Scope suggestions for a .243 Rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 99mo, Apr 12, 2008.

1. 99mo

99mo G&G Newbie

Hello,

Pretty much new to the forum. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a quality scope for my .243, which is used for deer hunting.

Probably no more than $300. I am full on middle-aged, so I imagine a fixed 4x will probably work best. Most of my shots will taken 50-100 yards.

Thanks.
  2. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

Take a look at the Burris. Look at a straight 4,a 6, and a 3x9 and see what you like I have a 3x9 on my Ruger 243.
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

One word...Leupold!!! Then you may want to look at the Leupolds. Then just for comparison look at a Nikon to help you decide that you really want a Leupold. LOL!
  4. turner

turner Suspended

These two links are to a couple of scopes on sale now at an awesome price/deal.

Natchez Shooters Supplies - Bushnell Products - Bushnell Browning Scope 3-9X40

Natchez Shooters Supplies - Bushnell Products - Bushnell Browning Scope 2-7X32

read these reviews
    MidwayUSA - Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope 3-9x 40mm Multi-X Reticle Matte

And I'd also highly recommend this Leupold scope as well.
    reviews here as well
    MidwayUSA - Leupold VX-1 Scope 2-7x 33mm Duplex Reticle Matte
    this scope is actually a bit less expensive and the same size as their 4X

A couple of fixed powers. I own the 4x Weaver and it's a very nice scope

MidwayUSA - Weaver Classic K-Series Scope 4x 38mm Dual-X Reticle Matte

MidwayUSA - Weaver Classic K-Series Scope 6x 38mm Dual-X Reticle Matte

If this retailer will take an order on this scope from you without backorder...BUY IT! It's a wonderful scope and deal (normally $259) I have 2 of these.
    Nikon 4x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope

SOME RATINGS ON COMMON SCOPE MODELS, SHOULD THAT INTEREST YOU:
    The Optics Talk Forums: SWFA Riflescope Rating Scale

Good Luck!!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  5. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Suspended

I would go for a 2-7 instead of a fixed 4. Look for fully multicoated lenses, and about a 40 mm objective. There are lots of quality scopes out there besides the luppies, Bushnell Elite for example.

Ron
  6. 99mo

99mo G&G Newbie

Excellent suggestions. I will investigate all.

Appreciate the responses.
  7. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

If you plan on keeping your shots within that range, then I would stick with a fixed scope. You can get a better quality fixed scope for the same price you can get a variable power one. Second you can buy a lower priced scope because the biggest problem cheaper scopes have is the optical quality at higher zoom levels. Well thats the second biggest problem cheap scopes have, the first is floating crosshairs.

I would go with one of these.

Sightron SII - These are the best scopes I have used for the money. You will have to spend much more on Leupold to get the same quality.

They make a SII in 4x and a SII Big Sky in 6x, you should be able to pick either up for around 200.
    Welcome to the Sightron Precision Riflescopes, Binoculars and Sighting Scopes product pages.
    Welcome to the Sightron Precision Riflescopes, Binoculars and Sighting Scopes product pages.

Burris is another good choice but I dont know if they make a fixed scope in their Signature Select or Diamond series. I would not recommend getting the Fullfield line, they just arent as good.

Another option since you want a fixed power scope is
    Super Sniper SWFA Riflescopes Super Sniper Rifle Scopes
    The lowest power is 10x and thats probably too high for the range you are talking about, but they are supposed to be the best value by far. I havent ever tried one, because I have not needed a fixed power scope. When I do, I will for sure give them a try, based on all that I have read about them.
  8. HAWKEYE50

HAWKEYE50 G&G Newbie

I recently did the research thing and decided on a Leupold. For the distances you say you hunt, the 3-9 would probably work best. And the commonality of the 3-9, will be a lower price. I've had a Bushnell 6-18AO on a 270. A Leupold 2-7 Shotgun(75yd paralax). And now have the Leupold 4.5-14 side focus on my Encore muzzeloader. I like the latter the best, however the Bushnell was a great scope out to 220 yards. As was stated above there are many options for you. I'm 46 and needed the focus to see a 3" circle at 100yds. If you can afford it, buy as much quality, and power as you can. I only will be shooting at 10 power at targets to 150 yards. My scope has the horizontal hash marks on the lower vertical lines for hold over and I use the hold marks as an easy range estimater if I don't have the time to Laser the target. But, it is nice to have the extra power to confirm target. By the way, the top line(center) is zeroed at 25yds. In Michigan, that is a reality distance in our woods. Like you, 25-100yds. At 25yds, the 4.5 power setting works well. It isn't too high of a power for that close. Just my opinion. HAWKEYE50.