SAVAGE - STEVENS Model 87A

Discussion in 'Savage' started by HillbillyChrome, Jun 22, 2011.

1. HillbillyChrome

HillbillyChrome G&G Newbie

Hello all! I'm new to the forums and I hope yall are having a fantastic day! I recently pulled out my old rifle which has been sitting in a closet since I was about 15 years old, my dad gave it to me but I don't think he knew much about it because he thought it was junk and was about to throw it out. Well I got it out & dusted it off, for the first time I went to see what kind it was, it's a Savage Arms - Stevens Model 87A, .22 LR,L,S....I'm not sure where he got it but you can tell it's had a rough life, neither him nor I have ever cleaned the thing but it has always shot fairly good for me, no jams whatsoever, it's the only rifle I own so I figured I'd clean it up. I took it apart and it was pretty nasty, so I cleaned the barrel real good and sprayed everything down with some brake clean and re-greased the parts that needed it, I plan to have the crown on the barrel re-done and whoever owned it before my family painted the barrel and did a very very poor job, didn't even tape off the stock...tisk tisk, lol, anyways I'm going to re-blue the barrel & what not, sand down the stock and refinish it.

I'll post some pictures of the "before" rifle and in the near future when I'm finished I'll be sure to post the "after" pics.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out with some info on this rifle, where I might find some parts, just general knowledge, also I already know that it was made somewhere around 1942-1945, then again I read somewhere else that it could be a early 50's model so I'm a bit confused, any info would be appreciated much!!
    The patent #'s are 224758, 2223093, RE22585, 2271576, so I know it cannot be made before 1942 as they didn't have the feed mechanism for a repeating fire-arm (semi-auto) before then, well thats about all I have for now, hope to talk to yall soon, have a great day!!

Attached Files:

2. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Welcome to Gun and Game! I'll let others chime in with potential parts sources but they are interesting rifles. Being able to lock the bolt closed for a single shot may make these somewhat unique for semi auto .22's. Don't use it as a semi auto with anything but Long Rifle cartridges.
  3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. WeldonHunter

WeldonHunter G&G Newbie

Numrich lists some parts for the 87A here, Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories If it turns out to be something other than an A here's the whole list of 87 models, Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Neat gun. Look forward to seeing the finished product. I'm in the process of refinishing a Stevens/Savage Model 311 Series H side by side double barrel 12Ga. that sat I left at my uncles place for 18 years. It was in the basement and was water damaged along with 4 other guns.
  5. HillbillyChrome

Hey yall, thanks for the great support!! I did read online that you cannot use semi-auto mode with the short & long ammo, only the long-rifle, but I only plan on using the long-rifle anyways so it doesn't bother me, plus I hear a lot of people have trouble with their rifles jamming unless they use the long rifle ammunition, and I'm 100% sure its a 87A, BTW Weldon, that model 311 double barrel sounds like a sweet weapon! I originally intended on only cleaning my rifle up to where it would operate as it should, but when me & my girlfriends papaw broke it down & started cleaning it up he told me it was in better shape than I thought, because I thought the barrel would be pitted & rusted but luckily it was not, and he has a couple of very expensive .22's that have custom work done to them with really nice paint jobs on them and he mentioned I could do my rifle like his with the paint & what not, though I don't believe I'll put one of them fancy barrels on it, and I probably won't paint it a fancy color, I think I'll either stain the wood and clear coat it or I might just leave it the natural finish after I sand the blemishes out of it and get it nice & smooth, depends on how much I like the natural finish of the wood, either way it goes I plan to make it look brand new!! I don't understand it all yet, but I love the trigger mechanism in this rifle, and pretty much everything else about it!! Thanks yall again, its greatly appreciated!! Talk to ya soon. ;)
  6. WeldonHunter

WeldonHunter G&G Newbie

Yeah it is a really nice gun. It had a broken stock, lots of rust and one of the hammers is broken. I got what I needed from Numrich and the stuff I got looks good although the checkered stock was no longer available I got a real nice walnut replacement.
    I posted the links to Numrich about the same time ChaZam must have posted the ones they posted. I was going to post JackFirst but if you don't really know what you're looking for you may have trouble ordering what you need there. They don't have a catalog to look though online. They're very helpful but I liked the schematics on Numrich. They helped me a lot especially with this gun. That's the reason I posted both the links to the 87A and the list of all 87 models. If it's anything like mine you may need it. My gun has Model 311 SeriesH stamped on it but the 311 came in many sub models. Mine is actually a 311E SeriesH and though it didn't matter as far as the stock the hammers are different on the E as compared to the 311, 311A, 311A SeriesF or H, 311C, 311C SeriesF or H, 311D, 311D Series F or H. I almost bought the wrong hammer kit because it's not just as simple as what model the gun has stamped on it with this gun and finding the year is another mess to figure out. Good luck and I'm looking forward to the finished product pics.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. HillbillyChrome

Yea I know what you mean there, I already had that exact page bookmarked the gunpartscorp schematic, lol, I don't need any parts right aways hopefully not for a while ;) its jus nice to know I can get em if something breaks. I'm about positive this guns all original, looked like it hadn't been cleaned for 40-50 years, it was a cryin shame lol, whoever owned it before me didn't know much about a rifle but at least its not in worse shape, just doesn't look that great where they painted it, I'm gonna take it to the range in a day or two and see how much better it shoots compared to before. Take it easy
  8. WeldonHunter

WeldonHunter G&G Newbie

If there was anything on that gun you think may be close to needing replacement you may want to pick it up now. Keep in mind that some of what's available for these old guns is "new old stock" or even used stuff from parts guns. My point is in most cases with old gun parts a lot of it isn't being made anymore so when it's gone, it's going to be hard to find. I have an M69 22LR bolt action Romanian Training rifle and I bought 3 spare firing pins and 8 spare mags for it. Nobody had the mags except LibertyTreeCollectors. It came with one mag but it has a release button right where I carry it when I'm in the brush and I don't know how many times I've almost dropped the mag while hunting. If I were to lose the Mag it then becomes a single shot. Not much fun when you're trying to shoot a coon that the dog is fighting with. I keep two or three loaded mags in my pockets now but I still have the original one too.
  9. HillbillyChrome

Thanks for the advice!!! I'll be sure to take that into consideration!!