Should I purchase a mil dot spotting scope?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by notajeep, Aug 18, 2011.

1. notajeep

notajeep G&G Regular

I've got a Nikon Monarch rifle scope and now seem to think I may want a spotting scope with the mil dots as well. It just doesn't get any better sounding than that does it? Any one have one of these monsters, what do you think of it? Should I consider something else, such as a laser range finding spotting scope? On one of my last hunts my wife really enjoyed spotting prairie dogs for me. I'm just thinking anything I can do to help her help me will pay off. My five year old enjoys my current spotting scope so in a few years she'll have it all figured out and be spotting for the both of us, well maybe.
  2. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I'd suggest the range finder. In fact, here's a reasonably priced one...

Bresser Range Finder 800, Binoculars & Rangefinders, Bresser at Sportsman's Guide

I can't and couldn't afford to spend anymore then that so I picked one of those up about a year ago and it not only worked fine, IT STILL WORKS JUST FINE.

I suggest the range finder because if you have a/your mil dot scope zeroed and set-up properly, once you know the range, you then simply just use the corresponding mil dot.
  3. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Enthusiast

Mil-Dot spotting scopes are only useful if you're really range estimating with it, and even then, it's more accurate measuring in meters with mils. If you think that way, the the spotter shooter communication will work very well, but if your mind and scope works in MOA/yards, I'd suggest an MOA scale ranging reticle. Those get pretty expensive though.

Wind calls are waaay easier when the spotter is working on the same adjustment scale as your scope.
  4. notajeep

notajeep G&G Regular

Yea I've seen an interesting range finder like the above link at a golf supply warehouse place locally. I'm having troubles spending the money on this high tech stuff instead of bullets and powder. Just cant tell my self it's worth it. Think I may put this off another year or two till my boy is hooked then we can tell mom we have to have it, right? At least more than one product is on the market to choose from. As for calling the wind or two or three winds I agree the spotter should be using the same scale.

Rangefinders | TGW.com
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  5. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

After using many reticle schemes, MOA, BDC etc, I have found a good mildot, and preferably a mil/mil scope very easy to use and adjust for. Ranging aside, you spotter calling adjustments in mils, you dial them in. Up 1.... 10 clicks.. done
  6. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I concur. As this works just fine. As long as you have a spotter that is. lol
  7. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

You already have a scope get a range finder, unless you are like me, I put a buddies range finder to shame a couple of weeks ago.
  8. notajeep

notajeep G&G Regular

Range finder it is, Gander Mountain will surely have something for sale this fall thats good to about 700yds.