Savage Model 6 info

Discussion in 'Savage' started by robertscheib, May 23, 2007.

1. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

Does anyone know where I could find a exploded view/diagram and parts list for a "vintage" Savage Model 6 .22 semi-auto rifle? Rifle in question is the "Ranger 101.16" version as sold by Sears and Roebuck??
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Google up the Numrich site (e-gunparts.com) and check out the Savage/Stevens/Springfield Model 87/187/987 - these are the same basic guns, same actions - some minor differences in the different models.
  3. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

Thanks BigDog - I found the Numrich site earlier and ordered a copy of their e-mailed PDF format diagram/parts list. Looks like they have everything we need to get this old rifle shooting again!!
  4. Big Dog

Excellent! I love my old Springfield M87A - as old as it is, it is rock-solid dependable and outshoots my much newer .22LR rifles. I think Numrich bought up all the parts stocks when these guns were discontinued.

And a Big Welcome to the G&G fraternity!
  5. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

FWIW
    Received an excellent Savage 6A etc "exploded diagram", parts and accessory list via e-mailed PDF format from Numrich this morning - it cost a WHOPPING $1.95!!!! obviously money well spent.
    I know this is probably a long shot, but - would anyone know where to find "take down" and service instructions for these rifles?
  6. Big Dog

The best I've found is the Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly - Part III Rimfire Rifles by J. B. Wood.

It has complete breakdown and reassembly instructions and the various little 'tips' often overlooked by more 'official' instructions. For a Rimfire collector, it's an invaluable resource.

On pages 363 to 369, it has the instructions for the Sears Model 25 - again the same basic action as the Savage/Stevens/Springfield rifles. It goes further than necessary for essential cleaning, but is very good if you need to work on it and replace parts.
    I bought this series of books at the local gunshow, but it should be available from Amazon.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  7. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

Big Dog
    Ordered up a copy of the "Part 3" J B Wood book, also was able to order all parts needed to repair/restore our old rifle from Numrich Gunparts. Have been trying to establish "vintage" date for the rifle - family can trace ownership back to at least early 1940's.
  8. Big Dog

Excellent - love it when a plan comes together! Some companies, like Marlin and Remington, make it a whole lot easier to date their rifles. Savage/Stevens/Springfield weren't so forward thinking.
  9. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

FWIW Update

Update - FWIW to others searching for "old gun" parts: I've had a very pleasant parts buying experience with Numrich Gun Parts. Can't believe they had ALL of the parts available to get this old 1940's vintage .22 back in operation! One short backorder wait for a couple "mag tube" items, and prompt hassle free replacement of a out of spec hammer spring - I'm very pleased.
    Discovered that original stock finish on this rifle was some form of sprayed on[?] shellac? De-natured alcohol dissolved the remnants easily - Birchwood Casey "Tru-Oil" is a near perfect color/texture match and will be much more durable and easy to maintain.
    I've enjoyed this resto project so much that I'm looking for a "vintage" .22 of my own!
  10. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

One more question?
    Owner of rifle in question has now asked me to find and fit a "vintage" scope to it; the rifle has tapped/plugged holes for a sidemount scope base, which I just sourced from Numrich.
    My Question - what would be a proper "vintage" scope for this pre-WW2 made rifle? IE What scope would have most likely been offered as an accessory for this in 1940?
    I'd sure appreciate any input here.
  11. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

Right here.Savage, Fox, Springfield & Stevens*|*6*|*e-GunParts.com
  12. Big Dog

Robert, check on ebay for rifle scopes. I've bought several old vintage Mossberg and Weaver scopes there - good prices with a decent seller. Often they offer the older steel tube scopes, in 3/4" and 7/8" diameter that were popular before they all standardized on the one inch tube.
    I don't know if these rifles ever had a particular brand of scope - I just go with something that 'looks right'.
    Get the mount, and see what tube size it requires.
    I love those old scopes - they generally have the fine crosshairs I like, instead of the newer 'duplex' style that isn't as good for precision shooting.
  13. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

Big Dog - once again I thank you for the information! Should have the scope mount/plate from Numrich early next week - I'll follow your "e-pay" suggestion!
  14. robertscheib

robertscheib G&G Newbie

FWIW - follow up:
    Got to shoot the 'ol girl this past weekend! It's a very accurate open sight shooter and was able to hit small "spinner" targets at 50/75 yards easily. Very cool old rifle!
    The look on owners face when he put first rounds through "grandpa's rifle" since restoration was priceless!
    Now I want one of my own!!
  15. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

I had a Weaver G4 on my 87 in 1947

DANA
  16. Big Dog

It's great to get them working again. A little TLC, and "Granpa's Old Rifle" shoots as well and often better than the new guns! :)