Side eject or Bottom eject?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DECOY, Sep 18, 2008.

1. DECOY

DECOY G&G Newbie

Hello Guys. Could you help me on this one? I'll be getting a shotgun soon for home protection. It’s with a standard stock and holds 5-6 shells in magazine.

I first considered the Maveric model 88 of Mossberg because I liked its handling and the reliability that goes with it. But the cost here was very prohibitive for me, $580.00.

I then considered the local shotguns made here in the Philippines. But, I personally witnessed some problems with it like parts falling off. So I guess, never mind. (Although it looks great on the shelve with the furniture and finish)

Then I saw a Norinco 12 gauge shotgun which looks like an Ithaca m37 replica. It's cheaper than the locally made shotgun and found that it's sturdier:

[​IMG]

However, a buddy told me that it's not possible to "tactically” load an Ithaca type shotgun in an emergency (according to him, feeding 1 round thru the side ejection port and racking the fore end). Well, a security guard told me that you can do just the same effect by dropping a round directly into the magazine loading port and rack the fore end while you tilt the gun sideways.(Which I don't know if it's true since I never had tested one before)

Could you guys who had tried this model(replica or original Ithaca) help me out on this. I'd really appreciate it:
    1. Could the m37 type be "tactically" loaded?
    2. Is the side eject better than the bottom eject?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well, the Ithaca bottom eject is a classic design

that has served police and sportsmen in America for many decades.
    I rather doubt you could say bottom eject is or is not better than side eject. Both are well proven. It is really more the matter of the quality of the gun as a poorly designed and manufactured gun will fail no matter what the ejection port.

If you mean can you drop a shell into the chamber by turning over a bottom ejection gun the answer is yes - at least on a real Ithaca.
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The dealer I bought my SKS from is also a gunsmith. While we were doing the paperwork, I asked him abotu some of the guns he had in for work. Among them was that Norinco copy of the Ithaca. Someone wanted a longer magazine tube installed.

He said that as inexpensive shotguns go, it's not bad. He said the reliability is pretty good and the parts fit closely. He also said that a couple of police departments are looking at them to replace their worn-out shotguns. No decision had been made then, but the fact they were even considering them ought to tell you something. Low cost notwithstanding, cops won't buy junk when their lives may depend on their guns.
  4. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

$580.00 for a maverick!!! Good grief mine only cost $185.00 up in Alaska. Have you thought about ordering one off the internet? You might be able to do it that way and get one cheeper. Just a thought.
  5. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

Go with the side eject. The problem with bottom eject shotguns comes when you try to eject a spent shell with the gun resting on something, as in whatever you have taken cover behind.
  6. JohnRaven.exe

JohnRaven.exe G&G Newbie

I have the same shotgun! I paid $137 about a year ago...

My only complaint:

It will NOT eject light loads. ie 4-6-7-8 shot, ect... They always jam and have a weird dent in the side of the casing after being fired. Very strange. I've never been able to figure it out... Oh well! Thats what I get for buying a cheapo shotgun!

On the other hand, it fires and cycles slugs and buckshot without a problem!
  7. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

Goodness, so many folks talk about tactical reloading on the shotgun. And yes, i have trained in the technique before.............but i have not read of any instance in the USA where any leo was in a fire fight situtation and required a tactical reload other than loading a feret gas round................

Folks who like side eject such as the mossberg or the 870 appreciate the feature to tactical load. Folks who like the bottom eject design like to point out that there is a less likelyhood of trash/debris getting into the action.

i prefer the bottom eject as i am a lefty and i also do baracade shooting where the side eject has caused a problem--at least for me---on one occasion.............

looking at the two designs, i would guess that for defense, the side eject might have the advantage if for no other reason than if you was to have a total magazine failure where shells would not release from the magazine (seen it in a winchester) or the magazine would not keep the shells in place, then you could single shot load the side eject models with ease keeping the gun more at the ready.

The ithaca 37 design is a good/great/out-standing one but is complicated compared to the 870 or even the mossberg. It could not compete with new designs that were less expensive to manufacture and required fewer parts and less fitting. The 37 design s also a royal pain to field strip and clean...................

I know very little about your Country. I would make sure that what ever i got i could

get a gunsmith to make parts or
    get spare parts for it

norinco also makes a copy of the remington 870 and have a tactical extended tube ghost sight version of it available in this Country.......that might be an option for you as about 90% of remington parts will work in this norinco and the 870 is a current production design and parts might be easier to come by.........

With either design however, if all you are going to do is train/practice with it a couple of times a year and then leave it loaded for serious social occasions, it just might last forever......
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  8. GURU

GURU G&G Newbie

norinco 870 ?

hello guys I am looking one for HD. norinco 870 -14" please guide me its my first one THANKS
  9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

unless you want to pay for an expensive tax stamp, your going to need a longer barrel (at least if your in the U.S.).
  10. GURU

GURU G&G Newbie

I am in canada lefty norinco is inexpen in canada & I am not in position to spend big $
  11. DECOY

DECOY G&G Newbie

Thank you for your feedbacks!

Guys,

Thank you for your feedback. I can't get a really honest to goodness FR on shotguns here in the Philippines. Cops seldom use it here if they do carry it. People here in general are still of the Militaristic mind set. They still prepare m16s over shotguns even if you it's for urban and crowded are use. So, only Night watchmen and homeowners use shotugns which seldom they do fire.

It's only now that we have these forums here in Manila and I can tell that shotgunners are either bias due to the prohibitive cost, Hollywood legends, and due to inexperience, and we do have a couple of armchair warriors here too. We are still young with this matters so I think I couldn't really get a credible FR or comment here and you guys really helped me decide on what type of shotgun to buy with pros and cons laid out.

So, Thanks to you guy. Also, to the forum, and its admins. Without them, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get in touch with you guys and get your valuable infos.

Best regards to all!

Decoy
    Manila Philippines