when I get paid .
    I want new so I am paying the $550 for it. I don't buy used air guns ever .
    Nobody I know takes as good as care as I do with them , and I would never buy a used PCP anwyay .
    I can't afford to shoot it when I buy it because I need to set-up agian with scuba gear . One step at a time here , I am in school for Nursing and work too so money is tight always . I will have to wait a month to even shoot it , but I am sure it will be worth the wait . Gives me time to re-do the stock work anway . This one is gettign the treatemnt let me tell ya , full blown Pachmyre recoil pad , grip cap for-end cap , all white lined and good American finish on the stock , not that Korean crud .
    I saw that gun take out a full grown Buffalo with two shots man ...I want one !!!!

Boken
  8. BUTCHER45

BUTCHER45 G&G Newbie

Buffalo was shot with a DAQ....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  9. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

Ooops, your right

Ooops your right , excuse me .
    I don't doubt the Sam yang could do it too though , especially with a head shot , no doubt about it . If a puny little 44/40 BP cartridge can do it ( and it was done allot with that cartridge ) the Sam Yang will knock a buffalos you know what in the dirt too .
    Point is , your right .

Mine gets shipped next Wednesday from Porshe' Airguns , was a tad bit short of cash this week and they did not get them in till today anyway . Will be worth the wait anyway , Buffalo or not , LOL !!! I dont plan on hunting any Buffalo anyway , but plenty of Black Tail Deer and Boar will fall to this beast I have no doubt about it . Fire up the Grill , Boken will be chewing flesh soon enough .... Just have to pick a scope and rings out now and pay for it of course too ???? Not sure what direction I am going on the scope yet ???? Probably 3x9x40mm adjsutable objective something , Illuminated Reticle for sure though , am growing quite fond of mine now for hunting ..And of course I got to buy a pump too . I have osme scuba guy friends that can hook me up cheap for that part , but want a hand pump too . Money money money money !!!!!

Straight Shooters never got back to me on my e-mail to them ?? Either they didn't get it , or they aint never getting my bussiness if they did ...

Boken
  10. BUTCHER45

BUTCHER45 G&G Newbie

Blacktails you say?

Boken,
    I went calling for coyote in the National Forrest here in the Willamette Valley, Oregon all day today (struck-out), and I was way overs-scoped using a fixed power 4X32mm. I want to get a Bushnell Holo-sight for mine. Even with my power-tuned 909 I would not shoot a big game animal out past 50-60 yards. Don't need much/any magnification for that, especially in thick timber/rain forest.
    A buffalo? I say you would need more gun. Those things are enormous. I'd want at least a 400+grain slug going over 850-900fps for such a true beast, or whatever it would take to do the job with a shot thru the heart/lungs. But that's just me.
    If you want to use your 909 for big game hunting, I highly suggest you get it tuned for power. My power-tuned, double air tube 909 shoots at least 4-5 shots of 240grain slugs between 690 and 700fps, giving you much better trajectory and power.
    Where do you intend to be hunting Blacktail Deer with an air rifle? Give it a year or two and it will be legal in Oregon if I can help it. It is illegal to hunt native deer with an air rifle on the West Coast.
    If you know something different about Washington I'm all ears, as I would gladly pay for an out-of-state hunting license, and deer tags and head up there to hunt native blacktail deer!
    A major goal of mine is to get bigbore airguns into the Oregon game regs as legal to use for Blacktail Deer hunting.
    The only states you can legally shoot a deer with a 909 are Missouri, Mississippi, and North Carolina from my understanding.
    Those are the only states where it is legal to hunt deer of any kind with your 909, unless you modified it to be a muzzleloader, then you could use it in New York, Kentucky, and Alabama.
    Wild/invasive/feral hogs are tailor-made for bigbore airguns, as long as you know your guns, and your own limitations. Here is one I shot with my 909 in Oklahoma. The second photo of the headshot on the hog might be considered graphic by some.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here in Oregon, there are two species I particularly like to hunt. One is all over the USA, that being the coyote. The second is the invasive and very damaging species Nutria. Kill all Nutria in the USA on sight if possible.
    [​IMG]
    I do not like the idea of modifying the 909 platform into muzzleloader form due to safety issues should for some reason the valve dump air while loading. Unlike a muzzleloader, the air rifle typically has air (the primed "charge") in it before loading the slug. Should the valve at this time, well, you can imagine, can't you? Sort of like the idea of "never trust a safety.
    If there is a safe 909 muzzleloading mod that I am unaware of, I would really like to know about it.
    A friend of mine participated in the first legal deer season for airgun in Missouri Fall 08 with his .452 Gargoyle air rifle that puts out Devastator Hollowpoints (approx. 205-207grains) at 944fps. Check it out.
    AirgunAdvice.net :: View topic - Deer hunting MO first airgun season.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  11. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

Ummm?

