Simmons Scopes any good?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by CrazyIvan, Mar 13, 2013.

1. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

What is your guys' opinion of Simmons Rifle scopes? I like that they are made here in the USA, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily good.

Looking for optics for my new Weatherby Vanguard in .308 to be used this fall for deer/elk.

I don't think I would buy another, because the quality seems to be inconsistemt, but I was lucky to buy a Barska scope that is 10-40x and it hasn't had any issues, holds zero well and works great on my AR-15, so I do have to say, I like the variable zoom scopes, 6.5-20x or 6-21x:

Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable

Simmons 44 Mag Rifle Scope 6-21x 44mm Side Focus Truplex Reticle Matte

I would love a high end Leupold, but keep in mind if you suggest anything, I really don't want to spend more than maybe $150 or so on a new scope. The rifle was $350.

Thanks!
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

some people swear by them, i swear at them. never had any kind of luck with simmons.
  3. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

Made in the USA? Nope. China and the Phillipines.
  4. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

There are a hundful of scopes that are made in the US and I don't think any binoculars or spotting scopes are made in the US.
    Here's the short list that I know of.

Leupold Vari-X 1 and above
    Redfield Revolution (revenge series is asian)
    US Optics
    The high end Burris optics, such as the LE scopes.
    Trijicon
    Ziess Conquest series.

That's about it. Maybe left one out.
  5. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Simmons is not a bad scope but the ones I have owned were hit or miss. Barska scopes are not nearly as clear as the Simmons especially at higher power ranges....they get cloudy at higher ranges.

If you want to stick in the 150 range you can get a Bushnell Banner or even a Redfield for that money. You can even hawk ebay and find a used Leupold for 150. All those are better scopes than Barska.

Word to the wise, if you are going to run budget scopes.....bring rifles as back up. Or ones that have back up iron sights. Just saying.
  6. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

Nikon or redfield are the only 2 budget scopes that get my approval in hunting scopes. Simmons are a missed trophy waiting to happen

I only buy "used scopes" from people I know and trust. Any bought on line or in store are a gamble at best... Even high end scopes

The older I've gotten the stranger I've found that we buy a weapon,even so called budget firearms, and then handicap them by putting a sighting system on it because of lack of funds. The sighting system is the building block. The weapon is only the mortar that holds it together
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  7. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Enthusiast

Simmons is about like any other scope in that you are getting what you paid for. I had one about 15 years ago that I was happy to get rid of.

Now having said that, I'll say this. The manufacturing machinery of today is capable of very close tolerances (if materials and operating procedures are selected accordingly). That can lead to a surprising decent value in a lower cost scope. However, "Let the buyer beware". They cost less for a reason.
  8. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Constitutionalist Forum Contributor

I was going to suggest a Millet LRS, but I just noticed that the prices have gone up on them. I have 2, bought knowing full-well they were budget scopes and with low expectations, but have been extremely pleased with them.
  9. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

Simmons used to be junk but they have greatly improved. I have a couple of newer ones and have had no problems with them.
  10. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

CI, may I ask what type of hunting you will be doing? If you are deer hunting on the plains a 6-20 may be fine, but in the woods / thicket 6x will be like looking through a toilet paper roll.

Also, unless you are buying at least a mid grade scope, the 6 may be fine, but the 20 is going to look horrible on a cheap scope. Granted the banner is a nice scope, just a little bulky for my taste.

I would suggest keeping it down to maybe 4-12x40 or 4-16x44, just that there are companies that offer better glass and coatings for the same amount of money as a cheap 6-20.

Redfield revenge, Vortex Diamondback, even Nikon prostaff or Buckmaster.

Dont forget that Vortex, Leupold, Redfield (revolution) all have lifetime transferable warranty, so if you buy used you can still send it in if needed. The Nikons have a 20 year, or something like that.
  11. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Just another suggestion. My Bushnell was in the $150 range and has heldup on my 30-06. Its and XLT model that is a cut above the Banner line. Nice to get a bargain as long as it does its job and holds together.
  12. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Enthusiast

You took the words right out of my mouth..........

Had a couple of the older ones and never could get them to perform. Sold them off..........for a loss of course.
  13. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

CI, the rifle was 350 bucks, you ought to be able to find a Vari X 2 or a Nikon Monarch, or a US made Redfield for a little less than that. That's the minimum I would recommend.
  14. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

Hunting will range from hilly, mountain country with both lots of trees, as well as large open areas for deer and elk, maybe bear to the widely open grasslands for pronghorn.

Maybe a 4-16x would be best.
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

I have not bought a Simmons scope in 10 - 12 years.

The ones I did buy back then were the cheapies from Wal-Mart to put on my plinking .22 rifles.

The ONLY complaint I had with them was that the reticles would not adjust when you turned the knobs.

I found that tapping the knobs, after every couple clicks, would get them to move, and once they were "zeroed" I left them alone.

They have held "zero" at 100 yards for over ten years of constant range play.
  16. rob g

rob g G&G Regular

i have a simmons on my 30-06 and have never had any trouble with it
    rob
  17. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I9 use to have a Simmons on a 22 Magnum I had Years ago ( dont know why I sold It) Worked great and never had a problem with it . was so impressed with it I bought a simmons White tail classic for My winchester model 70 . Was like night and day . Had to sight it in everytime I went to the range.
  18. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

i have a few of there 8point series never had a problem with any of there scopes
  19. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Newbie

I have a Simmons that I put on my 22 rifle. I really like it. Very clear optics. I have only had it for a couple of months, but it seems that, for the money, it's great!
  20. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

Have about 6 Simmons scopes that were purchased over last 3 or so years. They are mostly ProHunter models in 6-18X power range, one 44 mag 6-21x44. Think all of mine were made before Meade sold Simmons to Bushnell.

I've no complaints about mine. Glass is decent and turrets are acceptable to me.