Gun and Game Forum banner

Savage Model 6

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tracer 
#1 · (Edited)
My neighbor's Dad left him an old Savage, I was over talkin the other day and volunteered to bring it home and clean it up.

I'd never seen this model, it's a neat piece, strips easily, works flawlessly now it's clean (it worked almost flawlessly FILTHY).

The slotted receiver is a trip, I fired it at late last night and it's disconcerting to see a fireball come out the left side of the gun.

I dont care for the safety, every gun Ive ever handled or shot was ''back is safe, forward is fire'' this gun is backwards! I could see a mistake waiting to happen, hard to untrain muscle memory.

It came factory D&Ted for a scope, but this gun's never had one on it.

Another neat feature of the Model 6, is that it will fire shorts, longs or long rifles...but to shoot longs and shorts, the bolt handle pushes in, making the gun a manual operated straightpull bolt action...pretty clever.

It is fairly accurate, plenty to kill any lil critter, I was getting half-dollar groups (with occasional pulled high flyers) at 20 yards standing supported. Thats 10 or 15 shot groups not 3.

All in all, I like it....I wouldnt say no to one if I found it for sale reasonable.
I enjoy handling and shooting new to me designs.

Also the first time I tried out the BreakFree CLP....I always used Hoppes #9 and RemOil. The CLP works well, I may switch for good.

That gun was so filthy that afterwards my table looked like I had rebuilt a small engine on it! Black crud and little bits everywhere.
I used Murphy Soap on the stock, it shined up nicely, all the surface rust on the barrel rubbed off..left a nice browned finish.

I didnt take any pics (I know I know) but it looks like all Savage 6 rifles. 15 shot tube-fed semiauto.

Savage Model 6 - Google Search

ETA*
One thing I DONT like is there is no last shot hold open on the bolt, so it gets dryfired. The firing pin looked great tho, no peening or anything. So I guess it's lasted for 40-60 years that way.

See less See more
#4 ·
i found one at a local pawn shop about 11 years ago. finish had turned brown, butt plate missing, chunk broken out ot the stocks toe.someday i will clean it up and try it out.:slaphappy:

#5 ·
i found one at a local pawn shop about 11 years ago. finish had turned brown, butt plate missing, chunk broken out ot the stocks toe.someday i will clean it up and try it out.:slaphappy:
Its a nice gun, you should shoot it for sure!

There are stocks out there for it, google Savage Model 6 stock. They were ''out of stock'' (no pun intended) right now, but cost 53$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.