Savage Axis .223

Discussion in 'Savage' started by JAMES, May 17, 2011.

1. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

There I was in Walmart Sunday afternoon, minding my own business. Dutifully picking up motor oil, socks, and a pair of Wranglers for my son...all of a sudden, the floor starts to tilting and I find myself sliding, unable to regain control of my path. Heels dug in to no avail...sporting goods coming at me like a train. Unable to stop the slide, I slammed into that gun case head first...the case burst open and a Savage flipped out of there and into my lap. Axis...? What the heck is an Axis? Sorta ugly looking, but Savage makes accurate rifles...and the price was falling.

Well, the guy at the counter said that I could either leave the store now or buy that Axis. It was chambered in .223. Can always use one of those...why not.

Dug a set of rings and a BSA scope out of the cabinet and stuck them on there. Heavy trigger pull, but very crisp break. 14" pull...???? Who's idea was that, you Savage beast? May have to consider a replacement butt pad in place of that .338 Win Mag size recoil pad on there. Took off to the pasture yesterday evening. Laid that thing across the hood of the truck and dialed the scope onto the bull. BSA scope seems to get a bit squirrelly when it gets down to the fine tuning stage. Anyway, was getting dark quick, so I cranked out 4 more rounds. Very odd group. Two holes all but touching in the bull and two holes in exactly the same attitude and all but touching 3/4" to the left and high. 4 Shot group was 1.1" overall at 100 yards. I hope that a good part of that was me and the truck hood bench, but still acceptable. Also hope that BSA scope is not getting flakey from the recoil of a .223. :eek5: Maybe with a bit of break in on the barrel and a good bench rest, she will shoot like a Savage.

Back at the house, I took a few pounds off that trigger and gave her a good cleaning. Cannot wait to get back out there and give it another go. Not a bad rifle. Actually, a real good rifle for the price. Anyone have similar observations?

Didn't mean to insult the looks of the Savage Axis. The rifle is fine, especially that matt black finish (vice the gloss bluing). Just need to get used to that Luke Skywalker looking stock. Wish Savage had just stuck with a traditional classic stock design like the one on the Stevens.
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. H-BAR

H-BAR G&G Newbie

i'd blame it on the scope.... i have no love for BSA scopes.... i've seen one crack in half on a .300 WM..... not that your .223 will, but still!!!!!!!! lol
  3. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

I'm thinking you are right...wouldn't do any good to argue with a crusty, old CWO4 anyhow, would it! Semper Fi.
    I was rushing, trying to beat the sunset, but I have this feeling that the reticle was shifting gradually to the right every couple of rounds...we'll see, next time out perhaps. I was firing pairs of rounds while dialing it in. A couple of those pairs looked mighty pretty, with the similar all but touching pattern. Could be this budget Savage shoots real good and just needs a good scope to go with it.
  4. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I just had to go and read this. I've been wavering back and forth on getting one of these for months. This isn't helping!
  5. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

I have no regrets. Beginning to get used to that stock...sorta...and maybe even the name "Axis" eventually. Very happy with the rifle itself, though. Long action for a rifle chambered in .223, but it cycles nicely. If the bolt is opened gently, the fired casing dribbles off the bolt face and onto the mag. Not a big problem. When worked normally, the case is tossed lightly out to the right rear.
  6. FamilyProtector

FamilyProtector G&G Newbie

I got one of those a few months ago. I ended up getting a new scope for it. Great rifle for my first centerfire rifle, and in 223 i can afford to practice a ton!

Have fun!
  7. hemingway89

hemingway89 G&G Enthusiast

i got one two and its a fun gun to have i had a bipod on it but i cant seem to find the adapter to hold in place so ill have to go with out. im going to get a 6x18x 50 bushnell from my uncle for cheap but they have the same one at wallmart for 140.
  8. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Keep us updated on the next time you take it out. I also have been pondering the idea of getting one. I would like to know if the groups tightened up. Thanks
  9. TomAnsley

TomAnsley G&G Newbie

After adding a 3lb trigger and a good scope I am able to get sub .5 groups with my 22-250.I really like this rifle-Easy to cary and easy to handle.I think the edge/axis is using the same barrel as on the upper end Savage rifles.Those groups should tighten up.
  10. Blackrock

Blackrock G&G Enthusiast

Bought one a month ago and have been dialing it in. I put a 3x9 Bushnell I had laying around (know why now) with not too impressive results. Switched to a Simmons 6.5x20x50 I had on another rifle and it's now performing real well with 55g Hornadys and 23.0g of H335.

