Single to double stack conversion

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bearcreek, Dec 17, 2008.

1. bearcreek

bearcreek G&G Newbie

I recently purchased a single stack romanian ak and i'd like to convert it to double stack. I've read several threads on here that said all you need to do is file out the magazine well and it will fit. It looks to me like some of the internal parts on mine will need to be modified as well in order for it to fit. Am I just seeing things or is that true? Does anyone have a diagram of what needs to be done here?
  2. keymasr5912

keymasr5912 G&G Newbie

my older son had the same problem with his. he spent several nights with a dremmel slowly widening the mag opening. after he got the opening wide enough. the mags still would not seat correctly. he spent more time removing material at the front and rear of the mag. he would put a couple rounds in the mag and slowly close the bolt while watching how the rounds fed. he did this with 2 mags about 2 yrs ago and they both work 100%. he just told me last week that he was probably going to alter another mag. it seemed like quite a pita to do but he has probably fired a couple thousand rounds without 1 ftf. i would be afraid of screwing up a perfectly good weapon if i tried it but if you are good with hand tools and have alot of patients it could work out well for you. i would think that there should be someway to do this without altering the mags but that worked for him.
  3. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

Most of the AKs one sees for sale now with out the dimples over the mag wells are reamed out single stackers.
    I had one that when the mag was inserted(with difficulty) it was almost impossible to get out.
    If you are considering buying one with out the dimples try inserting and removing the mags,if it does OK you have a pretty good buy
  4. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

If your WASR10 came in a single stack mag configuration it requires a little more than to just file it or dremel the mag well to a larger size. Since the single stack wasr's don't have the dimples in the side of the receiver you will get severe mag wobble, side to side, if you only widen it. Century Arms converts lo-cap to hi-cap and when they do they spot weld rails inside the receiver that act to counter the mag wobble. The mags however still will wobble some, some worse than others and there is an awful tendency for the mags to get stuck while inserting them. I have had to stomp a few out of my rifle with my foot for that very reason. Nothing a rubber mallet can't fix ;)

Your best bet is to search for the hi-cap mag rails and have a gun smith do the conversion for you.
  5. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Just a thought, if you would like I can try to either post or send you photos of what the mag well when widened should look like if you are considering this yourself. There is quite a bit of material that is removed.
  6. Mandarax

Mandarax G&G Newbie

If you'll pardon my ignorance, what's the difference between "double stack" and "single stack"? Is it like, double stack has the rounds in a zig-zag pattern in the magazine, while single-stack has one perfectly atop the other?
  7. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Correct my friend ;) Also the double stacks come in higher round counts, 30, 40, 75 etc., the single stack (lo-cap) are 5, 10, or 20.
  8. bearcreek

bearcreek G&G Newbie

That would be great. I've tried to find a gunsmith near me that can do that kind of conversion, but nobody I've talked to so far knows anything about it. I live in northeast ohio. If anybody knows of someone that does work on AK's near here, please let me know.
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have the Romanian Romak 991 singlestacker. Been wanting to convert it. It has no dimples - only short "L" brackets spot-welded inside the receiver. It would be quite easy to drill the welds, and pop-rivet in some longer "L" brackets for the sway braces.
    I have compared the mag catch on my narrow ten-round mag to the regular 30-rounders - the catch is in a different position. So I would need to do some modification there.
    I have also wondered about the feeding - is the bolt and the feed ramp the same as on the standard AK?
    I have fitted my 991 with the old MAK90 Sporter thumbhole stock - a good inch or more length of pull, and a much more comfortable PG. Looks better too - but modding the mounting area of the stock was major work - the stock mountings are quite different!
  10. bearcreek

bearcreek G&G Newbie

Thats the one I have. The Romak 991. Im not real familiar with the different ak variants, so I was'nt sure what I had till I read your post and looked closely at mine.
  11. bearcreek

bearcreek G&G Newbie

I was doing some searching on this and saw your post from a couple years ago. You been wanting to do this for some time now huh? Are you saying the only way to make this work would be to modify the magazine since the catch is in a different spot?
  12. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yep, not sure if it'd be easier to modify the magazine or the rifle - I'd like to have it able to take any off-the-shelf AK mag though. The catch is higher on one than the other - have to check it this weekend and review my ideas.
    Since I'd never be able to sell this nuetered AK for anything like i have into it, modding it is looking like a better idea all the time. Those skinny ten round mags are hard to find too! Local gunshop wants $25 for one! Sheesh. :crying:
    I have back-burnered modding it since I have two SKS, a Bushmaster and a CETME to fill my "Assault Weapon" needs. :smokin:
  13. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

14. stoney79

stoney79 G&G Newbie

20 rd single stack?

Sprout where can you get 20 rd single stacks for the ak-47? I have only found single stacks in 10 round mags.
  15. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Stoney, I either misspoke or they are hard to find. :(
  16. topgun542

topgun542 G&G Newbie

who makes 20rd single stacked mags for the ak-47? ive been looking everywhere for some!
  17. Vlad92

Vlad92 G&G Newbie

so if your magazine wobbles, its been modded for double stack?
  18. nfafan

nfafan G&G Newbie

FWIW,

With the exception of the WASR underfolders, ALL other WASRs enter the USA as single-stack, Dragonov/PSL-stocked "sporters".

They are then worked over by Century subcontracters to make them 922-compliant - and with bayo lugs, pistolgrips, hi-caps, threaded muzzles as needed by Century..
    That is why some WASRs have hi-caps and no bayo-lugs, some have the full pre-ban dress-up, while others are sold as single-stacks - - with PSL stocks or P-grips depending on where in the USA the target market could be.

Underfolders go thru a more thorough USA-parts count mod for 922.