Savage Springfield Model 187 M

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by woneala, Nov 22, 2009.

1. woneala

woneala G&G Newbie

I just got this Savage Springfield 187M at auction and it won't feed the shells into firing position, It seems the fireing pin is keeping the casing from getting in line to go into the barrel. Any Ideas as to the problem and what to do about it? Hope some one can help.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G!

Best thing to do first will be to remove the bolt from the rifle - on this later model, you may need to remove the barreled action from the receiver first.
    Then unscrew the receiver plug on the back of the receiver, pull the bolt assembly back til you can remove the cocking knob out to the right. Continue pulling the entire assembly out the rear. The firing pin rides in a slot in the bolt body. Make sure all is clean and clear of debris. The firing pin should move freely in the slot. Lightly oil and reassemble, taking care that the springs go in properly. See if it will feed now.
    There could be a problem with the cartridge lifter also. Numrich has all parts needed, if necessary.
  3. woneala

woneala G&G Newbie

Thanks Big Dog

I don't know if I would have the ability or tools to take it apart. I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying as I figure a gunsmith would charge more than the gun is worth. I printed off the parts list and availabity from the site you mentioned. Thanks
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The only tool needed for basic disassembly is a flat screwdriver, for the big screw beneath the stock. You don't need to be taking the trigger system apart or anything like that. The bolt assembly all slides right out once that rear plug is off - it simply unscrews. Just make sure you keep it all in line and can put it back the same way. An inspection of the parts may show the problem. Often just a good thorough cleaning and lubing gets a .22 rifle running again. And you get to know the gun.