SKS Law

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Knight63, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Knight63

Knight63 G&G Newbie

Sorry for another SKS law post, but I'm still very confused. I want to put a tapco 20 round magazine (USA made) on my SKS. Is this legal? Is it pretty much legal to put any thing on an SKS as long as it is American made. Thanks for the help.
  2. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Enthusiast

Go to www.calguns.net

They have a 922r list there. You can find simple explanations in detail there also. Even if you don't live in the PRK.
  3. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Enthusiast

4. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Enthusiast

As for the 20 round mag, as far as my understanding goes, changing an SKS will require you to make it 922(r) compliant, so no, you can't put something on just because it is US made. Military surplus SKS's are Curio and Relic eligible, so they don't have to comply, UNTIL you change anything on them, then they must have no more than 10 restricted parts foreign made. Norincos that were already imported are "grandfathered" (they are banned from import presently,) but if you change anything, then they must be compliant. If your rifle is a Norinco, then to use a Tapco mag, would give you an American made magazine body, follower, and floorplate, so you would either need to remove your bayonet, or replace another restricted part with an American one. (According to the parts list posted above, with 14 restricted parts.) Commonly people replace their gas piston with one from Tapco. TAPCO-Premium US Made Rifle Accessories -. If you have a Yugo SKS, the grenade launcher is a restricted part as well. Hope this makes sense, and that I haven't misstated anything. Someone will probably be along shortly to correct me! :)

There is also a Sticky at the top of the SKS forums, and it lists 16 restricted parts, 17 for a Yugo. I understand that the understanding has changed since then! :)

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/sk...egalities-what-you-can-change-what-takes.html
  5. res45

res45 G&G Regular

Floorplate doesn't count there is no floorplate on an original 10 rd. fixed box magazine only mag body and follower. You can only count compliant parts that are on the rifle as it exist and exchange them for American made parts.

The Tapco mag would only count as 2 parts on the standard SKS with the 10 rd. fixed mag you will need to exchange two more to bring the parts count down to 10. If it's a Yugo M59/66 with launcher and you use a Tapco mag you will need to replace 3 extra parts to bring it to 10 or less original parts count.

List of the original 15 compliant parts that pertain to the SKS rifle.
    1. Receiver.
    2. Barrel.
    3. Muzzle attachment. Yugo M59/66 only
    4. Bolt.
    5. Bolt carrier.
    6. Gas piston.
    7. Trigger housing.
    8. Trigger.
    9. Hammer.
    10. Sear.
    11. Disconnector.
    12. Buttstock.
    13. Forearm/handguard.
    14. Magazine body.
    15. Follower.
  6. conradwojo

conradwojo G&G Newbie

I have a Yugo with that ugly and heavy appendage on the muzzle. Can I just take it off and NOT replace it with anything? I see that most if not all 922 compliance kits include a replacement for this part. My plan is to either cut the barrel a bit and re-crown or just mill off the threads if I can get away with it.
  7. res45

res45 G&G Regular

Thats why it's a Yugo M59/66 no other SKS is made like that,as far as being heavy the Yugo weighs 1 lb. more than the standard SKS. By the time you make that Yugo compliant have the barrel cut and recrowned you could just sell it as is and buy you two decent Chinese SKS rifles.

Yes you can take it off and not replace it,but since it one of the original 15 compliant parts you still have to remove and replaces 5 of the original parts with US MADE parts. Just taking the launcher off and moding the barrel like it never had one doesn't let you off the 922 hook.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

You should be able to like unscrew that spigot and screw on a shorter less.....GAY compensator/flash compensator on there.
  9. Knight63

Knight63 G&G Newbie

Thanks everybody.
  10. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter Suspended

****NOTE TO EVERYONE, LEGAL DISCLAIMER****
    I'm in no way suggesting that anyone break any firearms laws, the following is merely a question...

But seriously, without a complete tear-down of your rifle, how is anyone going to know that your rifle is not "compliant"? Seems to me that if they already have your rifle and have stripped it down, you're in for a bit of trouble anyway. Just sayin'...
  11. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

So it's Gay, even though you don't know what it is??

Try Grenade Launcher...

