Scope Ring Tightening Torque

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Bullet Bob, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Bullet Bob

Bullet Bob G&G Newbie

I am installing a Nikon scope in a set of Leopold rings on a Remington 700 (.270) I cannot find any info on how to tighten the rings..The rings utilize Torx screws and an "L" shaped wrench is furnished..
    I can find some references about 12-15 Inch/Pounds and another reference that indicates tightening the screws using the short side of the wrench until snug, then go another 1/8 turn using the long side of the wrench for a handle.
    I have no equipment to measure inch pounds; I do not wish to damage the scope or to have it move in the rings under recoil..
    Suggestions appreciated..

Bullet Bob
  2. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Get yourself a Wheeler FAT Wrench or the kit I mention below. I'm not sure, but I think it also comes with that bit as one of the 8 or 10 it comes with?

And according to the Wheelers Professional scope mounting kit I have, it says tighten aluminum ring screws 10-15 inch-lbs. ans steel ring screws tighten 15-20 inch-lbs.

Hope that helps?

Get yourself this kit here:>>>

http://www.opticsplanet.net/wheeler-scope-mounting-kits.html FWIW, you can find it on sale for like $69.99. Midway is where I got mine on sale for that. They're currently out of stock and on B/O there though...
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. sourdough44

sourdough44 G&G Newbie

Yes the 15-20lbs is where it's at. If you have a knack for such things you can go by feel. Just realize how much a little screw can handle. I alternate the tightening sequence & go by feel. May not be the book method.
  4. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

sweet glock, this forum is running me about 100 dollars per 20 posts. lol.
  5. Bullet Bob

Bullet Bob G&G Newbie

I don't think that I will spend $70 to mount a $150 scope..I will "feel my way!"

Bob
  6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

By feel is fine. Everyone overtightens.
  7. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

i don't look at it as 70 dollars to mount a scope, i look at it as 70 dollars to make sure all 8 of my scopes are mounted better.
  8. GlockMeister

I look at it as knowing that the odds of me cracking any internal glass is now brought down to 0%. I look at it as now I can't over torque any part of the scope mounting process rather then have to try and figure why my shots are off. lol

I look at it as an investment. Kind of like buying cleaning gear for your gun; to keep it running for years to come. This is just something to give my scopes just as much TLC as I do the gun/s.

But to each their own...
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. GlockMeister

But it's so much fun. lol

And i tell ya', that FAT Wrench isn;t just for scopes. Most screws on every gun have torque ranges and the FAT Wrench, and the fact it's in inch lbs, not foot lbs, makes it so much more versatile, and for more then guns. I suggest if using it for other then guns, get different bits and not risk ruining the bits that came with, especially since some are specifically for scopes.

but yea, spend away TGF, spend away. lol
  10. sourdough44

sourdough44 G&G Newbie

Ever know a guy who can change out a car engine & have it running again? Then there's the other guy that can't be trusted to change the oil? Different strokes for different folks. Yes it is related to the topic.
  11. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Most people over tighten their scope mounting screws. It is one reason they have problems with the scope, over tightened screws cause flex in the scope tube. 15 in lb is normal for just about all scope screws I have encountered. I use a drop of purple gunsmiths loc-tite.
    IMHO, the Wheeler FAT is an over priced POS, generally they make great stuff, but sure missed the boat on the FAT. A [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Beam-Type-Torque-Wrench-4In-Fixed/dp/B000TQ50Y6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1232028982&sr=1-11"]beam style[/ame] wrench is half the price and as long as the pointer comes back to zero it is in calibration. It is not as convenient to use.
  12. nra_guns_winner

nra_guns_winner G&G Newbie

Tight with lock tight! But yea they are small screws and you may have aluminum rings, so tighten them just until they start to strip, and don't forget to level the cross hairs. Use a bubble level inside the action and another across the room on a wall then clock the cross hairs while the levels are level.
  13. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

madcratebuilder that is the first really negative review i have seen of the kit. Most reviews are very positive, is it posible you just got a lemon, or have you had experience with multiple FATs.
  14. madcratebuilder

Read some of the reviews on the gunsmithing forums. Read the reviews at Midway. The FAT is marked in ten inch lb increments, should be at least 2 inch lb. I suppose it's OK for occasional use, but if you use it several times a week it has short comings. For what it cost it should be much nicer.
  15. GlockMeister

Yes, it is marked in increments of 10 with hash marks, if you will, that indicates 5's/ By that I mean, it starts at 10, then has a hash mark for 15, then 20 is marked, then hash mark for 15 and so on, all the way to the end of it's limits, and at the moment, I forget what that is. But I'd add, you can turn the dial and get it real close to 12 inch-lbs. or 18 inch-lbs., whatever you need. To me, it's a far better then having to guess or approximate without anything that's for sure.

I'd also add, if something is recommended to be set at 12-15 inch-lbs., then set it at 15, which as we know well marked. I mean if it's in the range, it will not affect or hurt, in this case we'll say scope rings. I'd much rather have it then not. But then, that's me. I suppose it can be said, gee, what did everyone do before this FAT Wrench came along? lol I also suppose this could be said of many new innovations that have helped us in many, many other areas. I'm quite sure had those back in the day had something available such as this, they'd of all preferred to have one to use then not...JMO of course.
  16. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

I've always gone by feel on everything. Never damaged a scope or had one come loose, or stripped a screw. Come to think of it, I don't think that has ever happened on any of my vehicles I've worked on.

Not that I don't think a decent scope-mounting tool is not worth it if you have spent a good amount of money on optics.
  17. madcratebuilder

Agreed, if you work with fasteners all the time you develop a feel for tightness or torque. I see a lot of striped screws and holes from over tightening. I always use a torque wrench on customer guns, particularly when they are standing there watching. They feel all warm and fuzzy about it.:kiss:
  18. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

mad crate, do you use a ream on the rings or that lapping bar with the grit compound?
  19. madcratebuilder

I machined up a pair of alignment bars. I have had a few rings that required lapping. I use a fine grit value lapping compound, but only as a last result. Normally the rings have just enough wiggle room to get good alignment. I like the Burris Zee rings, never an alignment problem with them.
  20. GlockMeister

I've learned it's usually only the lower end rings that will require lapping/alignment. Unless there was some bad batch or something got out of sync with the CNC machines or whatever machine made them. And generally even then, they find out and catch them before they leave the facility. They will if people are paying attention and doing their jobs anyhow. lol But yes, generally your higher end rings won't need it. I wouldn't think anyways?

I'm also sure there are a few middle to the road brand of rings that don't or won't need lapping/alignment either? But I think it's a good idea to have an alignment tool to at least be able to check before going forward with the scope mounting. Good to know before hand. But then, that's JMO.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009