Shooting slugs through choke tubes?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dr. Gonzo, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo G&G Newbie

I want to take my Tristar Cobra Pump 12g. out to the shooting range. The range only allows you to shoot slugs from shotguns. Some people I speak to say not to shoot slugs through a barrel that uses choke tubes. I also have an H&R Pardner 12g. that I can use, but I want to put the Tristar though the paces.

So, my question is......can I shoot slugs through a barrel that uses choke tubes? and if so, which choke should I use? Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question, but I am here to learn. Thanks.
  2. TRUE GRIT

TRUE GRIT G&G Newbie

Yes, if its a cylinder or improved cylinder choke tube, nothing smaller. There are also screw in rifled chokes for firing rifled slugs.
  3. HK45

HK45 G&G Newbie

I asked my dealer awhile back about the same thing for my Winchester 1300. I was actually surprised at the response. To shoot a rifle slug, I should get a Saboe(spelling?) choke. He says it will actually be more accurate. I thought this was very interesting.

What True Grit said is true. You should be fine with using that choke for a rifled slug. Just don't ever shoot a slug in a shotgun without any type of choke.
  4. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo G&G Newbie

Yeah, I know. I also know not to clean it without a choke tube in it as well.

Thanks for the responses guys. Luckily my Tristar came with 3 chokes and Improved Cylinder was one of them. What about a Cylinder/Skeet choke?
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Use the Cylinder choke with the largest hole to be safe ! Make sure the choke is snug or you will damage your barrel and threads !
    Rich
  6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

As a matter of curiosity

could you please get an explanation from your range? Why not shoot a slug in a rifled barrel that is, in itself, a sort of safety factor due to improved accuracy.
  7. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

^^^ here here
  8. kewanee61443

kewanee61443 G&G Newbie

I was just checking, and found out the choke is the one with 4 notchs on it. how are u likeing your gun so far ?
  9. vicv

vicv G&G Newbie

you're not supposed to clean your shotgun without a choke screwed in? how do you clean the threads?
  10. oneounceload

oneounceload G&G Newbie

exactly- take the choke out, clean the threads and the choke - put some grease on it and reinstall

a sabot-clad slug is best shot with a rifled barrel or a rifled choke made for shooting sabots - they need spin imparted to them.
  11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have seen the barrel split on screwin and multiple choke systems.Usually they never found the choke.However,I have also seen slugs fired through a screwin .665 turkey choke with no ill efect.I just don't like the sound of firing slugs through a screwin/multiple choke system.Too many variables for me when you can pick up a slug barrel from $50.to$200. sam.