---------------------

Howdee ,

I said , ( read it again ) I have no doubt that the gun would take out a Buffalo , I didn't say I would do it . Personally I would want a Sharps in 45/110 at least , or maybe a .50 BMG , both headshots . That's all I take on game . If I only had a 909S , it would be fine too I am sure . Actually a 22LR or Ballistic tipped .22 or hollow point into the eye of the beast would do fine too out of a high power air rifle if you want to get down to facts .
    Not my chosen round for Buffalo , but it would kill them just fine . I have taken out 300 Pound Black Tail with a .22 LR ( head shot ) , so don't really want to hear the dribble it can't be done . They did not run either, they dropped like a rock . Blah blah blah on under powered on the 909S ......Ballistics don't lie , people do .

As far as scopes, use what you like and I will use what I like . I want diversity with my scopes , for different shooting situations , hence the Variable issue . If I happen to be shooting a day of targets with it too , then I want it kicked up to 9X for sure . Or 8 or 7 , get my point yet ???
    I use the Adjustable objective for range finding too , so that is why I like them . None of my shots hunting will ever be more than 50 yards or so anwyay , but I still like higher magnification too if I want it . Plus its nice to glass the terrain if I want to see whats out there better or to Bird Watch or whatever too . Choices man choices , and they are mine .

As far as Black Tail on the West Coast goes , I am Native American , I will do what I what when I want . Just remember your a visitor in "MY" land , not the other way around . Now where are those darn whales anyway that I have a right to hunt too !!!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice pictures by the way , awsome Boar !!!!! You should be proud of yourself for that . Was probably some darn good eatin too , fire up the grill , and then make some sausage for breakfast too , yummy !!!!
    Nutria is edible too, hope you at least tried it before making a desicion that it aint any good ??? I hate people that just kill stuff without eating it or at least trying to eat it , what a waiste of Gods creatures . At least use the pelts man !!!!
    Why are you shooting Coyote in a National Forest no less ??? Are they botheing you ???? Are they really an issue or are we the issue , we being "YOU" .
    Did you eat it too ? Did you use the Pelt and bones ?
    I always use the pelts when possible and feed my dogs with the bone meal and guts on animals .
    Fact of the matter is WHITE people have a history of devistating heards and species because they do not understand or respect environments of animals habbitat , nor do they have enough self control to Cull heards as needed to regulate and strengthen animals blood lines , or the envornment . Most people want trophy Deer as an example. Personally I want the most tender , and the ones that are not adding to the bloodline staying strong for the health of the herd . I will take a Spike or two point over and 8 point any day . Two reasons, you should never take a prime breeding Buck , and the other is the smaller ones taste better . If people were more like Ted Nugent , this world would be a healthier better place .
    Here is another point, do you think Ted Nugent actauly hunts his own game on his property when the FEDS tell him he can ??? NOT !!!! He hunts when the heard needs thinning or when he is hungry !!! Good man there ...
    When I have a rabbit in my garden I shoot it , eat it , and feed my dogs . Do you ?

Later , Boken
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  12. BUTCHER45

BUTCHER45 G&G Newbie

law-abiding White Man..

Objection: Argumentative!! LOL!

I wasn't trying to start an argument with you so please cool your jets a bit.

Had I known you were native (how would I know that?) I wouldn't have said anything to you about it. I was directing the legality thing towards those who follow game laws in this country. If that doesn't apply to you, then disregard it.
    Most people here are not native, so I wouldn't want them to think it is legal to hunt blacktail deer with an air rifle when they are thinking of buying one for that purpose.

I think that shooting a buffalo with a 909 is a stunt. That is all I was trying to get across. No "dribble" here.

You shot a 300lb Blacktail? That had to be a benchleg, correct? That is one HUGE blacktail!! And yes I know several people that have killed deer with a .22; just put a hole in both lungs and they are going to die. Or shoot it in the eye just like that Native American woman who shot the former world record Grizzly with a .22 did.

Wasn't trying to tell you what to do in any way; just putting out some information. I was sharing my thoughts and experience pertaining to scopes, not handing out orders. Rangefinding is unnecessary out to 50-60 yards with the trajectory of a good tuned 909 sighted-in at 50 yards, and three power on a scope may still be pretty tough to use in the thickest of stuff when the action is fast.

This will be the next scope to go on my 909.

Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SII Series - Big Sky - SIIB 1.25-5x20

Though I will tell you that knowing you use your riflescope to glass terrain isn't exactly music to my ears. A scope is an instrument for taking aim, not glassing the land. They make binoculars for that.

