Shooting 44 Specials in a 44 Mag?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Vstrom, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Vstrom

Vstrom G&G Newbie

:usa2:I need some advice. I was told that you should not shoot 44 special ammunition with a 44 mag pistol because of the length in the cylinder in the magnum will cause problems with the shorter special cases, particularly with lead bullets being deformed by the longer cylinder scraping the shorter bullets.
    Any thoughts?
  2. rl356

rl356 G&G Newbie

.44spl in a .44mag is fine.
  3. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Vstrom,

Welcome to G&G...

I shoot 44 Spl in a 44 Mag often...

...without any problems.

It's just like shooting 38 Spl in a 357 Mag,...

...which works great, just as designed and intended.
  4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

My thoughts are...You are hanging around the wrong person if they told you BS like that...
    AS stated....44 Specials are fine in 44 mags!
  5. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Yes the guy what told you that is a clueless n00B who has no business giving advice
  6. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just make sure to clean your chambers well. If you shoot a lot of specials without cleaning well, the 44 mags may chaber a little rough. Same drill with .357/.38
  7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The .44 Magnum was developed from the .44 Special, just as the .357 Magnum was developed from the .38 Special. You can shoot .44 Special out of a pistol chambered for .44 Magnum. Just don't try it the other way. .44 Magnum does NOT fit a pistol chambered for .44 Special!
  8. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

As some of the other very knowing posters have

stated it is perfectly fine to shoot .44 specials in a .44 mag revolver.

It seems like a lifetime ago but I once owned a Ruger Single Action .44 mag. I used .44 mag cases to handload down in power until I found a sweet point for me between the power of a .44 special and a .44 mag.
  9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i do it alla time.
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If you didn't clean well after shooting specials a lot and had a carbon ring buildup that made mags chamber hard you could have a pressure spike from hard bullet release.I never knew of this causing a big problem,but might lead to accuracy problems because the bullet was compressed before going into barrel.I really don;t know because I never let such a thing happen.If .44mags chambered hard I would clean chambers before firing them.The same as I would do with .38spl/.357mag.. sam.
  11. Jersey Jailer

Jersey Jailer G&G Newbie

Spls in mag chambers are fine, without careful cleaning carbon fouling and slight lead shaving may occur. There was a modification that was done many years ago for shooting 38s in 357 mag guns, which camfered the chamber edge so that 38's lead bullets didn't shave in competition revolvers. I had it done to my 686 20 years ago. I'm sure it was done on 44 mags also. I don't know if is still available today. The mod to the chambers was also supposed to help minmize the carbon build up caused by shooting shorter cased ammo. Back then I was a bit more Anal than i am now with cleaning my non-carry guns and can only say that it was easier to clen but did not notice a difference in accuracy. The gun was modified locally by a gunsmith that is now dead. I only know that he used a Clymer reamer to do the mod. it also evened the chambers and camfered the the rear of the chambers for speed reloading.

If you spray WD-40 in your chambers after shooting, then clean them with a bronze(not stainless steel) any fouling should come right out whithout a lot of elbow grease. Also if you spray down the barrel with WD you should find that it is easier to clean the barrel up, especially if you shoot a lot of lead. When I started shooting Cowboy Action, I shot 44spl fom my Vaqueros. I switched to mags only because on bullet feeding reliability issues in my Win 94/44 rifle
  12. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    for carbon ring removal in chambers i use an old shotgun brush in a drill.
    i dont use wd-40 on anything.
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

My opinion of WD40 is it can be used for cleaning but I would never use it where it can get into a mechinism where I couldn't get it out.When you put it on door hinges they start squeeking in a few days.Thats the kerosene which is not a lubricant.Anyway,I believe it smells better(but doesn't work as good)than Kroil and works on rust but should be cleaned out after use.I use degreaser,let dry and lightly oil after use.I think it works for what it was intended for,the way it was intended to be used. sam.
  14. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

As the others have said, no problems shooting .44spl in the 44mag revolvers but there may be a problem if you shoot .44spl in a Winchester 94 lever gun. same for 38 spl in a .357 mag Win 94 lever gun. Part of the lifting/loading platform can break off and jam the gun. Seen it 3 times now but only with winchester 94's in .357 & .44 mag.

Question.......What's the difference between WD40 and Superglue?

Answer..............About 3 months!

Feel free to disagree with me, some will some won't.
  15. Vstrom

Vstrom G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info! I thought the guy who told me that was full of crap! I have been shooting that way for a long time but you never know; now I do!
    I don’t use wd40 for any thing unless it has gotten wet esp. fishing reels, I don’t think its used for lubrication just water displacing. I'll stick with Hoppes#9 for cleaning guns. Now do any of you have a good load for A 44 spl with lead bullets?:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
  16. Constantine1911

Constantine1911 G&G Newbie

You can shoot:

44 special in a 44 magnum

38 special in a 357 magnum

but!!!!!!!!!! NOT the other way around! And you will be just fine my friend.
  17. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

A couple of the guys at my range practice with .44 Specials in their .44 Magnums because the rounds cost less and don't kick as much. For real life, they do load the Magnum rounds.
  18. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Heck even Dirty Harry used a "light Special load" in his .44 Mag!!!

Next time you see that guy, pop him in the back of the head NCIS-style (Briggs) and call him a moron...OFF the firing line, of course :)
  19. Vstrom

Vstrom G&G Newbie

Naw, I'll just leave the big dope alone.I don't even think there is a 44 Special made anymore I knew Smith&Wesson had made one at one time.:hail: Ya got to love these little roundie guys!!:buttkick:
  20. Constantine1911

Constantine1911 G&G Newbie

Well Charter Arms make a 44 special(Bulldog).