Seating depth on bullets with cannelures

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by pathdoc, Jun 5, 2009.

1. pathdoc

pathdoc G&G Newbie

Specifically Hornady .303 174gn BT-FMJ

Seat to cannelure at neck of case, yes? Or no?
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I do, and have had NO problems - fits the No.4 magazine and shows very good accuracy!
  3. pathdoc

pathdoc G&G Newbie

Thanks for that. Will try a half dozen rounds each at minimum (43gn of Australian ADI AR2209), plus half and one grain over. (And even then I'm still 4 grains below max, so not anticipating any pressure problems.)

Update: Worked a treat. No pressure problems and groups were shrinking as the loads went up, so will try more half-grain increments.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  4. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

i used to freak out if my bullets weren't seated on the cannalure. my fav 06 load is just shy of it on a hornady sst. shoots great and i crimp with a lee die so its nota problem.
  5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

If I am loading a bullet that has a cannelure, I always seat to it, unless I need to seat deeper due to magazine length, etc.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

It doesn't seem to be a big deal if I seat the bullets past the groove. I have some pulled 0.311" bullets with cannelures that are all too long to seat in the groove for both my 0.303 Brit and 7.62X54R. They seem to be quite accurate in both calibers even when I crimp them past the groove.
  7. pathdoc

pathdoc G&G Newbie

Past the groove is not so much an issue as seating them with the groove out of the case. Am I likely to run into trouble there? The cannelure is well back, and would interfere with seating the bullet near the lands. Then again. with a .303 I may not be able to get it near the lands in the first place and still keep within magazine limitations. Not so much of a worry for target work, because one has to single-load anyway, but Service rifle competition has magazine-feed applications where it might be an issue.
  8. adkinscr@hotmai

adkinscr@hotmai G&G Newbie

i seat below the cl on my 308's . use factory crimp die .. both rifles are bolt actions though
  9. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

I thought the cannelure was there for the mouth of the case to crimp into. In other words, I seat the bullet to where the mouth of the case is in the middle of the cannelure groove, then crimp the case into the groove. Incorrect?
  10. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

I loaded some 8x56r with resized 225gr bullets I resized to .329. When seated at the cannelure the bullet would be pushed deeper into the case when chambered, so I just seated them all deeper. No problems. I was using a Starting load so I wasn't worried about over pressure. They shot better than surplus but are under pressured. Some primers were backed just a tad. I did not crimp but I will try crimping some of the same load and see what happens.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  11. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

rondog....it would be nice to seat them on the band but if i'm seating them according to the lands then sometimes the cannalure isn't close.thats the cool thing about a lee factory die...... i don't need a cannalure to produce a quality crimp. besides there have been times when you buy a bullet for reloading and it may or may not have a crimp as compared to a factory round of the exact same calibre and wieght. and there are times that if you go by the books on load volume that if you were to seat a bullet ( say my pet load of 58 grs. H4350 under a 165 gr hornady sst), it would pretty much turn into a compressed load, especially if i bumped it up to 59 grains max..

but yes....if your using a roll or taper crimp you must use the cannalure for crimping purposes. that avoids crushing the bullet out of round unless you very gently apply a slight crimp( all manufacturers recommend this and altho they don't dump on lee they won't come out and say yes you can use a lee crimp on thier noncannalure bullets)
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Yeah, I like the Lee FCD's.