Should military women be on the front line during war/confrontation?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MrsS, Nov 19, 2008.

?

Should military women be on the front line in war/confrontations?

1. yes, definetly.

58 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. No, they shouldn't.

31 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Only in extreme situations/need.

32 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Don't know.

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. MrsS

MrsS G&G Newbie

Just interested in this.....I have already heard people's view (i.e. women joined knowing that they may face that situation; women wanted equality; no for women with children, etc).

Just like to hear what everyone's opinion/views are...especially our veterans! Thanks.
  2. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

No one should be put on the front line. But, sometimes it is necessary. I said yes, but not as in "Yes, Definitely." as the Poll states. It is more of a "Yes, if they meet all standards, qualify and it is deemed necessary as a military action." ...same as men.

I also believe this of gays & whatever else you want to throw out there. If they are willing & able, then have at it if necessary as a military action.
  3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

While our society is not ready to accept the notion, I think they should be allowed to volunteer for combat duty. The Israelis have female combat troops. I know there are some logistical problems associated, and some psychological ones as well. I just think they should have the choice.
  4. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

this says it better than i could have.
  5. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

I pretty well agree with Ivan. I would much rather have them armed and up front than unarmed in a holding area to the rear that might be overrun.
  6. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

women in combat

I being the decenter; I am a little old fashion; I try very hard to be a gentleman first. My issues are; security, and maintaining a sense of dignity.

Can a woman take the same heat during combat:) probably better
    Can a woman do all the jobs that men do;:) probably better
    Can women think during ''hairy scarey'' moments:) probably better

Women that I know aren't all 'Macho'' and wild and wooley; they seem to think; and react; instead of reacting and then thinking:09:

Would I respond to a ''woman'' superior as I would a man:) yes

we lived by some codes:) don't leave a man behind, we can add; don't leave anyone behind
    In a capture situation; all is different; And that is my personal issue:

so how do I vote:

With war: you dress in your colors; I'll dress in mine; we have rules; both sides agree to; ''Geneva" convention.

In these so called wars of today?? dress casually and we will do as we please.

there is more and I stop now:))))
  7. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

I think Equal Rights should be Equal, so I say yes. My oldest daughter is active duty now. I was talking to her about my son joining the military and she said she didn't want to see her brother get blown up. I told her that Freedom isn't free and my son was no better than our troops that are facing death everyday in Iraq or Afghanistan. She was in New Jersey TDY doing x-rays on the bodies straight from the war zone. (They x-ray them to see if they have any unexploded ordinance inside the bodies) It really brought the war close to home for her. She is on the list for Deployment now.
  8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

If she has the fighting spirit for combat, sure. Fighting spirit is rare and not to be wasted. There is nothing that says it is strictly the property of heterosexual males.
  9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    yes

and they should all get free puppies.
  10. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

does it work for Isreal?
  11. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

IF a woman can do what any man can, then I say ... why the hell not ?

Equal work, equal pay, equal responsibility, equal treatment.

Sad to say... I've not met many that can ... however, there are some that certainly can and have done more than some men I know. Those that can are formidable Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors and Marines. Some women I know are much more vicious than men.

Heck, one of the best shooters in this country is a red headed female Marine.

... thankfully, she's a friend of mine.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  12. zmanfury

zmanfury G&G Newbie

no , women shouldn't be in the front line .
    then again there really isn't a front line in the war that we are fighting.
  13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

my own personal belief is no. now if you believe in equal rights, then yes, and they should also have to pass the exact same physical requirements that the men do.
  14. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I say absolutely. We currently need all of the good fighters that we can get, and I believe there are a lot of women out there that can fight better than the average man.

I agree with gays too, we aren't in the position to be excluding anyone from our military. When the bullets start flying, are you really going to care about the gender or sexual orientation of the person that has your back?
  15. YankeeSpirit76

YankeeSpirit76 G&G Newbie

You hit the nail on the head lefty. You can't let some train easy because they're not as physically strong as others, but then send them out with the strong and expect them to do the same job.
    But mostly, I don't even want to think about what would happen to the ladies if they were captured and spend time (maybe years) in a POW camp.
  16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

deputy 125: The Israelis have had female combat troops since they existed as a Nation/State. So I guess the answer is yes, it's working for them.

YS76: That is what I meant about our society not being prepared for our women to be in combat. How would an infantryman act differently to a female soldier being wounded as oppossed to a male ?? How would female soldiers affect leader's ability to make sound decisions ? As we see females move into more Direct Support roles, we will see just how we will handle them in combat assignments.
  17. YankeeSpirit76

YankeeSpirit76 G&G Newbie

Agreed Steve,
    Personally, I think most men would be devastated to see a young woman be severely wounded.
    I have nothing but respect and admiration for these women who want to defend their country, but it is such a touchy subject.
  18. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

appreciate it.............
    i did not know for sure if they were full-time front line combat troops or more like a combat reserves role............
  19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

as a side note, since we do have equal rights, and affirmative action, i also believe all women by their 18th birthday should have to register for selective service. otherwise its just discrimination.
  20. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

My position is that women should not be "sent" into war. They should arm and train to defend their communities. That's what the men go away to fight for, to protect their homes and families.

Now what constitutes a community and where you draw the line between sending them off and grouping them together is another subject. But in general I would say women should only fight in cases of invasion, not foreign wars.

As far as gays go, I feel that the military should be able to make its own policies in that regard without political interference. If that means don't-ask-don't-tell, fine. Carlos Mencia did a hilarious sketch about gays in the military, saying he's all for it because if he was in combat he'd want his fellow soldiers to really love him.