Savage 11/111 vs Tikka T3 (.243 caliber)

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by lacelongjohns, May 6, 2012.

1. lacelongjohns

lacelongjohns G&G Newbie

Looking at a new rifle, and wondering on opinions of the new Savage 11/111 ladies series, accutrigger, walnut stock etc vs the Tikka T3 in .243 calibers. Have had both reccomended. Thinking on getting other opinions. Wanting something comfortable to shoot and that will last forever. All around type rifle. Any and all opinions welcome!
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Welcome

lacelongjohns: Ma'am, Welcome from NC
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The upward saga of Savage

When I was young Savage firearms were for people who could not afford a real gun.

Now Savage has moved well into the quality manufacturing group.

However, the Tikka has a Sako barrel and that tips the decision in favor of Tikka - at least for me. Sako might best be thought of as at or at least very near the top of quality manufacturers.
  4. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

If you plan on putting aftermarket components like different stock, barrel, trigger etc. Go with the savage. If you want out of the box, add a scope and go. Tikka all the way.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Both are capable of good accuracy and will last a lifetime (or more) for most shooters. The Tikka is a visually more appealing rifle to me. Weatherby Vanguard, Howa, Marlin, Remington,, etc have real good entry level firearms that are great values as well.
  6. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I like Savage rifles and have owned a few centerfires made by them. I currently have 3 Savage rimfires. They are great guns.

But, I use a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 for my coyote rifle and it's a great gun. I would recommend it over the Savage.
  7. TikkaTakDriver

TikkaTakDriver G&G Newbie

I myself would like to suggest the Tikka:). SS and laminate. Nothing bad to say about them.
  8. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

dont know much about the tikki's

but i love my 111 it was a package deal other then putting different glass on it it might be the nice's factory rifle i own. and the 3x-9x40 bushy that was on it there were no problems just wanted bigger optics that scope found a home on a 22lr .
  9. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I own both Savage and Tikka rifles in the same caliber. both are fine firearms. this is a hard call for me. but if I had to give up one of them, I would absolutely keep the Tikka.

This one was tough because I really like my Savage rifles.

both are excellent from an accuracy standpoint. the Tikka has less weight, a better feel to me when shouldering it, and a smoother action. that's the main reasons I called it the way I did.
  10. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

I have a Tikka T3 lite and it is an awesome shooter. The action is so smooth, I find myself checking to see if a round has actually chambered. Trigger is crisp and can easily be adjusted down to 2.5.. unscoped rifle weighs around 6.5 lbs.

The stock is molded plastic, but much better than any other tupperware stock I have seen out there. If you decide on an after market stock B&C makes one for the Tikka Bell & Carlson Tikka T3 Lite Hunter Stock with Full Length Aluminum Block

The factory stock worked perfect on mine (no stringing due to heat).
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  11. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

The 243 is a great caliber. My favorite for whitetails and coyotes.

I'm with Roggom on this one can't beat the trigger and smoothness of the action on the Tikka's and Sako's. I have worked the actions on guns that cost 4 times as much as the high end Tikka's and some of them didn't even hold a lite to them.

I own a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite 300 Win Mag. I had to order mine and waited 3 months for it. The whole time i was thinking i sure hope this is worth it. I sure was! There is no problem with accuracy at all .5 MOA with bullets ranging from 110-180 gr. at 100 yards. and even with such a light gun it doesn't recoil that bad. I have heard many guys talk about how bad the recoil is on Savage rifles even though they are a relatively heavy gun. It all comes down to stock design.

My obvious choice of the two is the Tikka. You won't regret it I promise.
  12. gamehunter

gamehunter G&G Enthusiast

Marlin XS7 stainless or blued with a scope of your choice would be my thought, Savage are good and so is the tikka but I just find the marlin way nicer to shoot and I own one I have shot savages and tikkas before while they are nice to shoot I just keep going for the marlin every time :) the only other rifle I would reach for if I had one is the ruger m77 hawkeye

If you do buy a tikka T3 in the lightweight model I would strongly advise that you buy an aftermarket prefitted butt pad to replace the one that comes with it as that is a thin bit of rubber over 3 inches of plastic which can make it unpleasant to shoot especially in the big calibers which is one complaint people over here have with them is the butt pad
  13. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

I own both, a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 that's a great shooter and probably the more nimble, handy gun in the deer woods. Also have several Savages, one in stainless synthetic (model 16) .243. The first time at the range, right out of the box and with just mediocre glass, grouped three shots in .643" center to center - at 200 yards! Couldn't quite believe it so dialed it in to another zero and got .85" 3 shot group that time. Standard 100 gr. factory ammo, Remmy as I recall. My Tikka in .270 is a great shooter but I'd go through a heck of a lot of boxes of factory .270 ammo before I ever approached the Savage accuracy of the .243. Granted, somewhat apples and oranges but not really that dissimilar. Bottom line: when I go shooting whitetails I take the Tikka, but if I want to mangle quarters with three shots the Savage is the date for that dance. Either will make you a happy hunter/shooter.