Not going to lie to you (why would I?). I am hunting coyote because it is the most challenging/exciting hunt I can think of that is legal for me to hunt with my air rifle in Oregon (I obey game laws as a personal choice).
    No I'm not going to eat coyote, though I am restricting my hunting of them to the winter time when their pelts are prime. I will remove problem animals from properties through-out the year if asked to by the land-owneres. Bobacats: I can't wait to try eating one of those. Everyone says they taste very good, and I want to make some nice gloves for myself.

The National Forest I was hunting is the most shot-up National Forest around, completely over-run with hunters during the big game season, and the deer population gets pounded pretty hard. The coyote hunting there is the most challenging situation to hunt coyote in that I can imagine due to the intense hunting pressure there. The deer population there needs all the help it can get. I figure for each coyote I take out of there, I am saving MANY deer. Not my primary reason for hunting them mind you; just a benefit that results from it.

Nutria meat goes to the dogs, the hides will be used, and even the teeth will be used to make jewelry with. I bet the skulls are decorative as well so I am going to get some dermasted (sp?) beetles to clean them.

Nutria are non-native/destructive (much like the White ManLOL just a joke), and need to be taken out on sight around here. I would kill every one I see even if I had no use for them (which I do).
    I'll eat them when taken from the cleaner waters, as I understand they are very good eating. Accidentally perforated the intestines of the last one I was skinning, and gave up on it pretty quick after that. What a stench!

You talk of Ted Nugent hunting his property whenever he wants. Isn't his property a high fence game ranch? There are no seasons or bag limits on game ranches for non-native game.

I have a great respect for the Native American, but I have to tell you I was born on this land, and have never been elsewhere. It's just as much mine as it is yours. As for your comments on whites, I believe there is a word for painting a race of people with the same brush.

Visitor my ass.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  13. BUTCHER45

BUTCHER45 G&G Newbie

The boar....

Oh yeah the wild boar! Still have a whole shoulder roast, and most of a hindquarter left. Going to use it up with a bunch of friends real soon, as some of the greatest satisfaction comes from feeding wild game to friends that never eat wild anything.

We smoke it on the grill using a couple different types of wood chips in the charcoal, and a brownie-type pan in the middle. Smoke it slow and low for 12+ hours. Regularly attended and battered throughout the day to avoid drying. At these times, apple juice is poured onto the wild pork, which deposits in the pan underneath. The lid is put back on, and the apple juice in the pan steams up, and is absorbed by the pork. Fills you up real good.

The looks on friends faces when the flavor hits the taste buds, and the satisfaction of a quality meal settles in when finished eating is a big finale of the whole hunting experience IN MY OPINION.

I shot this corsican ram at a high fenced place in Oklahoma to test the abilities of my rifle for myself to confirm what I was told of it's ability to take game. A whole lot of guys just take the heads to mount and leave the carcass, often to rot. They think they taste like old socks.

Not me. They must not know how to prepare it properly because those Ramburgers and steak cuts were very very good! A lot of guys that have tried ram meat just do not beleive me.

Ramburger has no fat, and does not shrink when cooking as you can see here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

All I can say is Yum

-------------

All I can say is Yummy !!!!
    As far as Natives here in America , we were here first , your still visiting to me . No biggy , it's just how I see it . You have your opinion and I respect you for it too by the way . We just dont see I eye to eye . that's the issue here is I dont feel I owne the land , I use it, rent it , borrow it , you folks actualy think its yours . I was here first , so its mine first if that's how you want to look at what your relatives did to our Nation . Hitler tried that too , same as whitey here , only reason we lost ( temporalilly , we are taking your money now at the Casinos ) is because we were out numbered . I am Seminol, I never surrendered , so its still on as far as I am concerened and its still OUR Land, not yours , we were here first .
    I wouldn't have mentioned taking Black Tail out if I couldn't do it on the Res here , okeedokee .
    I do get on a rant dont I ? !!! LOL !!!! Hee hee , just spirited I guess ...
    I also know you were not trying to start anything , I wasn't either , were just both mouthy obviously . You see it how you seeit and I see it how I see it. Isn't my America grand that way .
    I have heard the same thing about Lynx and Bob Kitties too that you have . I would be hard pressed to kill one for any reason though , unelss it was eating children or my livestock ? Which is highly unlikely anway . They are not pests, nor did they encroach us , it is the other way around and we need to respect them . I suppose if I ever got attacked ( highly unlikely again ) I would kill it gladly and eat it, use it . You bet . But on purpose kill one ? Never ...
    I stalk hunt anyway, I don't have time for binoculars ...I dont carry anything but my gun , the rest is a waiste of time and space and weight .
    Pretty puny scope your planning , probably will work for what you like to use them for though . I only use see-thru mounts, so your point is pretty MUTE about range . My game never sees me, ever , they can be 10 yards away if they want , and a 3x9 is just fine for that .
    I lived on Orcas Island for 15 years and only hutned my buddies property and we culled the heard for 15 years . They were and are very big deer on it . That's what good game managment and land will get you without BIG BROTHER looking down your back , with the proper attituded people ..

