selling a gun to a friend

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Ruger100, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Ruger100

Ruger100 G&G Newbie

What do I need to do to sell a gun to a friend? Do I need a bill of sale or receipt to record the transaction. This is just a hypothetical, I'm not looking at selling anything at this point but I've got several friends interested in one of my XD9sc's.
  2. Its-A-Izhevsk

Its-A-Izhevsk G&G Newbie

Swap gun for cash.
  3. REPAIR GUY

REPAIR GUY G&G Newbie

So, if just a question of pretend I would sell to my bro and get one of his in return as far as all is concerned you put the receipt on your dash board and it blow out the window you don't know what happen to it......well as far as the gov's how can they do anything to you as some on these type of fourms have sold all their guns to pay the bills....Yea right...:burnout:As far as I know we still live in a FREE COUNTRY you can do what you want with what is yours as long as it directly does not hurt someone else to your knowledge...
  4. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Hey Scot, In FL you don't need to do anything. Just sell it. Don't even need to write a bill of sale. I would at least write up a bill of sale to protect yourself in case anything ever happens using that gun but legally you don't have to. called the FDLE and asked them when I sold my 9MM Millennium.
  5. Ruger100

Ruger100 G&G Newbie

Thanks Gang,
    Pretty much what I figured I just wanted to double check in case I'm ever asked what happened to my guns. I'm definately not planning on selling any time soon, in fact, I'll probably end up buying more before I ever sell.
  6. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

In Ny, cash will be in the right hand, and you recieve the gun with your left, or vice-versa, as long as it's not a handgun. I've stopped at garage sales and have looked at firearms, (shotguns, rifles)..
  7. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Good idea. I have only sold 2 guns in my life and I regret both. I plan to get a 9MM Millennium to replace the one I sold right after I buy my Millennium .45 I want. I keep putting it off with wishful thinking that they will make a Subcompact .45 XD. What did they offer you for the Subcompact 9MM?
  8. The_Patriot

The_Patriot G&G Newbie

I think keeping them is the best option.

You must have originally bought them for a good reason. Unless you're in a pinch financially, keep those suckers.

I've only sold two guns in my life, too (Super Blackhawk and a .444 Marlin) and I regretted both of those sales.

Unless you need to, keep 'em! Good luck.
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I would recommend a Bill of Sale with signatures to verify the transfer of ownership. The only time anyone would require you to provide it is when it was used in the commission of a crime.
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You mention a handgun.In Michigan the buyer goes to the County Sheriff,s Dept and obtains a permit to purchase.He bringe the permit to you in triplicate and both of you fill it out and you keep one copy.From there on out the gun is his and when he returns his copy to the SD the gun is taken out of your name and registered to him.If you had possesion of a consealible firearm without registering it,you were breaking the law.This includes BP handguns.In most states firearms laws can be obtained at State Police web site. sam.