SHTF Vehicle, What would you choose?

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by AllAlaskan, Oct 15, 2008.

1. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

Im just curios as to what vehicle you would pick for transportation in the event of a SHTF event or Disaster hit.

Now If it was me (Hopefully when I move up I can find something like this) I would choose A SUV or jeep. Something like a Ford Explorer or a Chevy blazer (Older BIg or small) with 4wd. That way you can stay on the move and if needed you can sleep inside. Also since I have a wife and kid and another kid on the way I would have to make sure I can fit 4. And having a fully enclosed back would be nice to where if you needed to reach supplys or weopons in the back easy unlike a truck where you have to get out to get into the bed. With a SUV or Jeep you or your partner (IF you have one for me it would be my wife) could get to stuff if needed on the go.

Im just curios as to what you might use :D
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

well since my 67 jeep finally gave out, I would have to say it would be my '08 hummer h3. Its gotta cargo rack that fits on top, as well as a cargo rack that I can slip in the rear trailer hitch doodad! It also has triangular rings in like 6 places in the back space for bungees to hook to and keep supplies from being banged/bounced around if you have to speed up the pace when traveling off-road! It also has two big compartments in the rear to store BOB type stuff everyday. So far i still have just the 1 spare tire, but am thinking about fitting a mount to the top rack that could hold another..
  3. AllAlaskan

^I would like to get the original hummer :D those things will go all over the place but they are out of my price range lol.
  4. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

depends on the "SHTF" scenerio?
    if its an economic breakdown then yes, i would keep my jeep and my van. 4x4 for scouting and van for living and "mothership" or "mobil command center".

if its an EMP then anything pre 1980 or computer system. the only draw back would be you are now the biggest target out there, for the bad guys and the good guys. i would thing a good heavy duty mountain bike with a little trailer would be the way to go in that scenerio.

but anything that can keep you mobil would be the way to go. good question, though.jmo
  5. AllAlaskan

True larmus if it was an EMP event then it would have to be a older vehicle. If it was just my self and I didnt have a family then I think I would just get a Four wheeler. I could load my guns onto it (Only have 2 atm) I could pack a big rubber maid on the back with with cloths and servival gear and on the front rack put another rubber maid container with Ammo and any thing else I can fit in there. Actually A Polaris Ranger or a Yamaha Rhino with the enclosed shells (aftermarket) would be another good one. but like you said you would be the target of every one around which that alone would be scary.
  6. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

Just don't ever get a H2!!!! H3's will crawl all over them!!! and then some! I took my Qx4 places (b4 my brother crashed it) that the H2 couldn't go!! And the qx4 I had was by no means a real off-road vehicle!!!!
  7. AllAlaskan

The H2s were a HUGE disipointment. They sit on the same chasis as Taho, So why not just buy a taho lol. Now I have heard that the H3s were underpowered, are they really that underpowered or is it not to bad. I was hoping they would make a small v8 option for em. Would make a monster rig! lol.
  8. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

They do make a v8 for the h3!! its the Alpha version.. And yes I know critics give all the hummers hell, but since I'm a certified bama redneck that's been "mud ridin" since before i could legally drive I can authoritatively say the H3 is pretty darned impressive.. Its no CJ5, but it'll get the job done! Nothing else in the GM line can perform like it (stock) and I'm certain about that!! If you don't need the room of the H3, you could always go for the Fj cruiser.. Those suckers will MOVE through the woods!! and that ain't no joke.. Next to a CJ5 it is probably the most capable out there (stock of course)!!
  9. AllAlaskan

O I didnt know they made a V8 option! Man if I had the money and Credit I would problubly check those out lol.
  10. mos19k

mos19k G&G Newbie

We have a Cherokee as our Bug Out Vehicle, it's small enough to get through most trails and yet has a good amount of room inside. We also have the cargo rack on the roof. The car gets acceptable gas mileage and has a strong 4.0 liter 6 cylinder. We are in the process of getting a Rhino but it does have limited cargo space. I do like the new 4 door Wranglers, they have almost as much room as my Explorer and from what I've seen are nearly as off road capable as the regular Wranglers. Also they are much cheaper than the H3.
  11. AllAlaskan

I have seen a few lifted 4 door wranglers and They look likke they would be a good rig. In stock form though they look wierd to me lol just a 4 door wrangler looks odd sitting kinda low but with a 2 or 3 inch lift get em up a lil bit they look like they would be a very capable rig.
  12. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

I've been wondering about those.. None of my friends have bought one yet.

Nothing will ever match the original jeeps in my opinion, but if those 4dr wranglers can perform even close to the original, then I bet they are worth whatever they're chargin for 'em.

If you run across any data about them please share!
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Polgo stick !!! Now think about it. And weve had this great Thread before, so keep it going for the new members...A.H
  14. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

Yeah I guess If I had a gripe about the h3 it would be that it should come from the factory with AT LEAST the leveling kit, that picks up the front a few inches to match the rear!! They want like $1,800 to do it! That kinda pisses me off!! lol
  15. AllAlaskan

^ Dang!! 1800 just for a lvling kit! Thats insane! For that kind of money I would expect a full 3 or 4 inch lift atleast!
  16. Rimjob

Rimjob G&G Newbie

No %@#$!!!! lol

Thats why mine isn't leveled!! LOL

Surely I can find someone else that makes one and can have it installed for less!!... at least I hope so!!

I have found the parts for as low as $1,000 but I wouldn't know where to begin to install it!! lol
  17. JohnRaven.exe

JohnRaven.exe G&G Newbie

To the original poster....... If you want a STOCK suv/truck for a SHTF off road vehicle, stay away from the ford and chevy...

I have a 1992 Toyota 4Runner (4x4) and it is completely stock.

Compare a '92 4Runner to the same year of any domestic and the 4Runner will smoke them on the trails.

All I would really have to do right now to make my (STOCK) truck a very capable off road vehicle would be to add a locker in the rear... You can't say that to a stock 92 ford or chevy.

Now, back to the topic :09: For off-road vehicles I would use my 4Runner as my main way of transportation. Second would be my 1986 Yamaha XT350 :D
  18. AllAlaskan

^ I would argue on that one My dad had a 89 S10 pickup with a Factory 2 inch lift and had a posi in the back and would go any where and out did His buddys Toyota Tacoma. Also to be honost I would rather have a Jeep Wrangler over an explorer just to make it known lol. But i would consider a 4runner too they are very good vehicles. Only problum is most the ones I see people want more than they are worth :(
  19. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

Bicycle

Low maintenance, won't run out of fuel, can drive it just about anywhere and park it anywhere. Keeps you in shape.
  20. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

If you can find one, a VW Thing makes a good survival vehicle. It has as few parts as it's possible for a 4 wheel vehicle to have, no radiator to worry about because it uses the utterly reliable air cooled 2000 CC VW Boxer engine, and it has a mechanical voltage regulator, so no EMP worries. It gets excellent gas mileage, a manual transmission and has an integral oil filter, and it's simple to maintain. It's not fancy, but that just means there's less to break down. That would be my choice, especially if I could get a West German Army surplus model.