Good luck with your hunting man, aprreciate your veiws , certainly do . At least your a real hunter and a very accomplished one too , that's very cool in my eyes . Even if your white , just kidding, just can't help myself , I like to have fun . I would certainly sit down and break bread with ya , no doubt about it ...

Sincerely, Boken
  15. binfordw

binfordw G&G Newbie

Butcher45,

Hats off to you for responding to pathetically obvious hate and racism with such a cool head and polite manner. You must be a real class act.

I'm at a loss for words really, I haven't heard someone be so openly disgusting towards others in quite a while. I think I'll leave it as that, although Im a horrible, hitler-like "white" man, I'm still above putting someone down for their race/heritage.
  16. BUTCHER45

BUTCHER45 G&G Newbie

Agreed....

That's all good. You are very fortunate to be able to hunt Blacktail deer on the reservation. I can't wait to hunt them here in my home state.

I wouldn't consider myself an accomplished hunter by any stretch. I just started coyote hunting (just a couple of times so far with no luck), and just got into hunting in general about a year and a half ago. Only now am I really getting serious about it with the predator calling.

Good to see another guy like me that can agree to dis-agree, and is mouthy with thick skin (no matter what amount of pigment is has).

Yea the scope I want is very compact. The best thing about it is the humongous field of view when set a 1.5X might even be able to take shots with both eyes open with it. A lot of the hunting I'll be using it for is in very thick woods with 50 yards being a pretty long shot.

Here is the ram I shot with the tuned 909. The deer processor was literally flabbergasted to hear I had used an air rifle to kill it. He said it looked as though it had been shot with a 30-06, when in fact I used a 255grain .454 RNFP with a .32 meplat. I really like what the bigger flat point slugs do to big game. That is the exit wound shown in the picture.

I use a smaller flat when coyote hunting in hopes it won't hurt the hide.

[​IMG]
  17. BUTCHER45

BUTCHER45 G&G Newbie

There is a guy on another forum that goes by WalkOnKing, that has a great quote in his signature.

"How you REACT to people says more about YOU then it does about THEM"
  18. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

That's a good one BinfordW

-------------

That's a good one BinfordW , your obviousluy out of touch with reality today , or everyday ? You choose .
    I am not racist , I am pridefull of who I am and know my history .
    Calling me pathetic and hatefull and a racist too , is exactly what your giving a hats off to to Butcher for not being ??? Your a hypocrit at best , and a cocky one too . I have always thought you to be a know it all anyway , so continue your show , its rather humorous to watch the hypocracy spew out your mouth . Break bread with you ? Never .
    Last time I checked its America , free speech , free thinking . Not in BinfordfW's world , everybody must be like you and be pollitically correct and shoot Thoebens . How boring that would be , to me .
    Your a wealth of knowledge that's for sure , but your the definition of a hypocrit for sure . Isn't my America grand ..Boken.:hitwithrock:BinfordW
  19. tfd309

tfd309 G&G Newbie

Not an accomplished Hunter ???

-------------

Not an accomplished Hunter , are you for real Butcher !!!! Your kidding me I hope ??? If you have done all you have shown in the pics in that short time period , you make most mens and womans entire hunting carreers look very small my friend . You can obviously read the woods not just walk in them . That's an art , and you have it in your blood somewhere just like a good old Bloodhound dog . You have a gift for sure . Most don't .
    Its good to be humble about your skills Butcher , but you are an accomplished Hunter , trust me .

I also like the bigger flatter bullets too , ironically like you do . I really like Keith Hard Cast style the best for big animals when I am not using small calibers that is . I shoot allot of .45 Long Colt stuff in my conversion BP revolvers, they do enormous amounts of painfull damage to bones . Gotta love em .

Keep up the good work Butcher . And thanks for not getting unglued about my posts . Everyone is entitled to thier opinions , even if they are wrong .

Cheers, Boken
  20. BUTCHER45

BUTCHER45 G&G Newbie

Look for a PM.

So you like Keith style slugs, huh? Me too. I like the terminal ballistics I see from the Lee 452252SWC with big ol' .36 meplats out of my tuned 2tube 909 going around 670+fps. This is a 575 page report on it's effects.

[​IMG]