Savage 340 Series E 22 hornet

Discussion in 'Savage' started by Hightekrednek, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Hightekrednek

Hightekrednek G&G Newbie

I picked one of these up at a gun show yesterday, I didn't know that they came in hornet. It's in great shape, except for the barrel. It has some light pitting in the riflings and I plan to replace it sometime, but I figure that can wait since as long as it will shoot minute-of-bobcat for this winter. I spent $230 on it, did I get taken? Please be honest with me, I don't really care, I just wanted it so I got it. The same gun in 222 is going for $340 on gunsAmerica.com, so I thought It was a decent price. Does anyone know of a place to get a barrel for it? Numrich is out of stock. Thanks!
  2. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

you did good !!!!!!!!!! i picked 1 up for my son in 30/30... he has used that thing on high power sils.... it a shooter.
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

They sure look good to me. I would like to have one in one of the higher power centerfires. If you wanted it really bad and you are happy with it you done good.
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You lucky bloke! I've been looking for a 340 in .22 Hornet myself. I have the .30-30 too, but would like a 'little brother' for it. When I find them, they go for upwards of four bills!
  5. MountaineerWVa

MountaineerWVa G&G Newbie

You say it's a 340E,.What kind of stock does it have?
    My dad has a 340 D in 222,and also a 340 C in 30-30 (both pretty old guns),and the 340 D has a way fancier stock.
    At least Savages are easy to re-barrel yourself..I think Midway sells some barrels for savages,
    I don't think you will really be getting burnt ,but by the time you get a new barrel you'll have close to what it's worth in it....Good Luck
  6. Hightekrednek

Hightekrednek G&G Newbie

It just has a nice clean walnut stock with pressed checkering, nothing fancy.
  7. MountaineerWVa

MountaineerWVa G&G Newbie

Thanks,..I looked at Midway while a go,and they have all kinds of 110 barrels but no 340 barrels..I think the are probaly hard to get,I bet the thing still shoots fine the way it is after it's had a few shots fired through it .Just don't clean it any more than nessecary .A dirty barrel will out shoot a clean barrel..You probally already knew that though.
  8. Paul340F

Paul340F G&G Newbie

Hello All, I recommend NUMRICH GUN PARTS CORP., www.gunpartscorp.com
    This is an endless supply of ALL OLD/Factory closeout parts ! I have Bought parts foy my 2( yes @) SAVAGE 340's there for 15 years. The catalog is about 3 inches thick. If it was manufactured it is there, 99.8% of the time.
    You can also contact DOUGLAS BARRELS, Like I have for a custom barrel, in REMINGTON'S .221 Fireball. shipped my bare action, and bolt, they fitted a barrel, and WOW. What a shooter, now I need a better scope mount, for a larger scope !
    Paul
  9. Paul340F

Paul340F G&G Newbie

RedNek,
    Look into Moly coated bullets.! ? I have a 340D that was in in .222, old gun my mom bought back on the ranch. It shot badly, and low velocity, bullet groups a fisherman would brag about.. it was TtHhIiSs BIG. . .
    I used Moly coated bullets, and groups tightened up, and velocity increased ! Checked with a chronograph !
    Also, look at www.auctionarms.com
    or gunbroker.com to see how the average is, and see how well you did for yourself.
    Enjoy your toy, Paul
  10. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

This post is a year and a half old recon the original poster even has the gun any more.
    Steve
  11. Paul340F

Paul340F G&G Newbie

Never hurts to post anyway,get the info out there right ?
  12. Hightekrednek

Hightekrednek G&G Newbie

Yeah I still have it. I haven't seen a barrel yet, but I'm on the lookout. I figure I'll get one eventually and get it fixed up. Im glad I got it anyways, because I haven't seen another one since and even if I have a barrel made it will still be a novel little gun.
  13. FW!!

FW!! G&G Newbie

I have one, picked it up last year. $225. Goes very good with my 30/30