Sears 30.06 Rifle Help Please

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by WyomingLawDog, Oct 25, 2008.

1. WyomingLawDog

WyomingLawDog G&G Newbie

I don't know much about this rifle but some say it is a Winchester model 70, but this is what is on the rifle, Sears Heritage M-IV supreme 122-5690, cal 30.06, I believe the serial number to be Z-18363. But the problem is I need to find a new stock for it, I busted the wood stock on it yesterday deer hunting. I love this gun and how it shoots and need to find a new stock for it. It has one of the best trigger pulls I have ever felt. If someone can tell me if it is a Winchester model 70 and if it is a post 1964 or what it is and if somone can tell me where to get a stock for it. I would love to try and find a black Synthetic stock for it because I use it to go hunting and it does get scratched up, so I would like the synthetic stock over the wood stock. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brad
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Brad,
    I cannot cross that number over in My books...Can you post some clear close up pictures of the Bolt, and the action ??? We may be able to help.
    Rich
  3. jadek

jadek G&G Newbie

I checked my listings from Hoosier and nothing even close to the numbers . Try to find somebody with a Win 70 and compare the stocks.Pre and post 64. Ther was also a Win 670 and a 70a . Also see if a dealer has Ram-Lines on hand. That would also give you an idea of what it is. Good luck to ya. One week to fall bear season and my Remmie is still at the doctors.
  4. WyomingLawDog

WyomingLawDog G&G Newbie

Gun Photos

I have attached the photos of the Sears 30.06, Also on the receiver along with the serial number, it says Spain stamped in the receiver. The 122-5690 I was told is the gun model number. I did a search via google last night and I found one other post on another sight were another guy owned the same gun who said it was a gun kit made in 1969-1970. Besides that, I don't know who made it or anything else. I am hoping to be able to buy a stock for it instead of having a custom stock made for it because the custom stocks I have seen are expensive. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the delay, I could not get on yesterday after I posted this, it kept saying the band width was overloaded and It would not let me on this site. Thanks, Brad

Attached Files:

5. Jim Rau

Jim Rau G&G Newbie

Can you say 'Mauser'.:feedback:
  6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I believe Jim Hit it on the head...98 Mauser action, Custom Trigger w/side safety...so A stock may require some fitting in that area !
    Rich
  7. WyomingLawDog

WyomingLawDog G&G Newbie

So can I buy a stock for a 98 mauser and it should fit besides a little custom work around the safety? Or what do you suggest. If I can get a sythetic stock for a mauser, any place you suggest to buy from? Thanks, Brad
  8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Go to Midwayusa.com and look at the available large selection of both wood and synthetic stocks...For Mauser 98 ! There are different spec Models because of so many barrels and contours...
    Look at stock # 383-507.
    Rich
  9. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

Yup. Large ring mauser action
  10. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

i have a j.c. higgens 30-06 which is also a sears brand..... mine is an F.N. mauser made in Belgium....... yours may be the same......
  11. riverrat

riverrat G&G Newbie

Im trying to talk my brother in law out of a Higgins 30-06 right now. He's being selfish and hardheaded.
  12. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

they are good solid rifles....... mauser actions set the standard for all bolt action military rifles up till ww 2..... mauser actions are stronger than most commercial actions .... can't beat 'em...... the j.c. higgins ones as far as i can tell don't have much value, but if you get one, never ever part with it...... if i evr figure out how to put photos on this website, i'll post photos of some of my mausers.........
    i'm still wondering if our original poster has a belgian F.N mauser........
    mine has belgian proof marks, and the action is stamped "action made in belgium".... possibly the stock and barrel were added in the u.s.a.???
    anyone know more?
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008