Silencers for a .22

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dan22, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Enthusiast

Seems to me, in a survival situation, you would want to keep any noise down so I was wondering if anyone knows of a "Quick & Dirty" method of coming up with a slip-on silencer for a .22 rifle or pistol.

Yes, Silencers are illegal under normal circumstances but survival is survival.
  2. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

Stretch an uninflated latex balloon over the barrel.
  3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Anything that "SLIPS ON" is going to "SLIP OFF" with the first shot.Even a little .22 developes too much pressure(as much as double what a shotgun developes)for anything that isnt securely attached and strongly constructed.To play around with silencers is not only illegal,it is flat dangerous.A latex balloon or rubber was a good way to keep water out of the barrel but it just makes a louder bang when fired through. sam.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

Try it some time.
  5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

We used prophilactics all the time in the service to keep mud out of the barrel.With .22lr,s I never noticed much difference.When you fire a shot the balloon is inflated with the air ahead of the bullet.Then the bullet breaks the balloon and both the balloon and the gasses released when the bullet leaves the muzzle go bang.If the bullet is supersonic it goes bang too.The silencer is a chamber that gathers the gasses and releases them slowly.They cant be gathered with a balloon as it is broken before they can be gathered.Might work on a big strong bladder like footballs have.I dont know. sam.
  6. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I have heard of people uses plastic soft-drink bottles, but any rigged silencer is illegal. I would recommend just getting the real deal with a tax stamp.
  7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

It didnt work.I used a pair of pliers to squeeze the neck eggshaped and slid it over the front sight.It was about the same in noise and blew a 3/4" hole right in the center of the bottom.I dont know why the hole is so big,I was using Federal hv lr,s.The hole is so dead center it is probably the best shot I ever made.And it was a one handed point in a safe direction and jerk the trigger. sam.
  8. BloodRedStratus

BloodRedStratus G&G Newbie

My dad use to always say you could make one out of a lawn mower muffler. He said they started adding a plate inside them to stop people from doing that. But if you remove the plate or drill through it would work. I know they are illegal, but I am just saying.
  9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I am not going to destroy my lawnmower muffler to check this out.I saw one made out of 1" gas pipe and brazed togather and screwed on a .22 pistol barrel.They fired one hv .22lr and it blew the brazing job all to h***.They had steel wool and 1/4" pipe with holes drilled in it on the inside.They were lucky nothing flew in their direction. sam.
  10. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You can't effectively "silence" a supersonic round. Use the Primer-only Super Colibri .22 round - very quiet out of a bolt-action rifle, and will kill small game inside twenty yards. CCI CB Longs are quiet too.

And totally legal!! :)
  11. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I am saving up for a legal silencer for my Walther p22. A guy builds them locally (legally) at his shop. I think I would have about $275 + $200 tax stamp. He let me demo one at his shop - the loudest thing you heard was the slide slamming forward. Very cool. It is about #3 on my want list. So it shouldn't be too far out! It is right behind the 24" bull barrel AR and the 10mm pistol.
  12. A-10

A-10 G&G Newbie

Cut a potato in half and put it on the muzzle. I'm surprised this one hasn't already been mentioned. I'm not necissarily recommending it though. I've just heard a couple stories about this.
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I dont believe they wanted to roast a potato over an open fire,I think they wanted to shoot silently. sam.
  14. bored2bhere

bored2bhere G&G Newbie

why not buy one them air pistols they should be silent enough to kill rabbits and be legal :196:
  15. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

Subsonic 22s with a 16oz plastic bottle secured to the muzzle.I hope the BATF/E ain't tuned in to G&G,this is underground technology we are conquering,like Randy Weaver stuff!:bigeyes:
  16. Triggerjerk

Triggerjerk G&G Newbie

You really ought to go to Paladin Press if you want that kind of info. They know that it's illegal, too. That's why they put disclaimers on the books they sell saying that they're only for informational purposes. Please do not discuss illegal activity here under the justification that survival situations give you the right to break the law.
  17. JoeLee

JoeLee Suspended

Triggerjerk,10-4 it's Gun&Game not covert weapons time.Class 3 ain't me BATF/E,hear me!!

Joe B Lee.,
  18. ruger22com

ruger22com G&G Newbie

We have a LOT of guys at our club ( http://pascagouladcm.com see the movies! ) that have silencers and full autos too....all it takes is a simple tax stamp and you are on your way. silenced .22's are pretty amazing!
  19. teenagegunwacho

teenagegunwacho G&G Newbie

Tampax!!?

A friend the same age as me(15) say a coke bottle filled with feminen products works on a 22 but dont hold me to it?
    In case you didnt know i meant slipped over the barrel.
    Also i hear if you spit down the barrel it will be good for about a shot or 2
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  20. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    subsonic ammo