SK DILEMA.. Ideas

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cross Hair, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

Ok, I want everyones honest opininion of what I should do...

I have two SKS's, a Norinco that has a folding stock and tact scope already on it and a 58' romanian with all matching numbers and all original... pics included

I was going to get an AK and deck it out, but with wife, kids and economy... you know...

The problem I have is that I hate my Norinco. It has never worked right. Missfires, jams clip issues ... etc. I can only shoot solid point if I want to hopefully shoot 6-7 in a row!
    My romanian is awesome, can shoot whatever I want and is good looking original. All numbers match original equipment.

I am thinking of going ahead and decking my romanian out tactical. All I see is the same stuff at every site. Any suggestions of cool swag to do this gun out in would be appreciated.

Also, I am torn with leaving it alone!

Dont know what to do... suggestions yea or nay please!

Attached Files:

2. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Sell them both and buy an AR or M1A!

Or fix the Norinco, then do it up & keep the Romanian as is.
  3. sv_libertarian

sv_libertarian G&G Newbie

Leave the romy alone, it's worth more in original shape. Tell us more about the Chicom rifle. Factory mag (clips are the little metal strips you feed the fixed box mag with) or one of those jam o matic aftermarket removable mags?
  4. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

Aftermarket removable mags. Only my Romy came with the fixed box. I can use aftermarkets just fine in old trusty 58'.

I have tried different metal mags, plastic mags... they all snap in place just fine and seem to feed up ok as the springs are all good and the same clips work in romy.
    doesnt seem to feed up right as "most" jams or malfunctions work as follows...
    squeeze trigger, gun fires, spent shell ejects, receiver comes halfway closed, next round doesnt come up or if it does it hits left of its "home!" and jams up.
    With first mag that came with it when I got it, I would have to put first round in chamber and then insert the magazine to get going.
    OH, I got it already done if that helps any.
  5. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

With the prices of SKS's being so low anyway, how much more is it really worth by leaving it alone? AND as it seems the Norinco has issues after being done, could altering my romy lead to its not working right?

The 1958 Romy is number 2099, stock, receiver and barrel stamped the same. Any ideas of value? Had it quite awhile and was given it as a birthday present from a family friend (great friend huh!).

Paid $400 for Norinco, with foldable stock and decent scope... I think in retrospect it was a bit high.. especially given it hasnt worked right from the getgo.
  6. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

It seems as if the SKS is doomed to everyone wanting to make it a AK!!
    If you want a AK go buy one and leave the SKS alone..I wasnt meant to be a automatic!!!!!!

Yes you paid way to much for the norinco , at least around my neck of the woods.. I sold two very close to yours for 200 bucks apiece not long ago
  7. KC IN TC

KC IN TC G&G Newbie

Cross,
    Looks like you could go several ways with this one. First dump the Norinco. I don't like them and have not heard alot of good from many. Take the goodies off that one and put them on the Rommy and keep the original bits so that you can return to original. Or, once you've sold the ChiCom to some body you really don't like buy yourself a new Yugo for tricking. I know that this is a shot (I know very punny) in the dark but try putting the stock on the Rommy and see if the problem follows. I have seen a couple instances where the stock must have been from a bad mold and the mag did not line up right. In any case pass on the Norinco and go Eastern Bloc.:smokin:
  8. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I love my Chinese and it works perfectly with my tapco, folding, and wooden stocks and with my tapco mags and steel 30rd mags. The romy probably happens to have the right tolerances for the mags to work. Try the 10rd box in the Chinese and see if that works. In any case, if I had a Romanian, I would not sell it unless I was forced to.
  9. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

first that romy stock wont fit the norinco ..second the romy is C&R and the chinese isnt so if that matters keep in mind its harder to sell unless its FTF
    I have had several Chicoms and never had any problem with them feeding from a stock mag , the problem comes from aftermarket mags(it want designed to use 20 or 30 round mags)You may have problem getting all your money back from the chinese depending on your area..find a stock mag and see what it does
  10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

If it were me, I'd leave the Romanian in original configuration, to begin with. It's already a great rifle; don't screw around with it.

First thing with the Norinco: lose those detachable mags. Get a fixed box mag and put it back where it belongs. Simonov didn't design the rifle with a detachable mag and I have never heard of a conversion to detachable magazines that worked well. You want detachable mags, buy yourself an AK and have done with it.

Next thing: now that you've resolved the jamming issues by bringing the rifle back to its original operating configuration, think about putting a laser on it, and perhaps a real muzzle brake, a circular one, unless you are detemined to keep the bayonet. But most tactical SKS rifles lose that and replace it with a bipod. Do you already have a bipod? And you haven't said where the scope is mounted. That affects whether you can use stripper clips or have to load one round at a time.

Could you put up a photo so we can see what you have already done to it, maybe?
  11. 29er savoy

29er savoy G&G Newbie

put a D C engineering scope mount on the romy with a good scope and shoot it.
  12. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

I took the scope off when coyotes came in 24hr season to shoot at night.
    However, I have been using the romy since it is reliable in the field.

I only have the fixed box that came with the romy, would that work in the Norinco? Especially since it has had the synthetic stock put on it. The chicom did not come with a bayonet and I never put one on it. I was going to get a bipod for it, but with all the issues I have had I kinda got disenchanted with the gun and am the point that if I am spending money on one I want to invest in one that will give me proper service.

I think I am going to strip the norinco down and and pay special attention to the gas tube like someone else suggested. Magazines go into this chicom real easy. My romy takes and shoots magazines but they are harder to "click" into position.

Pic at top in my original post of both rifles. I know now that I could have got the fold up stock for the chicom for 20 bucks at the gun show and the scope for around 65 so I didnt get a real good deal, but I was happy that it was done already by a gunsmith so I thought at the time it wasnt bad. (never go that route again!)

thanks 4 all the helpful suggestions so far!
  13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Keep that Romy original, and put the stock magazine on the Chicom !
  14. Cross Hair

Cross Hair G&G Newbie

I am going to follow some good advice I got from another user here and strip the Norinco down and clean the gas tube well. I am crossing my fingers that helps!

Thanks for all the suggestions from all! I got some thinkin to do!
  15. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

good Advise!!!
  16. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Use your high cap sks mags for weight on your trot line and enjoy shooting your chicom .
  17. thumperpaul

thumperpaul G&G Newbie

Modify the 'Rinco, but PLEASE leave the Romanian intact. (IMO).
    My buddy has the Norinco SKS D with a bunch of (pinned) 30 round mags and the aftermarket folding synthetic stock. It's quite accurate, and he's had very few misfires with it. He paid $150 Canadian for it a few years ago....