That trigger was a beast untill I found some online stuff about working it over. Now it's a crisp 3# or so.

Shooting it side by side with my daughters Thompson Center Venture this morning and it looks as iff I will need to custom tailor ammo for each rifle. The Axis has a tighter chamber than the Venture so brass will need to be kept segregated.

But all said not bad shooters for a couple of oddball little rifles. South Dakota here we come.
  11. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

2nd Range Report...not much to offer, unfortunately.

The cheap scope on the cheap rifle isn't working this time. This BSA 3x9 scope is a piece of junk. I fired off one 20-round box of old Remington 55gr MC from prone before throwing in the towel. Conditions were not the best; winds 10-20mph, but I was able to get it almost directly at my back. Not a problem.

The rifle is fine. It made a couple of sub MOA 3-round groups before the scope reticle would shift the point of impact somewhere else. Puts a few rounds together and then puts the next few in a new group an inch or so away from the prior group. Reticle tends to creap to the right. Saves time pasting up the target!
  12. hemingway89

shitty i guess i better get a decent scope before i take it out
  13. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

I have not been shooting much of anything for a good while, so this afternoon I dug through some of my stuff. When you get older, opportunities of this sort are like Christmas. Found several things I didn't know I had. One of those was a Simmons 8-Point 3x9 NIB.

Let the Battle of the Cheap Scopes begin! Well, actually the fight was already over...the BSA lost. Anyhow, I digress. Off with the BSA, on with the Simmons. Back to the pasture. One of the goofiest zero attempts ever (very interesting (erratic) adjustments on this Simmons), but it made it to the right spot (centered and 1 1/2" high) after 17 rounds down range. Fired 3 more rounds and got a 5/8" group at 100 yards (although, it was 2" high, instead of 1 1/2" high...hmmm). Much better; but, I need to put another 20 rounds or so down range to see if the zero is going to hold.

Two minor notes on the Savage Axis:
    *The one I bought had scope mounts already installed. Thought that was a nice touch. When I got it home, I found that the front mount was loose. The two screws were tight, so I backed them out. Had to chase the threads on those and reinstall the mount.
    *After mounting both of these scopes, the first round down range was a good foot low at 50 yards, so the receiver/mounts are a bit off. Not enough to be terribly concerned about and certainly can be taken up at the scope. Windage was pretty close on both; good alignment there.

Still pleased with the rifle. 60 rounds down range and looking good.
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  14. SD shooter

SD shooter G&G Regular

I got my Axis in Feb for a B-day gift. It was cold, snowy, windy and rainy for quite awhile. Finally got it tuned in fairly close with a cheap wally bi-pod and cheap varmit scope. Spent close to 12 hours prairie rat hunting last weekend and had a blast. The rifle worked great. When shooting prone, it would not always throw the case out, I think that was as mentioned before and not pulling the bolt back very "smartly" I haven't done anything to the trigger, but all my other rifles are mil surplus and this feels nice to me. Great rifle for the money, good rifle period.
  15. hemingway89

glad to hear it man im waiting to put mine in action i need a piece for my bi pod or i got to get another one. all i have is a 3x9x50 tasco but i need to get a rail so i dont have to lean into that thing
  16. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

No new range reports to provide, but I did grab the Axis out of the case night before last. Still like the rifle; still don't like the stock. Pulled it into the shoulder...not comfortable with that 14" pull...SO, I CUT THAT MAGNUM SIZED RECOIL PAD DOWN TO WHERE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANYHOW. Now, she has a flat 1/4" butt pad and a 13 1/2" pull. Perfect!

You fine gents at Savage taking notes? Give this rifle a stock with a 1/4" butt pad/plate (13 1/2" pull) and a wrist that does not flex when the trigger is squeezed, and you'll have a true winner. A more positive ejector would be nice too, but not a big deal.

Gotta find time to put some more rounds down range.