12. conradwojo

conradwojo G&G Newbie

Well looks like I still need to go 922 compliant as I expected. I was more concerned about the legality of a bare threaded barrel. BTW - My SKS rifles are both project rifles, not collectibles. I bought them as cheap alternatives for semi-auto deer rifles when I lived back in Michigan. I also do all my own work so no cost there. When I am done with this one it will probably have a lightweight composite stock, detachable mag, shortened barrel with NO appendage, no factory sights at all and an accurate scope system. Hope I don't hurt anyones feelings here but that is all a SKS is to me. I am doing this to a Yugo cause I am very intrigued by the gas shut off option. The Yugos also seem to have a better reputation for accuracy. I have one scoped grandfathered Chinese already. Just looking for a lightweight fun gun that is also accurate out to 300 yards to boot. Some day it'll happen.
  13. sv_libertarian

sv_libertarian G&G Newbie

You take the launcher off the Yugo except for short term shooting purposes, you void the C&R status and it has to be be rebuilt to be 922(r)

If you want to put a 20 round mag into a Norinco or other standard SKS, you need two more US parts to be 922(r) compliant. Stock and handguard or stock and gas piston are two easy mods.
  14. Archetype_wyo

To my knowledge Wyoming doesn't have any 922r compliance laws.
  15. res45

res45 G&G Regular

922r isn't state law it Federal law,some states like NY and CA to name a few want even allow you to make modifications to your firearms that 922r allows you to do ie detachable mags,mag capacity,certain stock configurations,muzzle divices,the list goes on.
  16. Archetype_wyo

Gotcha, so basically it's like you have to have less than 10 of the imported parts on your gun if you go to modify it in any way??
  17. res45

res45 G&G Regular

Thats correct,10 or less of the original imported parts on the list from my previous post,but you also have to check with you local and state laws because even though the Federal laws may allow you to remove that part and replace it with a compliant US made part,state law may not,state gun laws usually equals what Federal laws do and sometime even are more restrictive,CA,NY and NJ are good examples of that.

Take for instants the Tapco detachable 20 rd mags. There perfectly legal in NC and many other states,but in CA there not they have to have a 10 rd max capacity limiter even though they look exactly like the 20 rd mag. and they have to be pinned in and non detachable. I'm notup on NY laws concerning the SKS but I believe the adjustable Tapco stock and maybe even folders are also a no no and it has to pinned in a fixed length position.
  18. Archetype_wyo

Ahhh it's nice to live in Wyoming. So would aftermarket sights be considered a 922(r) compliant part?? Since a Norinco never had a muzzle device would adding one be considered a compliant part?? It is made in the USA by Choate.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  19. res45

res45 G&G Regular

Here is the best way I know how to explain it.

The only parts you have to be concerned with when it comes to being compliant are the 15 parts listed as they pertain to your rifle,if you remove any one of the said part then you have to replace it with a US made part,by removing that one part it puts you in 922 then and you have to remove the extra required number of parts to have a legal compliant rifle,it's your choice as to which parts you choose to replace as long as it meet the required number for that rifle. On the 10 rd. fixed magazine SKS rifle the total # of parts you have to change out is 4 the exception is the Yugo M59/66 SKS because it has the grenade launcher/muzzle attachment the total for it would be 5.

Any part that is not on the list as it pertains to your rifle can be removed,added or changes as you wish and not affect the rifles compliance,sights front and rear,scope mounts,gas tube,receiver cover,spring loaded firing pin,muzzle attachments,etc. do not affect the rifles compliance as long as state and local laws allow it also.

The thing about 922 is you can only count compliant parts,you can't make modifications add a part that wasn't on the rifle originally and count it as a compliant part. You can't say well I have this 10 rd fixed mag SKS,I put a Tapco or other brand stock on it that 1 part,a Tapco mag or another brand name mag. that 2 more parts which gives you a total of 3 parts.

Now you still have one more part to replace to be compliant on the fixed mag Chinese you can't slap a muzzle brake on it as call that the forth part because the Chinese never had a muzzle brake on it to begin with,it doesn't count agents you but neither does it help you,you have to use parts from the list when it comes to compliance. If your just removing or replacing parts that are not on the list of 15 and it's legal to do so in your state or local jurisdiction you don't have to worry about 922.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  20. sv_libertarian

sv_libertarian G&G Newbie

SKS' have 14 parts (excepting the Yugo's which have 15) the second piston isn't considered a separate part, and the mag only counts as two parts, since there is no removable floor plate.

Sights don't count. Adding parts that weren't there don't count.

On a Chinese SKS you have 14 parts (trigger, hammer, sear, trigger guard,disconnector magazine body, mag follower, bolt, bolt carrier, stock, handguard, gas piston, barrel, receiver )

You first have to replace parts you already have (which is why a tapco mag counts as two parts, not three. You don't have a removable floorplate on a stock SKS mag).

The US made parts you can get for your Chinese SKS are trigger, hammer, sear, mag and follower, bolt, gas piston, stock and handguard.

Once you put 4 or more US made parts into your Chinese (or any other standard SKS, yugo has 15 parts due to the launcher) you can do anything else you want to it as it is no longer considered an imported rifle.

This is an excellent article about 922(r) legality. 922(r) Parts Count Info from ATF - 14 Parts!