Sears/ Savage model 25 .22 lr

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by pmoney1983, Sep 29, 2012.

1. pmoney1983

pmoney1983 G&G Newbie

Hey everyone,
    Here is the info on the rifle I am looking to buy within a week:
    Manufacture: Sears
    Model: 25
    Caliber: .22 lr (also takes .22L and .22 short) w/ iron sights
    Action: semi auto
    Magazine: Tube
    Stock: Wood
    Price: $85

I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge on these rifles, how many rounds this rifle will hold being a tube, issues with these rifles (if any). I have also been told that this rifle is a Savage, cause they use to make these for Sears and Roebuck. Any infomation would be great. Thanks- P
  2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Depending on condition that is a great price for that little 22!
  3. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Re 22

Hey pal Is there a chance that this rifle was made by High Standard. Looked in my Blue Book and under store brands it lists a Sears model 25 made by High Standard for Sears and the nos. A1041 semi auto. Check your serial number. Hope this helps and I am not incorrect.
  4. pmoney1983

pmoney1983 G&G Newbie

The chamber and barrel are in good condition, the stock is in good condition, except the finish is coming off. easy enough fix though. I would just remove the barrel and trigger assembly, sand down the stock to bare wood and re-finish it. Wouldnt cost me a thing since I have some Brazilian Cherry stain that would look awesome on it. I will probably end up buying it, and since there is a 24 hour guarentee on the guns at the local gun shop, I would go shoot about 100 rounds through it to ensure it cycles properly.
  5. pmoney1983

pmoney1983 G&G Newbie

After doing some research I see that High Standard use to make these for Sears. It has a emblem on the butt of the stock, shoulder rest end, that is in the shape of a shield with a two things on the shield, one of the emblems on the sheild looked like a rooster(?????)
  6. Benji64

Benji64 G&G Newbie

I'd stay away from the sandpaper and go with the chemical strippers. (Not Exotic Dancers tho.) There are a lot on the market, and I had good luck with the environmetally safe type.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Formby's makes an 'antique furniture stripper' that works well and is kinder to old wood. Available at WalMart. I like Formby's Tung Oil Finish too, over the stain. Though if I find that a stock is actual walnut, I just apply the oil finish directly to the wood, as I like the color of real walnut.