Shooting indoor a ? for vets and leos

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Capt'n Mil Coll, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I have a question concering shooting indoors. In a house or business. I am asking LEO's and Vets because some of you have shot indoors. There seems to be a perception that if you shoot indoor as in your house at an intruder you will become deaf and/or blinded by the report and flash.

I know when I shot a shotgun indoor it did make my ears ring but hardly deafened me.
    What does anyone else that had to shoot indoors say?
  2. Yogi

Yogi G&G Newbie

As I have absolutly NO experiance in this, From all the info I have (Talking with LEO's and my time shooting) Your ears will take some damage but being deaf and blind? Not unless you do so all the time. But thats just my opinion.
  3. Jay

Jay Old man, no tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Shooting indoors without hearing and eye protection will not deafen, or blind you...... however.... it will be difficult to hear well for a short time after shooting, and your night vision will temporarily suffer as well. The hearing issue is more of a concern to me as some degree of impairment may be permanent. The more often it happens, the worse your hearing will become.

Yes, I've been there.........
  4. Lobo0311

Lobo0311 G&G Newbie

In some cases there is even some kind of biological or chemical (not sure which) reaction between your brain and your ears if I remember right it's in direct correlation to the elevated levels of adrenaline already in your system, that has been documented on a few occasions to not affect your hearing. I wish I could remember the report I read that in, but this ONLY applies to actual combat scenarios, during practice you should, of course, wear the proper PPE.
  5. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

It also depends on a few things like 1. Volume of Fire, How much lead are you sending downrange. 2. are the shooting back if so how fast and 3. how small the room is, the bigger the room the more area the sound has to travel thus making less of an echo if the room is smaller the echo will be louder.
  6. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I was in a room where a .357 was fired, it was not pleasant. The noise was disorienting.
    No, I never hung around the idiot that did it ever again.
  7. Heavy shooter

Heavy shooter G&G Newbie

The only state stupid enough to vote for Mondale i
    We I was youngster me and a couple of buddy's got the bright idea about trying to poach a deer out of car window. I still don't know to this day, why we tried other than my buddies all were poor and their dads took deer all the time to feed the family. Anyway, we found a field with some deer on it about 200 yards away. And decide to give it a go. As one of friends was drawing his bead on a deer, another told him to keep the muzzle inside the window to keep the noise down. Long story short, a Remington 760 carbine .30/06 is incredibly loud and bright inside a car. My ears rang for a good week after that. I don't recall being disorented or anything, But I was really pissed at my buddy for making his suggestion.

They really funny part is deer didn't even move after he shot. He missed by so far, the deer just continued to feed.
  8. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

You say that your ears were ringing, that is sign of permanent hearing loss. Sure, you aren't deaf, but I bet there are some high-pitched sounds that I can hear now that you can't.

Muzzle blast and blindness? Well depends on the firearm, and I doubt it would be permanent. It may be temporary, such as the visual effect of a Flashbang grenade, but the visual effects would wear off.

Now, I would take a bit of hearing loss to save my life. So, if someone breaks into my home and I am to the point of having to shoot them, my hearing wouldn't even be in my mind at the time.
  9. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

As an old loe and having been in the exact situation that you are aking about i was much more concerned with the perp in front of me than i was about my hearing and i never lost my eye sight, after the situation was over my ears were ringing and my nerves were frazzled but i never suffered any lasting trauma. With that said every person reacts differently and each will experience his own after effects of an indoor shoot out.
    Steve
  10. G. Green

G. Green G&G Newbie

In a non stress situation it will be LOUD, and dust will fly, usually little particles will float from the ceilng, if you're close to the target you will feel some blowback, (if the target is a person and you're really close you may get some tissue on you), but the actual act of cranking off a couple of rounds indoors won't blind or deafen you. You might have some temp hearing imparment and if you do it much you might have permanent damage. If it's a training deal wear quality eye and ear protection. Under stress you might think it jacked up your vision, but that's a fight or flight deal where people's senses do crazy stuff. Ever heard somebody say "man, I didn't know whether to shit or go blind"? They're usually joking, BUT there is a bit of fact in that statement. People do sometimes lose bowel and bladder control, and some folks experience tunnel vision so severe they can barely see. That's why most agencies train a 360 scan after an engagement, helps break tunnel vision, not to mention seing Bubba's brother running up behind you.
  11. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

Makes a big differance if you are the one doing the shooting.