Scope for M1 Carbine?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Go Navy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Go Navy

Go Navy G&G Newbie

I apologize because this has probably been asked and answered before; I did a search and didn't find info but could be my mistake.

What's the best kind and power of scope to consider putting on an M1 Carbine?
  2. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

My only question would be WHY? would you put a scope on an M1 Carbine, now that that is over its not made be to a tack driver at long ranges so your best bet would be to get a low power scope.
  3. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I have a 9 power Tasco on my Universal and I can clearly see my misses...Really, the gun shoots grapefruit size groups and if I am centered in the bull I can watch it hit 2" low, then 2" right, hey a '10', opps an '8'. But they will all stay in the black. I also have GI carbines without scope. The carbines are fun guns, not made to be tack drivers. So really a scope will help you see how far you are off...
  4. Go Navy

Go Navy G&G Newbie

I'm not going for a tack driver. I really don't care about that; I'm not a benchrest accuracy kind of person. Minute of grapefruit is fine with me. I can see the 50 yard bull sorta ok with the iron sights, but my old eyes cannot shoot effectively at 100 yards with iron sights. And, the M1 Carbine is a capable rifle at 100 yards if not a bit further. So I want some kind of optics on it to enjoy its 100 yard potential.
  5. M14man

I am not sure what kind of carbine you have, and I would not be recommending the drilling and tapping of one that is GI. Mine is a Universal and it has a side mounted base. I love the 9 power Tasco as it allows me to see the impacts at 50 yds where I do most of my shooting. It was inexpensive. The one draw back is I have is that alot of cases hit the scope and fall back towards the action causing a failure to feed due to the case not being thrown clear.I can see almost all the impacts at 100. so if you have a mount in mind, I think a 9 power would be good.
    ////////edited to add photo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  6. Go Navy

Go Navy G&G Newbie

M14man: that's a nice looking setup you have. Where did you get the side mount?

I have an Auto-Ordnance, so I don't mind putting a scope on it. If it were a G.I. rifle, I probably wouldn't go that route.

Thanks for the photos....
  7. M14man

I bought the rifle from Sarco back in the late 70's. It was already tapped on the side by the factory. It is a first generation Universal, and I mounted GI sights and a bayonet lug plus other parts back then.Mounts were available then from just about anywhere. It is a two piece mount. The top part attaches by thumb screws to a plate that is attached on the side. The wood is relieved where the base is. I need to recoat the stock. After 30 years the surface finish has peeled away in spots from the black die I used to do the stock.
  8. grumpy7159

grumpy7159 G&G Newbie

I put a 4X scope on my GI carbine. It works well for old eyes. My scope mount is one that replaces the rear sight. I bought it from a gunsmith a long time ago and do not have the manufactures name if it is still made.
    The scope has not required an adjustment since I put it on years ago.
    :AR15firing:
  9. PANZER

PANZER G&G Newbie

I have two WW II GI M1 carbines, Winchester and Singer made. I prefer not to mount scopes on either one. I did add a removable muzzle break on one, made a big difference for the little bit of recoil it does produce. Depending on the ammunition used accuracy is not that good in excess of 100 yards. At 75 yards accuracy is very acceptable. Stoping power is not all that great over 50 yards. I was issued one while serving with the Air Force in Korea, it and the model 1911 were a great combination of combat weapons.

Any sugestions for other than hand loaded ammunition to create greater stoping power ?
  10. M14man

Blacklion if you have a Singer made carbine it is worth a fortune since they didn't make them...Go look again....The carbine is at it's limit for power. Using soft points may help stopping power due to expansion.
  11. Bamakiller

Bamakiller G&G Newbie

This was on mine when I got it they drilled no holes I hope you can see from the pic the scope is an old weaver mil dot cool set up if you like scopes but I don't. I would sell the bases/ rings and scope pm me here is pics bamakiller/M1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  12. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

M14man, Singer made receivers for Underwood. They are marked B for the Bridgeport Works.
  13. ironhead7544

ironhead7544 G&G Newbie

There are a couple of scout type mounts that would be good for the carbine. The Burris scout scope would be great on this gun.