Savage 7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Savage' started by N2914J, Apr 15, 2006.

1. N2914J

N2914J G&G Newbie

I've recently aqquired a Savage 7mm Rem. Magnum, and I was just wondering how many of you folks own this rifle, or one in the same caliber. Apparently its a good rifle, and it has the legs to do some longrange work if I ever go out west. Here's a picture of mine. Its a little blurry, but the other one I have is even worse. You can make out the basics;

[​IMG]
  2. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

The 7mm is a very versatile caliber from Whitetail to Caribou and has a better clean shot capability. I love my 7mm WSM. Fusions or Power points clock in at 3100 FPS and and has a knock down of 1650 ft lbs @ 500 yards. Savage makes a fine rifle, for more info www.net rifle.com
  3. coyote man

coyote man G&G Newbie

ive just decided to go out and buy a 7mm rem mag from walmart. the rounds for it can become expensive but with its not a machine gun so dont worry abaut going broke. This gun is a pretty good all around gun because it can take down abaut any game in america.

Category: Firearm/Gun Type: Rifle Action: Bolt Manufacturer: Savage Arms Caliber Gauge: 7mm Rem Mag Model: 111FCXP3 Gun/Scope Package Finish: Blue Stock or Grips: Black Synthetic Barrel Length: 22 Overall Length: 42.75 Weight: 6.5 Capacity: 4+1 Safety Features: 3 Position Top Tang Drilled and Tapped: Yes Rate of Twist: 1-in-9.5 Additional Feature 1: Sling Included Additional Feature 2: 3-9X40mm Scope Mounted & Bore-Sighted Model No.:N/AShipping Weight (in pounds):9.0Product in Inches (L x W x H):42.75 x 0.0 x 0.0Assembled in Country of Origin:USAOrigin of Components:USA

[​IMG]
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Their a nice rifle and the 7mm mag is a tried and true cartridge.Glad you got it.I would sugest upgrading the bases to one piece and better rings.I can't tell much about the scope but if it works thats great.Congratulations.Also,be sure the barrel is freefloating.(you should be able to slide a dollar bill from the front of the forearm down to the action). sam.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well proven cartridge that has a good base of

consumer support matched with a very good quality rifle.

As a bit of advice - if you do not have one already then get a higher quality scope as this cartridge/rifle combo deserves it to give you the performance level it can achieve.

Many times this level of rifle/cartridge potential is sunk by lesser quality optics.
  6. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Nothing wrong with Savage, at all, they certainly won't win any beauty contests, but they will put meat in the freezer just as well as any other rifle. They are pretty dang accurate too!
  7. sthrnfryedyanke

sthrnfryedyanke G&G Newbie

I own 1 the 110 gxp3 in the 7mag and I LOVE it . She shoots great and is my primary hunting rifle. She did get a makeover though. Mine has the blind magazine though. Mine eats X-bullets like copper and spits them out like gold!
  8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Or it could be "some one" knew more about guns than you thought he did. The 7mm mag cartridge will do great on anything from woodchucks to moose if you have the right loads. sam.
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I agree with Sam, and if there was something wrong with your particular rifle LBTG, why would you sell it without saying so ??
  10. livebythegun

livebythegun Suspended

Oh yeah I'm sure alot of people hunt woodchucks with a 7mm mag.:no1:
  11. joe90

joe90 G&G Newbie

The 308 is a little less that 7mm mag and I know I will be using mine for groundhogs and i have heard of many others using it. I don't see why you couldn't use the 7mm mag for groundhogs. and i'm sure there are a handful or more that do. or is this just my faulty reasoning?
  12. Midas

Doesn't get much more uninformed than this, ever had a Savage apart? they are no cheaper on the inside than a Remington! I could care less about the looks of a rifle, if it is functional, and is accurate enough for hunting purposes, I will use it. Granted, I shoot "classier" rifles as well, but I get tired of snobs knocking Savage, when they haven't a clue. As for the 7mm Mag, it is a superb deer rifle, better than the 30-06 IMHO and there is absolutely no such thing as overkill, most of the folks who use that word complain about the recoil that their .270 dishes out :smirk:
  13. Midas

Not faulty reasoning at all, some folks just like to complain.
  14. soulracer

soulracer G&G Newbie

I bought a Savage recently myself..I guess I do not really know rifles, because I like the rifle. The fit and finish seem fine to me..The action seems a little tight right now, but I assume that is because it is new. As far as it being/looking cheap..I don't see that at all. My rifle resembles the one pictured above, just in .308 instead. Maybe I am the "weirdo" here, because I like the look..It looks more "Tactical" to me than the old wood stocked rifles. Those rifles look like old cowboy rifles and I am no cowboy..I like the synthetic stock and black finish on everything..
    As far as accuracy goes I'll have to get back to you when I have put more than 50 rounds through it..but, so far I'd say it is a much better shooter than I..groups under 1" are easily forseeable..and that has been with "el cheapo" ammo.
  15. joe90

joe90 G&G Newbie

Your talking about others jumping all over when someone disagrees but you did just that a couple post up talking about hunting groundhogs with a 7mm mag. If someone wants to use it let them. and i'm sure there are others who do to. And I dont have any experience with savage but i have a little with remington and I love them. And the Military uses them too. I'm sorry but they aren't gonna go handing USMC snipers POS rifles. again... thats just my opinion.
  16. joe90

joe90 G&G Newbie

yeah but not everyone here has more than one rifle or has the money to get two so if your talking about the range of what you can take with the 7mm mag. wood chucks would be on there. might not be the best thing for the job. but it can do it pretty well non the less.
  17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have hunted woodchucks with a 7mm mag every since the 70,s when I first owned one.I have also used a .416rem and .458win. and on ocasion a 12ga with both 3"mag slugs and buck.The largest in cal.handgun I have used was a .454cas.but the most powerful was a T/C contender in .308win.Also,I have often used a .50/.54cal muzzle loader.All of them seemed to have plenty of power and I cant remember any that didn't accomplish 100% penetration.If you can think of a large bore that may do better please state your experience and findings and maybe I will try one,altho I really believe I have a handle on woodchuck hunting.I cant remember any survivors except a couple I missed. sam.
  18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Look who I am dealing with.There are lots of members that can't post pictures,are they all liars? sam.
  19. Midas

It's ok sam, we can never be as half talented as LBTG, because we shoot those darned Savage and Remington rifles :D I don't know how I ever harvested an animal with those rifles.
  20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Maybe if we explained how the bolt works on one he would buy one too. sam.