Sig Sauer AR 15 at wal mart

Discussion in 'AR15' started by hello breezie, Mar 17, 2012.

1. hello breezie

hello breezie G&G Newbie

I was in wal mart today and heard of some people seeing ARs in theirs so I decided to look. They actually had two and I was very surprised. They had a dpms one that was $5xx and a Sig Sauer one for $917. The sig had a bunch of magpul stuff including rear folding sight, front sight, extendable stock, grip, and foregrip. They were both listed as .223 caliber, and the guy told me that it would shoot 5.56, but i thought I had read somewhere that .223 wouldnt fire 556 but that 556 would fire 223. Did i read wrong? What are your general opinions on this gun and price.
  2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

The Walmarts near me dont carry any firearms. They did years ago and hoping they come back. Just ammo for now. Good price for the AR,s though. What you were asking about the difference in 5.56x45 nato and 223 is mainly the pressures. Either one will shoot in it but I believe that the nato round has about 10,000 more cup of pressure. If its marked strictly for 223 on the reciever then you may not want to shoot nato rounds in it alot. You never know how long and what will happen if you continuously shoot them through it. There has been quite a few disscussions about this subject on this forum before.
  4. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

$900 and close to that is a good price for a Sig. DPMS are damn good too though.
  5. jhenry88

jhenry88 G&G Newbie

A local Wal-Mart near me has a Sig 556 for $936. I was incredibly tempted. I went back again and asked to hold it and from the few minutes I spent with it I could tell it was incredibly well made. I was very tempted again.
    I have been looking up the rifle and it looks super expensive to add on to. But I am still tempted and may give in the next few weeks.
  6. Gopher3604x4

Gopher3604x4 G&G Newbie

The idiots at wal-mart don't know what they are talking about. I looked at the Sig AR's too and the tag said .223 Rem but the AR its self said 5.56. You know more than they do even if you don't know much.
  7. Gopher3604x4

Gopher3604x4 G&G Newbie

One more thing you should know that they don't. The Sig has a 1:7 twist and most if not all of the others like the DPMS have a 1:9 twist.
  8. hello breezie

hello breezie G&G Newbie

are there any advantages to the 1:7 vs the 1:9

also is the sig with all the magpul bells and whistles worth the extra 400 and change?
  9. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

You can shoot heavier (70+ grain) bullets in a 1:7 twist.
  10. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You would have to look at what the barrel is marked. Which could be different than what the receiver says.

Especially with the DPMS rifles. They are known for putting 5.56 on the lowers, advertizing them as such, and then using improperly reamed/sized parts that are somewhere between .223 and 5.56 chamberings....or just putting a straight .223 barrel on them. I am really surprised they have not been sued yet for negligence.
  11. Gopher3604x4

Gopher3604x4 G&G Newbie

My 1:7 Sig seems to shoot tighter groups at longer range that my other ARs in 1:9 twist with the same 62gr ammo. I can't say for sure if it is due to the rate of twist or what.
  12. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Your 1:7 rifle just might like that type of ammo more than your other ARs, but I don't know.
  13. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

The Wal Mart in Helena, MT had this same setup today. Sig M400 for $917 and DPMS for $587. Sure wish I could get my .270 sold so I could get the DPMS.
  14. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The store on Loop 288 here in Denton, Tx. has a Colt LE6920 @ $1097.00 now.
  15. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

ooh lucky.... no one has any 6920s in stock around here.
  16. hello breezie

hello breezie G&G Newbie

I think i am going to pick up the dpms with my next paycheck just to make sure i have an ar if something crazy happens in the near future.
  17. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

I don't know why so many hate DPMS. I've shot 3 or 4 of them and they performed flawlessly. And for what I'd use it for, it'd be perfect. The second I get my pre-64 Winchester sold, I'm getting one. I'll be swapping out the stock and handguard but other than that they're solid.
  18. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

Are the SIG ARs comparable quality to the other AR makers? I have been lusting after the SIG Rm400 at walmart. Its setup just the way I like an AR to be, even has my fave Ogre OD Green stocks! and the Magpul grip doesnt have that STUPID STUPID STUPID lil ''finger knob'' on it like 98% of ARs do.

Conversely...the DPMS is a great price. May settle on it.
  19. gradymayhem

gradymayhem G&G Regular

I've never shot a Sig AR, but I have nothing but compliments for the DPMS. Love my buddy's DPMS 6.8, and like the 5.56 I shot once. I've heard talk of some ejection issues but have never had any trouble (in my meager 100 rounds or so). If you can save a good amount by going DPMS, I definitely would. Sig's probably better, but I doubt it justifies the price hike unless you're really serious about your ARs.

Edit: Sorry, cmptr's acting up and it jumped me to the post right above mine so I never read the OP. $500 is suspiciously cheap for a DPMS, so is $900 for a Sig. I haven't seen a non .22 go for under $800, haven't seen a non .22 Sig go for under $1200. Is there some kind of massive sale I should know about? Are you sure you're talking .223 or 5.56 instead of .22? If that Sig is legitimately under $1000 in .223 or 5.56, I'd snap that right up.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  20. MTWillie

MTWillie G&G Newbie

I didn't even think to look...was the DPMS you saw at Wal-Mart the model with the dust cover? If not they're not the one I'm looking for.